Dr. Almanza - Patient Coordinators, payments, general questions,?

MegaMom
on 9/21/11 5:18 am - Cabot, AR
 Hi, What patient coordinator did you use if you had surgery with Dr. Almanza? How did you pay your deposit and did anyone pay with a cashier's check, if so who did you make it out to? Were you picked up in a medical transport van from San Diego Airport to go to the hospital in Tijuana? Thanks for any help you can give. I understand that there are good and bad but that is expected with any doctor at any where. Thank you again.
hollykim
on 9/21/11 5:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I used Sandy at WWW.alighterme.com. I was picked up at the airport in a medical transport van and returned to the airport the same way.

I made one cashier check out to Sandy in her business name,which was the deposit  and one out to Dr. Almanza,for the balance. I took it when I went for my surgery.

Gl I had a great experience and absolutely no complications then or sine my surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 5:29 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Do you know how many deaths that piece of **** "surgeon" is responsible for ? If you value your life find another surgeon.

Here is just one of many complaints about this fake surgeon.
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4145924/Anyone-that-has-been- to-Dr-Almanza/

PeanutFreeMom

After I posted my personal experience and why I was no longer recommending that clinic, I received an email from a person familiar with his clinic.  I was told that his medical license actually belongs to a different doctor.  A doctor Cesar Lara.    Since I was given a copy of his medical license by the clinic, I was able to look it up in the Government of Mexico's professional licensing database, which is available online.     Unfortunately, the person who contacted me was correct.  His medical license is a counterfeit.  Since this is the copy I have from the clinic, the only reasonable explanation is that he is not who he says he is.
Here is the copy of the license.  Copy and paste does not seem to work for me :)  If anyone can help with it, I'd appreciate it.  I just added the link to my photos:

Front:
www.obesityhelp.com/myoh/photos/613297/betancourts-license/F ront-of-License/#photo

Back:
www.obesityhelp.com/myoh/photos/612981/betancourts-license/B ack-of-License/#photo
    The government link is here: http://www.cedulaprofesional.sep.gob.mx:7057/cedula/CntConsu ltaVisitas   You simply type in the number 4742029  (Cedula basically means Decree or License in Spanish)   This is who the license is registered to:  

Nombre :

CESAR ARTURO

Apellido Paterno:

LARA

Apellido Materno:

MUÑOZ

Carrera: LICENCIATURA COMO MÉDICO GENERAL 

La presente información es preliminar, por lo tanto, en caso de requerir un documento que certifique la información, será necesario realizar el trámite de "Antecedentes Profesionales" ante la Dirección General de Profesiones.

http://www.cedulaprofesional.sep.gob.mx:7057/cedula/CntConsu ltaCedula?cedula=4742029&tipo=C1   I have reported the fact that he is not a doctor and is using a counterfeit license to the Mexican authorities, although I am not sure what the outcome will be.  My spanish is not great.     I did contact Mr. Betancourt with the evidence and he threatened me. Here is some of what he wrote:   "Melany. You are definitely following the wrong lead. Looks like a copy and past job. As for my hospital. Your wrong again. As for me being a doctor. Your wrong again. It makes a lot of people upset because of our exito. As for your threat to report to the correct authority's. I do not take threats at all its a very weak tactic. we can continue to pursue you while you are in mexico. Or one of your reps. You know its not hard to find out where and when you might be here.there is a legal letter going out to you and your friend shirley also. Fyi."    I'm so sorry, this is hard for me, as I felt that "Dr." Betancourt gave me my life and my health back.  I certainly didn't have anything against him personally.  I actually had a very good experience there.  But I think the only ethical thing to do is let you all know what I now know.   Mel  
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 5:37 am - Califreakinfornia , CA

Heather D.
Austin, TX
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (10/29/09) Member Since: 08/09/09
[Latest Posts]
I went to Dr. Almanza and while he did a good job with the actual surgery, the aftercare was pretty bad. I developed an infection while I was there and it took about 5 weeks to heal. I had to see a local surgeon several times and the wound had to be packed twice a day for most of that time. Also...

* My antibiotics, pain pills and some anti-nausea (I guess?) medicine was given to my husband by one of the drivers. Not really a huge deal, but I had some questions and I had to hunt down Betancourt to ask them.

* The kitchen in the recovery house: Filthy. Food was left out for days. The wife of one of the patients ended up cleaning the kitchen one night because she said she couldn't stand it anymore.

* There were no staff members in the recovery house at night while I was there.

* When it was time for my drain tube to come out, the person who was trying to remove it started to panic halfway through (I guess cause I was making too many pain noises?) and had my husband hold it in place so she could go get help. She came back with Cesar (Betancourt's boyfriend - I'd never actually met the guy) and he claimed to be a pediatrician. Whether he is or not, based on the info Mel & MWG posted about Betancourt, I don't know. Anyway, he had to finish pulling out the tube.

