WLS Emergency Rations

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/26/11 1:22 am - Baltimore, MD
I hope, hope, hope that my city is not greatly impacted by Hurricane Irene, but still Baltimore is considered in the "cone of possibility" for a direct hit (the ridiculousness of that term is a whole other discussion).

On Bariatric Foodie today I list a few WLS friendly non-perishable items you might consider for potential emergencies. I think this list holds for any type of situation where you might lose power. If you have suggestions, please add them to the comments section to share with your fellow WLSers.

I hope everyone stays safe and dry. Here is the post:

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/08/wls-friendly-eme rgency-rations.html

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/26/11 2:12 am
 I guess it's kind of cone shaped?  but, LOL - reminds me of Get Smart, if anyone else is old enough to remember that

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

So Blessed!
on 8/26/11 2:25 am
On August 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM Pacific Time, multiplepetmom wrote:
 I guess it's kind of cone shaped?  but, LOL - reminds me of Get Smart, if anyone else is old enough to remember that

What did you say, Chief? 
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/26/11 2:34 am

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 2:33 am - NY
Would you believe...?
msromagnola
on 8/26/11 3:50 am
Hi - I'm at work on my lunch break - so I can't view your blogsspot - not allowed - to see your list.

Number one thing:  lots of drinking water.  If you lose power for any length of time, you might also lose water- due to the pumps being out.

I would then have protein bars and powders; jerky, peanut butter and crackers.

Good thing you're thinking ahead - we all need to do that.  We need to stay somewhat prepared but problem is when it's needed, it's a  madhouse out trying to buy what you need!

Here's some thoughts I have after experiencing Katrina.

I would have a generator to keep my freezer/refrigerator going.  I would be cranking it now to make sure it's in good order and full of gas.  I would try to get a few coolers full of ice just in case.  I would try to have all my vehicles gassed up and have a few cans of gas on hand if you have a safe place to store it.  I would have anything that I need for 2 weeks bought and stored - in the event you can't get out driving to go and buy stuff- especially medicine..  I would have cash on hand - ATM's and credit card swipers don't work with no electricity.  I would fill anything available (buckets, bathtubs) full of water for flushing the toilet.  I would wash up all of my clothes; clean out my refrigerator of stuff that's ready to go and wash up any dishes.  I would make sure my gas grill was full of gas.  I might buy a fan that would plug into my generator since no AC can be brutal.  Of course, batteries and flashlights or kerosene lamps for nighttime.  Paper plates and plastic utensils would be handy.

Good luck to you.  Power outage is a real bummer - especially gets old after a week or two!  I bet in Baltimore that most powerlines are underground due to your winters.  This will help you since trees won't be falling on above-ground power lines.  But, it's important to be prepared!

MSROMAGNOLA
NHPOD9
on 8/26/11 3:58 am
 They are saying we will get moderate to severe flooding and power outages, so I've been thinking about this a lot.  However, at this step in my eating (pureed), all I can eat is mostly dairy.  However, I've stocked up on the individual servings of applesauce and tuna fish. Although I'm not allowed to eat refried beans yet, that is a possibility for those that can.  Do they make non-refrigerated pudding snacks that are sugar-free?  That could be an option for some.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 8:57 am - Bayonne, NJ
I went to Vitamin Shoppe yesterday and stocked up on low-carb protein bars and protein powder. I also bought some beef jerky. I have a bunch of water stockpiled. Hopefully it'll all be enough.
Binda
on 8/26/11 8:57 am - CA
I'm in earthquake zone and a canyon that catches fire every year and here's what is in my preps. Adapted for post op since Jan.

Canned evap milk and little cartons of chocolate silk milk (both sold by cases at cost****anned beans, canned soup (can mix this and that and make chicken noodle bean soup - hubby gets the noodles) protein bars (if it's hot out they melt but hey, it's still food) beef jerky, canned tuna, canned chicken, tuna packets, canned protein drinks, plenty of water, plenty of water jazzer uppers, peanut butter, nuts, dried foods, 1-2 months worth of extra vitamins and supplements, powdered milk, batteries for the handheld mixer and we have had to use everything in emergencies when the power has gone out, for earthquakes and 1 fire where we got blocked in as well as last xmas when we got flooded and mudded in where we live - have not had to do anything post op but pretty sure we can swing it.

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

MyLady Heidi
on 8/26/11 3:41 pm
Wanna hear my hurricane provision list

bottled water
lemons
protein bars
doritos
Most Active