Anyone have IBS before WLS?

kait8513
on 8/17/11 4:49 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
I have my first appt with my surgeon the end of this week, but I wanted some input.

I have IBS and always joke that it isn't WHAT I eat, it is THAT I eat... I am always running to the bathroom.  Did anyone else have these issues before WLS?  How did your body handle the diet afterward?  Does losing the weight help with some of these issues?

Thanks!
--Kaitlyn
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 4:53 am
Me.
So far, I have had one short lasting flare up- bad cramping & runs for 30 mins, but it was after eating a trigger on an empty stomach. Otherwise, it's actually been a lot better. I think it's the diet, and the smaller amounts of food that are helping in my case. 
roogirlmulder
on 8/17/11 5:09 am - San Diego, CA
I have IBS and am about to undergo surgery, so I can definitely keep you updated in how my body handles it!

Sian
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."
Surgery Date 8/25/2011
Highest Weight 310lbs - Current Weight 154lbs - Goal Weight 175lbs

sfnativewm
on 8/17/11 5:10 am
My IBS-D has improved immensely.  I do get bouts but nothing like before.    With the band and eating 75% protein first the a veggie I am losing slow but less diarrhea.    I also do not eat anything white anymore (rice, potatoes, bread, etc) and no candy at all!!!   Basically stick to 30 grams of carbs per day!  Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Wissixwe
on 8/17/11 8:08 am - Pottstown, PA
I had IBS prior to my RNY.  How bad? Let's just saythat I always knew by instinct where the nearest Bathroom was!

Funny thing is that the RNY seemed to cure it. I still make sure I have my meds in my pcoketbook, but never seem to need them.

In fact, after RNY I had my first experience with constipation ever.   Memorable.

JanR
This dream is for you, so pay the price.
Make one dream come true -
You Only Live Twice

kait8513
on 8/17/11 8:31 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
Jan...
I am familiar with every bathroom everywhere!!!  My husband never bothers to look at a map when we go to Disney, he just asks me :)

I don't have any illusions that I will be miraculously cured, but I thought maybe with the change in dietary requirements it would help my issues.... thanks!

Constipation???  What is that?
Wissixwe
on 8/17/11 8:46 am - Pottstown, PA
It really felt kinda miraculous. I think you will be happy with the change.

Constipation? It will take awhile before you realize what it is. It's a lot like childbirth, only you don't get a baby at the end.

Plan ahead; buy a package of disposable enemas. Have them in the bathroom closet, just in case.

JanR
This dream is for you, so pay the price.
Make one dream come true -
You Only Live Twice

kait8513
on 8/17/11 9:07 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
Too bad I had a c-section and don't know what child birth feels like ;) 

LOL... Thanks!
dani02
on 8/17/11 8:15 am - Utica, MI
I had and still have IBS but with constipation versus the other. I was also
lactose intolerant prior to surgery. My RNY did not fix my problems. And the
things I did before to "fix" my problem do not work anymore. So I just have
to watch my diet, my mood and my exercise. Any of these things that aren't
the same and I am in trouble. Pay attention to your body and just be prepared.
Sorry I know that I didn't help but your not alone.

Dani

maggiet
on 8/17/11 8:27 am - Durham, NC
I have IBS and haven't had any problems since my surgery 2.5 months ago. That is not to say it won't happen but I do think the better diet is helping some.

Most Active