So anyway, these are a few of the highlights. Some people have much better experiences than I did. But my advice? Tell your friend to save her money and go somewhere with a better reputation.

RollTideRoll
Montgomery, AL
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes Member Since: 05/31/10
[Latest Posts]

Around late August, early September of 2009, my momma and I went to get the gastric lapband surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. We didn't got there because of the low prices. My mom wanted me to get this surgery done so that I can live my teenage life without weight problems, and feel more comfortable doing so. I had just turned sixteen years old when I got this surgery, so there weren't many places around the United States that would do a weightloss surgery on a child. When we got to the Recovery House, the people working their were eating breakfast and everyone was just talking to eachother. When we went in for surgery, it didn't even look like a hospital, I was like... "is this it?" Anyways, we got it done and when I woke up, my mom and I were hurting pretty bad, but I guess that's normal. We went to the recovery house about an hour later. Our stay at the recovery house was pretty good, as well. When we were in pain, they gave us this "strong" tylenol. They sprayed our stomachs with a bottle of water (not to mention I found the exact bottles at Walmart last month for 97 cents). We were sent home with no medications. Life went on and when we realized it didn't work good, we went to a doctor close by to get a fill done. My mom's was pretty easy to get through. When they stuck the needle in my stomach, they couldn't find the port. They took multiple X-rays, and realized that it was tilted in my stomach. They finally got it. We went home, and a few weeks later, a hole started to form on my momma's stomach. This hole kept getting deeper and bigger. She finally set up to go back to Mexico to get the lapband removed and a gastric sleeve instead. While she was down there, the first day was used up to make sure nothing serious was going on. The next day she had the surgery, and she probably stayed there for two or more days. On the airplane ride back, she was in severe pain and had to be layed down on the ground. When she finally got home, I had to take her to the Emergency Room right away. The doctors did surgery on her right away and found 5 absces, pnemonia in her right lung, and a hole IN the actual stomach. She was in the hospital for 3 months and finally got to come home. She had to go to the hospital two more times after that, and on the second time, they kept her overnight and had to take her to the Intensive Care Unit. She is, now, in the ICU as I'm writing this and is on a venilator due to difficulty breathing, high temperatures, and nausea. We tried to get our money back, because we signed up for their insurance thing, but they denied it and said that we had to come ALLLLLL the way back to Mexico to get it fixed if we wanted our insurance thing. How could we make it back if my momma was so sick that she had to stay in the hospital for 3 months? This has been the worst experience of my whole life. Please pray for my momma.
Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Contact Friend Block

Topic: Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes

I was just posting this because I've had more people than I thought, write me and let me know how much their sorry and how they are praying. My momma is one of the nicest people out there, I wish that we can individually meet each and every person on this website that are planning on going to Dr. Almanza. I wish I could take you guys through a normal day in my life now that everything has messed up in my life. Going through my last summer as a high school student. I can't have fun... I won't have fun. I want justice to be served!!! I want to save someone's life. Please this is NO JOKE!! I wake up everyday and I think and pray about anybody who's in or going into surgery with Dr. Almanza... I pray for you guys. I don't even know you guys. My mom has been in ICU on a ventilator for 7 days now... my best friend... I can't go see her whenever I want to anymore... visiting hours are precise. My mom won't be able to see the 17th Anniversary of me arriving in this world, because she's too busy going through something that shouldn't have ever happened!!! DOCTORS MAKE MISTAKES... BUT WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR MAKES MISTAKES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.. Yes, you might have had a WONDERFUL experience... but listen to the stories people.. just because you were lucky DOES NOT mean that everybody else was. There are many people around the United States and Canada that are dealing with their friends and/or family members DYING with deadly infections, holes in stomachs, esophagus, etc. You guys keep telling your friends to go.... and eventually, you are going to go through what me and my family and plenty other families are going through right now. I'm not trying to harsh Dr. Almanza's "mellow".... I am truly, honestly, and dedicative to preventing as many people from going to this doctor as possible. Please spend the extra money and getting done by someone who is, not only cheap and kind, but dedicated to helping you. Not a doctor who is just going to WHAM BAM over and never see you post-op (to many people). Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..... I am not doing this to get back at Dr. Almanza or anybody that is working over there just because they've done this to my momma. I am doing this to prevent YOU from ever going through something like this. It IS NOT FUN.
Love always and forever,
Miranda Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 5:46 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Marie S.’s Posts
Topic: RE: MAJOR COMPLICATIONS @ EMMANUEL MEDICAL CENTER DR ALMANZA

