Snacks

Wannabhealthy barbie
on 8/20/11 12:58 am
I am not a fan of meals at all, but I like to snack every few hours. What are good things to snack on to get the protien and things I need since I am not sitting down to meals.

jenysez1
on 8/20/11 1:42 am - LA
2% string cheese, yogurt, love edamame, pudding, protein bars (love atkins, pure protein, and my favorite is supreme protein carb concious)

Jenny

jenysez1
on 8/20/11 5:33 am - LA
I was hoping some others would add there list, b/c I was curious.  I also make a trail mix by mixing different nuts and dry roasted soy beans with cranberry and raisans.  I really like that to munch on.

Jenny

Lisarn1
on 8/20/11 6:06 am - Raleigh, NC
I'm not much of a snacker, but I try to have certain items available all the time. I generally eat 4 times a day, but that's just me. Some of my favorite staples include: 

*Greek yogurt mixed with vanilla protein powder (I don't do shakes). In the morning I'll add cinnamon to it

*Individual can of tuna mixed with a little lite mayo & SF pickle relish served with soy crisps

*Sashimi w/edamame (we have a sushi bar at work)

*Stewed tomato & zucchini w/LF cheddar or mozzarella & a MSF spicy sausage pattie (vegetarian) over shirataki tofu noodles or spaghetti squash

*Ragu Light Alfred overshirataki tofu noodles or spaghetti squash, also w/MSF spicy sausage pattie

*Spinach salad with either tuna, shrimp, scallops, grilled tofu, or some other vegetarian protein, avacado, onion, carrot, snap peas, tomato, LF cheese, and balsamic vinegarette

*Vegetarian chilli (black beans, diced tomatos, chilli pepper and cumin to taste, and MSF veggie crumbles)

*Egg Beater Fratata w/LF cheese, zucchini, onion, and MSF veggie crumbles

One last comment, if I may. Even if sometimes eating on the run may seem to work for our daily schedule, there is something positive to be said about sitting down to eat a meal (or snack) without other things distracting you. Basically, it's a healthy way to eat, enjoy what you're eating, and to better digest your food. It can also be a good time to sit and talk with your daughter about how the day has been. 

Just my 2 cents

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Dena W.
on 8/20/11 7:50 am - Tarpon Springs, FL
I love beef jerky to snack on -- gotta watch the sodium and gotta chew well, but I love it occasionally.  Also soy nuts, edamame.  Something else you can do is take a slice of sandwich cheese, cut into smaller squares, microwave on a piece of parchment paper until it puffs up/browns (only takes a few seconds), and they make crunchy little puffs kind of like cheese puffs.  You can add seasoning to them before you nuke them, too.  They're pretty good for a protein/crunchy snac****asionally -- and they make pretty good salad croutons, too!  
                                                 Dena
See my YouTube vlogs here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/LiLtinee
Add me as a friend on Facebook:    Dena Waskiewicz               
Starting weight:  297 / Goal weight:  140's / Current weight:  138-143
Lap RNY 3/12/2007 ~ Fleur-de-Lis tummy tuck 7/12/2010

codlover
on 8/20/11 8:03 am - Celina, OH
I love the beef jerky too !!!! I also like turkey sticks. They also have beef, but I like the turkey better. I always have Greek yogurt in the frig. as well as string cheese.
Don't forget .... COD.  Not good to carry as a snack, but fish is YUMMY !!!!
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
kerry D.
on 8/23/11 6:16 pm - Cambridge, MA
My 3 go-to snacks that don't require any prep, are quick, filling, protein dense, readily available, and that I never get tired of are Ostrim sticks(teriyaki), dry-roasted edamame(salted or wasabi), and rotisserie chicken.  I am at the point where I need snacks that are dense and satisfying so I don't get hungry too soon, but still have big protein numbers.

And IMHO, 99.9 % of protein bars are way overrated.

punkalicious8
on 8/30/11 9:28 am - Broken Arrow, OK
Old Wisconsin Turkey snack bites are the bomb...I get them at walmart

Most Active