I am Marie S. I was a patient and all I posted was true. I posted for two reasons: I needed support and thought this might be a placve to get it and I wanted there to be a record for some unlucky sould not to face the same fate. Then came the accusations of me being a paid poster. Requests for proof. Instead of getting support I was trying to justify my existence. I PDF'd my check to Almanza. I forwarded the email of mY Paypal receipt. I forwarded the generic patient post op report Shirley gave me. All to help people know I wasn't a liar and not have to suffer my same physical, emotional and financial pain. It was clear to me that OH was hurting rather than helping me and I reached out to those where justification was not an issue. Did I pass my leak tests - Yes - according to Betancourt. And whether u believe it or not the Us found a leak but after dealing withthe infection first. In the US - they "dealt" with me but made it clear they didn't like "cleaning up another surgeons mess". That pissed me off so bad! When I transferred to NYU that attitude changed by I hated the original hospital I was in. I'm better but not well for those who have patient best interest at heart. My pancreas was damaged by either the surgery or the antibiotics used to fight the surgery. Thank you for asking. I don't know why this post was resurrected but I don't want anything to do with the negativity. My original lap band surgery was done by Alvarez-Cordero in Mexico city. He doesn't advertise here or have any coordinator. He is just akind old man who treated me Great and did a great lap band that had no conpplications. I don't have any interest in any particular doc. I spoke to many. I wish anyone and everyone doing a surgery just to be safe. I did surgery to last for my boys. To be healthy. To have good self esteem. NOT to fight this fight between coordinators. Or. Docs or whattever elsr. God Bless! Be Safe.      Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post

Hello Everyone. I was asked to post more proof that I am a patient on some coordinator trying to discredit Emanuel Medical Center, Dr Betancourt an Dr Almanza.When I returned on November 30th, I called and asked for my post op rport to provide my NYC Doctor who would be doing my follow up.  I was provided the following.  This is a GENERIC report that the Center provide.  THEY DO NOT PROVIDE A PERSONALIZED REPORT as I requested it and was told that "They dont do that down there.  My surgery was done on Thanksgiving Day.  i was the second case because I was more comlicated - a revision.  The first case was Mike who is married to a lovely Chinese woman.  When they left  the recovery house she forgot her translator and Shirley called and asked us to look around for it.  Claudia, the 16 year old nurse found it in the end and it was going to be shipped to Shirley for return to mike and his wife.  The third case that was scheduled flight was delayed and her surgery was held over to the next day. Since she didnt have surgery on Thanksgiving he was invited to Dr. Betancourts Thanksgiving dinner at his home but said she ate very li8ghtly. She was an African American woman who had braids and did well.  her husband stayed at the residence and enjoyed Tijauna with the transporters that work for Dr. Betancourt.  They were from Atlanta.  I stayed in the room directly accross Dr. Betancourts Home.  It was a beautiful room!  Mike stayed in the room next to mine but it didnt have its own bathroom and the other upstairs bedroom was vacant the entire time,  The husband (or partner) of the woman from atlanta stayed in the downstairs bedroom.  The house is impeccably clean.  They have a phone downstairs witha 727 area code that is free but they have a note to limit calls to 30 minutes in case another client wants to use it.  Inside the cabinet, they have cambell and knorr soups along with teas, and condiments.  In the freezer are the long type icees that kids drink and the jello was a spanish brand in four flavors. blue red orange and another i cant recall. 

I am not a coordinator - I AM TRYING TO SAVE YOU FROM MY MISERY.  But I have to tell you this is getting old - you will need to make your own decisions and I TRULY WISH YOU WELL!!!  I dont think they mean it and I think they are shaken enough to be making changes - I PRAY THEY ARE.

ANYWAY - Good NEWS!! (well kinda)  They found a leak BUT it appears that it has already been healing since i am fever free now three days YAY.   So I AM SCHEDULED TO BE RELEASED TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    WOO HOO.     However, I had to remove my old PIC line and then do another in the other arm.  I will need to be NPO 5 days on something called TPN.  I am told that is a thick white mixture that will provide me all my nutrients.  I will need to take this nightly via my PIC line and then after the 5 days I will have more testing to verify resolution of the LEAK.  After that, they will determine if I need antibitics, (Remember I still have two open incisions that need daily cleaning and packing.  Although they look very good at this point - but Gosh the big is slow to heal.  I had a total of FOUR incisions infected and the other two are completed clean and healed (WOO HOO AGAIN)

SO YOUR PRAYERS, my PRAYERS, My FAMILY AND FRIENDS PRAYERS AND MY PRIEST BLESSINGS ALL WORKED.  THANK YOU!!!!  HUGS BAG TO ALL OF YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO THOSE STILL RESEARCHING.  I need to recover and will do my best to keep up.

I get to see my babies after soooo many days.......You have no idea how good that feels.  Again GOD BLESS!

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: 'Marie '
Sent: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:48:51 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Gastric Sleeve OP Report

PATIENT: Marie

PRESURGERY INDICATIONS

1.       Take VS by nurse.

2.       Place IV Hartman solution of 1000cc for permeable vein

3.       Administrate the following medication (ask for allergy)

i.      Ranitidina 1 amp I.V.

ii.      Ceftriaxona 1gr I.V. (in case of allergy change to gentamicina 80mg)

iii.      Ondansetron 4mg I.V.

iv.      Dexametasona 4mg I.V.

4.       Place antiemboli socks

5.       In case that is necessary take EKG

6.       Pass to OR after the anesthesiology visit.

SURGERY NOTE  :      GASTRIC SLEEVE

RESECTED   PIECE

SLEEVE

Placing the patient in dorsal decubitus, general anesthesia is administrated, intubation is done, antiseptic wash in abdomen is done too, surgery initiates by placing the trocars through the abdominal wall, inspecting the cavity the stomach is localized and by introducing a catheter to the stomach, we delimit the capacity of the sleeve done by a staple, the sleeve has a virtual capacity approx. 15cc. Resection of the big curvature piece is done and in the sleeve there’s no bleeding or leaking. A drainage is left to measure any exudated. Closure of surgical wounds is done by none dissolving stitches.

Count of surgical material: Complete

Bleeding: Minimum

Complications: None

POST SURGICAL INDICATIONS

1.       Strict uniformed nutritional (only ice chips are allowed).

2.       Solutions

Mixed: 1000cc I.V. the first 8hrs and continue with 

1000cc + 20mEq of KCL for 8hrs

3.        Medications:

a.        Ranitidina I.V. 1 amp every/12 hrs

b.        Metoclopramida I.V. 1 amp every/8 hrs

c.        Ceftriaxona I.V. 1 gr  every 12 hrs or in case of allergy place  Gentamicina 80mg e/12hrs

d.        Ketorolaco 30mg I.V. e/8hrs

e.        Ondansetron 4mg I.V. e/8hrs Only in case necessary

f.         Dipirona 1amp I.V. e/6hrs Only in case necessary

4.       Place abdominal bandage in case of open surgery.

5.       Place oxygen mask at 100% , 10lts per min. for 3hrs and then change to nasal point for 1 hr.

6.       Take VS and general nurse care by turn.

a.       Inspiratory exercise every 4 hr for 10 min.

b.       Nebulize w/Combivent 2cc+ 3cc Saline solution every turn followed by back palmpercution.

c.        Urine count each shift

d.       Drainage vigilant and count by shift

e.        Remove Foley, shower and change of gauze before 7am by night shift.

f.        Early walk.

Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post

This is a surgical center - not a hospital in tijuana mexico.  I returned from surgery on nov 30 into jersey,  I was ill and hospitalized by thurs dec 3rd.  then when my issues could no resolved in my local hospital, i was transferred to nyc,  hope that clears up the confusion Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post

Holly - I knew that there would be a reply like this soon.  Please find my email correspondence confirming my deposit payment for surgery.  I am not doing this for any reason but to HELP PEOPLE FROM SUFFERING WHAT I AM SUFFERING.  Imagine how I feel to read this while I sit here in a hospital still facing the unknown.  There have been successes at Emmanuel and I pray you are one! I do!  PM me and I can forward you the post op report they gave me and all my emails.  If you were lied to by your coordinator - you may want to challenge her with this information in hand.  Below I removed the coordinator and my last names and email addresses as a privacy issue.  I also removed my address from the PayPal receipt.  Good Luck and God Bless!

Sent: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:24:13 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: RE: Receipt for Your Payment to JERUSALEM HOSPITAL
Got it!!!  RESPECTFULLY, Shirley EMMANUEL MEDICAL

CENTER
JERUSALEM HOSPITAL PATIENT COORDINATOR www.emmanuelmedical.com www.hospitaljerusalem.com.mx
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:05 AM
To: shirleyr
Subject: Fwd: Receipt for Your

Payment to JERUSALEM HOSPITAL
Marie S

To: Marie
Sent: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:03:52 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Receipt for Your Payment to JERUSALEM

HOSPITAL

Nov. 17, 2009 09:03:51 PST
Hello Marie

You  sent a payment of $1,000.00 USD to JERUSALEM HOSPITAL ([email protected])

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Merchant

JERUSALEM HOSPITAL
 [email protected]
Instructions

to merchant

You haven't entered any instructions.
Shipping
  address -

Marie

United States
Shipping

details

The seller hasn’t provided any shipping details yet.
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Surgery $1,000.00 USD 1 $1,000.00 USD
Subtotal $1,000.00 USD
Total $1,000.00 USD
Payment $1,000.00 USD
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as

"PAYPAL *BETANCOURTM"

Payment sent to [email protected]

Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post
Topic: MAJOR COMPLICATIONS @ EMMANUEL MEDICAL CENTER DR ALMANZA

I posted this on vertical sleeve a few nights ago.  As of today, I am on hospitalization day # 13. 
I will post an update after the new Docs (I was transferred by ambulance to a facility in NYC for further treatment) have a chance to review records and complete their testing.  I can tell you TWO THINGS ---

I AM STILL SICK and I AM OVERWHELMED BY THE SUPPORT AND ITS THE ONY THING THAT HELPS NT CRY ALL DAY!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

________________________________________________________________-

I posted before about my infections and wanted to provide an update. DOS Thanksgiving 09 stayed 2 days @ Facility and 2 days @ recovery house.
I dont want to interject emotion but rather present the facts that have occurred to me thus far. The last time I posted I mentioned that I was disappointed that none reached out to me and surprise - the day after a posting here - i got a call from both Shirley and ISIS - but only spoke to ISIS. ISIS was sweet but made it clear that an infection is a risk of surgery. I agree HOWEVER the fact that there have been consistent infections coming out of that facility leads me to belive that there is either a procedure or instrument that is allowing contamination, That they had a responsibility to address that. I reminded ISIS that Shirley did not want me spread it but that she said that Dr. Betancourt felt that there was probably a package os stiches was "compromised" and they were throwing them away. No patient knew about that!

I was hospitalized December 3rd and I AM STILL HERE. I am being transferred to a larger facility.

1) Post surgery I NEVER WAS WITHOUT A FEVER
2) The largest incision was the first to get infected but afterwards, FOUR out of FIVE became infected
3) I was immediately placed on hi doses on the strongest antibiotics. Some of whi*****luded ampicillen, vankomicin, jeez i have so many if you want i am happy to list as i am getting a copy of everything before the transfer.
4)in the battle of fighting the infection - my fevers never relented! with last night being 103. My White blood counts have been as high as 18000 and are currently 15,000
5) i have had FOUR CT Scans where they see the stomach enflammed, pancreas enflamed and liquid in my lungs. The reason for this is one of 2 reasons - side effect to mega doses os antibiotics or 2 there is a leak or problem with the sleeve itslef. OMG I am scared I am angry.

I have 2 autistic children at home and one asked me yesterday crying if i was going to die. Yes I wanted to be thin YES i asked the right questions about leak rates, suturing vs stapling i felt i did my research, I AM NOT ALONE. I ave PM's that the facility has asked patients not to post about their infections. IF THATS TRUE SHAME ON THEM. I am willing to provide personal details to anyone who feels they need it. I LOVED DR BETANCOURT, SHIRLEY, DR ALONZO AND DR HUGO. The FACILITY WAS JOLLY and you felt cared for. The residence house was not as pleasant because we had no heat on (just my luck a 65 degree night) Shirley took care of that right away! There was not 24 hour care because the 16 year old nurse was not in our house. We fenned for ourself for the most part - but no matter what she was a SWEETIE. I am sooooo HURT and disappointed but mostly ABANDONED and SCARED.

I SWEAR I HAVE NO MOTIVE AND LIKELY HAVE NO RECOURSE - I SAY THIS SO THAT ALL CAN CONSIDER THIS INFORMATION, EVEN IF I aM one in a million - i would have wanted to know.    PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARIA      Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 5:51 am - Califreakinfornia , CA

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/am...ery-in-mexico/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/me...-HOSPITAL-FYI/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/me...pital-Tijuana/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/me...ad-Read-these/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/me...e-WLS-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS...ion-Scopinaro/

roxi's mom
TN
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes Duodenal Switch (07/23/11) Member Since: 06/03/11
[Latest Posts]
Hello Ladies                                                                                                                                                                     I just wanted to tell you about my surgery in Mexico on July23.  I went to Jerusalem hospital in Tijuana and saw Dr. Almanza.  The Dr was great and thankfully the surgery went well.  My coordinator was Louise.  I researched this like crazy and asked lots of people about their experience in Mexico as well.  I asked Louise 1000 questions pre op and she was great(pre-op).  I read everything I could get my hands on and on here and felt like I knew what I was going into.  Well I will say the surgery was for the duodenal switch and cost 20,000 here and i got it for 7,000 there and so I wouldn't have been able to have it if I hadn't gone there BUTTTTTTT here are my issues.  The hospital was not a hospital it was a clinica in a strip mall next to an office depot and a adult book store in a dirty area and this is where Louise told me I would have my blood work and EKG done pre op. I had ask Louise if i could bring my sister and she could stay with me except for surgery time in the hospital and at the recovery house and she said yea no problem and I said this is very important because I am a little afraid to leave her alone and I surely don't want her alone and away from me at anytime.  Louise said of course no problem is understandable.  When we get to the clinica they take me in the back and leave everyone else out in front lobby which is a tiny tiny room with a bathroom my tiny sister could barely fit in too, not to mention us bigger girls and all the other 5 surgery patients and one other family member sat out there for hours waiting for their turn at surgery.  I demanded finally after asking over and over again to people who spoke little English to speak to my sister as I was worried about her and vice versa.  So I talk to her and tell her i think this is where the surgery's going to be and she seems worried as I am at this point and they put us in a tiny room the size of a large closet and you can barely walk between the two twin beds and tell me to change and then they take me to the o.r. room,  telling my sister 1.5 hours and I will be back.  The o.r. had ants on the floor and I didn't know what to do cause I was across the border and couldn't afford it in the states and would lose my money so I did it and when I woke up 3 hours later I was in a pitch black room alone and couldn't see a thing.  I beat on the wall and someone finally came and I had to immediately upon waking, walk up a long flight of stairs back to the small room where my sister was and she was so relieved as she had been asking for me for nearly 2 hours now.  I lay down and we dose off to be awakened by constant racket and laundry timers and just loudddd noises and they made her get out of bed and move to a chair or bench couch thing in a room next to us.  I freaked out cause was late at night and they were just snatching her up and pushing her out saying they needed the room for a patient.  I ask to speak to anyone that could help or my Dr.  A mean man says his brother owns the hospital whats the problem I told him and he said the patient is priority and they were paying and my sister wasn't.  I said I want to speak to your brother cause Louise said we wouldn't be separated and he said get over it. He finally called his brother who was meaner and said if i kept causing trouble they would take me to a hotel in town and check me in there so as not to disrupt the other patients  I wasn't disrupting them i was scared.  So my sister stayed in that room and i stayed awake all night listening to know she was OK. I wasnt about to leave in the middle of the night with an I.V. and drain to a Tijauna motel. NO WAY ! Next day the owner comes in and says nothing about that conversation but we heard him saying he had too much wine with friends last night and comes in to chit chat like nothing ever happened and we have both been awake all night with all the noise and fear.  I tell him i just want to get done there and leave for the recovery house and please let her stay with me cause I'm scared for her to be out there alone.  He said he was moving us to another room and he did and it had a bed and a recliner and was tiny but I didn't care at this point I was silent and happy she was safe with me. His discussion with us included instruction on eating post op for the D.S.  All he said was not as I had read.  He said he was a Dr.   Several of the staff and workers were so sweet and the night nurse was good but the day nurse was mean and way over worked .  They kept me there an extra night because the recovery house was full.  Finalllyyyyyyyyyyy we get to go do the xray , drink the nasty stuff and come back for Dr. to see xrays.  They leave us in the van and take xrays in and come back out 5 minutes later and say Dr. says xrays are good do you want to buy them to take home with you and I knew about this before so I did and we go to recovery house.  Theses xrays should be viewed carfeully to discover leaks, not glanced at. The recovery house is very small, very dirty, and very very full.  There were 16 people sleeping there and 12 beds.  So all 3 couches had people on them a recliner and one person on the floor.  One man that worked there lived there also and slept on the floor in the living room most of the time he said and made no pay and asked for tips constantly.  I didn't worry about my sister here as much and finally slept some.  You only got a pain medicine shot in your I.V. every 8 hours here and you were lucky if you got that.  Overall though I could deal with it much better than the hospital.  At the hospital I think was every 4 hours if you asked but you had to ask for everything pretty much. They would occasionally check your bp and they ripped my skin off when they took off the tape which was over the incisions.  I still have large wounds from that.  The cook in the house cooked for hours for the clinica staff and everyone else and constantly kept a frying and cooking burned smell going on and burned grease for the two days I was there.  I left at 4:30 a.m. the first day I could leave claiming to them that I had an early flight but I didn't i just wanted out of there.  Long story I'm sorry but god what a night mare.  I'm so thankful to be home that i cannot explain that enough.  I wouldn't have been able to afford it here and I'm OK now.  They send u home with horse pill antibiotics and no pain pills and I feel like they did everything possible the cheapest way they could but I was able to get it done at least.  I guess it was worth it but I'm still freaked out about it and I'm not a big scaredy cat person or a whiny baby but i mean this is Tijuana a known unsafe place.  I knew that but what I was expecting and told is not how it was. So be careful an please double check and do not use Jerusalem hospital. Oh I forgot I called Louise when the owner said all that to me and she never answered or returned my call, ever.  I think if I'd have spent a little more and went to Dr. Ramos Kelly or Aceves or Urgsan, it may have been much better but *****ally knows.  I thought I knew what I was getting into but obviously, I didnt.  BE CAREFUL AND DO NOT USE JERASULEM HOSPITAL.!!!!!!

Thanks
Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 5:58 am - Califreakinfornia , CA

Another infection:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4144569/Really-freaked -out-Thoughts-re-Dr-Amanza/#33866779

Laurie D.
pembroke pines, fl
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (03/03/10) Member Since: 10/17/02
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/25/10 3:13 pm
I had my surgery on March 3.  I had incision infections. When I went to my own doctor to have the stiches removed he did not like the way they looked. I went a week later and they were still infected. My doctor said that he sometimes sees an incistion that has infection, but not all of the incisions with infection. He seemed to think it had to do with hygene in the operating room. Again that is his opinion and I respect it. I am still treating the infection but it is much better.
Other then that I am fine and was treated very well in the recovery house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Doing surgery until 3AM... Almanza too tired to operate:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4144569/Really-freaked -out-Thoughts-re-Dr-Amanza/#33874981

Mandyness ..
Metro Atlanta, GA
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (03/06/10) Member Since: 09/26/09
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/25/10 6:50 pm

It is true about the number of surgeries they do a day. They were working until 3 am on the day I was scheduled to have surgery (Friday), and LUCKILY I got bumped to Saturday which made me the first and only surgery that day.

I had a good experience other than the overscheduling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another infection:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4083549/MAJOR-COMPLIC ATIONS-EMMANUEL-MEDICAL-CENTER-DR-ALMANZA/page,3/#33878213

ezimmer
Canada
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (11/10/09) Member Since: 10/20/09
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/27/10 1:49 pm

I've been lurking on some of these threads too and thought I had to add my voice to Mel's here.  I also live in Saskatoon, in fact, I was one of the patients that Mel has mentioned who went for my surgery with Dr. Almanza (in November, not December but close enough) and had a leak.  I personally know of one other person on these forums who has blogged about her experience with Dr. Almanza and about her leak in November as well, so I know I'm not the only one in that month alone.

I will say this - Dr. Almanza is a sweet man, he appeared very thorough to me.  The clinic was clean to the best of my knowledge, but it certainly did get crowded.  And I had to wait a day and a half before they fixed my leak - in fact, I wasn't even told that I had one and was going to be sent back into the OR, Mel had to call me from Canada to tell me.  She had kept track of my progress and touched base with the staff there the entire time I was down.  I'm glad they caught it before I left, but I was upset that nothing as communicated to me by the staff at the clinic.  They sent me home the following day with nothing - no pain pills, no antibiotics.  It was straight from the xray to the airport and though it was great to be out of the clinic and on my way home, I was a little put out that I hadn't even gotten to see Dr. Almanza or Mr. B before I left.  I guess it happens when you're in such a busy clinic!  I think it was the culmination of all of these experiences that she's seen first hand that has caused Mel to stop advocating for Dr. Almanza and the clinics that he works for but I do know that she is not out to bash them or ruin their business and is definitely not criticizing those who have chosen Dr. Almanza as their surgeon - because frankly he was hers, and mine but I can definitely see that, in light of all this new information she just wants to make sure that everyone is FULLY informed before they make their decision going forward.  You can't fault her for that.  

As for me, I also acquired a severe infection once I got home from the clinic, like I've heard many others talk about.  Not just one or two of my incisions but ALL of them were oozing, 2 split back open and I could just touch the area around them and get gobs of puss from them.  I am a meticulous person and I followed sanitary instructions to the letter, so I know that it had nothing to do with the products that I was using or the way I was doing it, infection happens to a lot of us and we just have to deal with it as it arises, lung infections were also not uncommon.  Luckily enough, Mel was available to take me to a great walk-in clinic doctor here and he cleaned everything, put me on antibiotics and had me on my way.  Things have healed up nicely now but I can definitely vouch for some of the things people have said on here with regards to the clinic.

I love my sleeve.  I do not ever regret having it and my experience wasn't nightmarish or anything, but it wasn't ideal.  If I had any inkling of the number of leaks and infections coming out of that clinic, I would have simply chosen another one.  There are so many great surgeons to choose from and even though everyone is going to throw their two cents in on who's the best, I just have to say that the decision is ultimately yours and yours alone.  Do as much research as you can, weigh the pros and cons, take everyone's advice and criticisms with a grain of salt and ultimately, go with your gut (or at least...20% of it *lol*). 

I can only hope that everyone gives some of these people with complaints or concerns a bit of leeway because really what they're doing is challenging us and trying to understand what's best for them and looking for some sort of support...in an online support forum - how novel?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overbooking surgery/Almanza working long hours:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4144569/Really-freaked -out-Thoughts-re-Dr-Amanza/

Mandyness ..
Metro Atlanta, GA
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (03/06/10) Member Since: 09/26/09
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/25/10 6:50 pm
It is true about the number of surgeries they do a day. They were working until 3 am on the day I was scheduled to have surgery (Friday), and LUCKILY I got bumped to Saturday which made me the first and only surgery that day.

I had a good experience other than the over-scheduling.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Doctor" Betancourt treats patients:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4145934/COUNTERFEIT-LI CENSE-FOR-DR-ANDRES-BETANCOURT/

PeanutFreeMom
Canada
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (04/07/09) Member Since: 03/27/09
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/27/10 4:13 pm
Interesting.  The story he told me was that he used to be a bariatric surgeon and performed open RNY procedures in the 1980s/90s but that he realized he wasn't a very good surgeon and he didn't enjoy it, so he decided to employ other more talented surgeons instead.  He said he wasn't trained or licensed to perform laproscopic surgery anyway. 

He did give me a needle in my arm with some sort of narcotic in it when I was there after my tummy tuck.  It made me feel woosy, and disoriented.  I didn't like it all at, so I just lied and said I wasn't in any pain after that, as I didn't want any more medication. 

He does treat and give advice to patients while posing as a doctor.  Dr. Almanza is the surgeon, but "Dr." Betancourt certainly presents himself as a phyician, not simply as a business owner of a surgical clinic.  This is why I feel morally obligated to say something.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Betancourt poses as licensed MD:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4145934/COUNTERFEIT-LI CENSE-FOR-DR-ANDRES-BETANCOURT/

Heather D.
Austin, TX
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VSG (10/29/09) Member Since: 08/09/09
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/27/10 3:46 pm
The story I received was that he had a stroke and could no longer do surgery because of that. This copy of his "license" is much better than the one I saw from MWG. Still, it's shocking. Especially when I think back to the medical advice he gave just while I was there. Like how he told me to "just take whatever" when I asked about something for a sinus infection I developed while at the recovery house (smog + open windows = ugggh). He told two of the four patients who had surgery on the day I did that they could eat whatever they wanted the day before surgery. He said, "Why exercise when you can have plastic surgery?" Lots of things like that.

Thanks for posting this, Mel, and backing up what MWG has been saying for quite awhile now. It's so crazy. I'm just glad I made it out of there with as few problems as I did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another infection:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4144041/This-is-WAY-ov er-the-top/page,2/

suziemart
Canada
VSG (10/23/09) Member Since: 05/28/09
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/24/10 2:58 pm
Dr. Almanza is a fine and experienced (although quite young) VSG surgeon.

The clinic, the recovery house and overall experience is iffy at best.

I was surgery #6 on my day of surgery  - plus there was some kind of emergency revision that came in and delayed the whole day. I didn't even go into the OR until almost 7pm. With each passing hour I became more and more nervous that doctor fatigue would in some way harm me - or worse.

I had my surgery there October 22, 2009. On March 9th, 2010 my PCP advised that my surgical wounds are (FINALLY) healed. 4 1/2 months for my surgical incisions to heal!! My incisions were badly infected -- presumably by the sutures that were used by Emmanual that day (my PCPs assumption).

Later, with the high # of infection incidents being reported, Dr. Betancourt did, in fact, advise (via Shirley) that it was all caused by a bad batch of sutures. Why some who went there during that time period had very serious infections and others (like me!) were lucky to just have local site infections, I'll never know. But I do know that I had to be given two more rounds of strong antibiotic and was packing wounds up until about two weeks ago.

My complaints:
1) Too many surgeries in 1 day - unsafe by any standards.
3) Nurses didn't use gloves.
4) Recovery house had very low beds, hard to get in an out of post-op.
5) Recovery house had visiting dogs that urinated and pooped everywhere. They were cute and I love dogs. I just didn't think it was appropriate considering all the new, raw post-ops residing there.

Overall the people are very nice. And the price was right. And VSG is a relatively easy procedure for an experienced surgeon, which Dr. Almanza is. HOWEVER I would ask myself a few important questions before booking with this outfit:

1) Why are there not similar posts about Joya, Aceveses, Pompa, Alvarez, etc....? Or not to the extent. It seems that most all the controversy revolves around one particular clinic.
2)  Is any complication worth the extra $1-2K it would cost to go to a clinic/hospital where there doesn't seem to be the level of controversy?

I hope this helps. Oh...and don't EVEN THINK about getting collagen via this clinic. I have been living with a big disaster since 10/22!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dogs pooping in the recovery house:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4144041/This-is-WAY-ov er-the-top/page,2/

Dr. Almanza is a fine and experienced (although quite young) VSG surgeon.

The clinic, the recovery house and overall experience is iffy at best.

I was surgery #6 on my day of surgery  - plus there was some kind of emergency revision that came in and delayed the whole day. I didn't even go into the OR until almost 7pm. With each passing hour I became more and more nervous that doctor fatigue would in some way harm me - or worse.

I had my surgery there October 22, 2009. On March 9th, 2010 my PCP advised that my surgical wounds are (FINALLY) healed. 4 1/2 months for my surgical incisions to heal!! My incisions were badly infected -- presumably by the sutures that were used by Emmanual that day (my PCPs assumption).

Later, with the high # of infection incidents being reported, Dr. Betancourt did, in fact, advise (via Shirley) that it was all caused by a bad batch of sutures. Why some who went there during that time period had very serious infections and others (like me!) were lucky to just have local site infections, I'll never know. But I do know that I had to be given two more rounds of strong antibiotic and was packing wounds up until about two weeks ago.

My complaints:
1) Too many surgeries in 1 day - unsafe by any standards.
3) Nurses didn't use gloves.
4) Recovery house had very low beds, hard to get in an out of post-op.
5) Recovery house had visiting dogs that urinated and pooped everywhere. They were cute and I love dogs. I just didn't think it was appropriate considering all the new, raw post-ops residing there.

Overall the people are very nice. And the price was right. And VSG is a relatively easy procedure for an experienced surgeon, which Dr. Almanza is. HOWEVER I would ask myself a few important questions before booking with this outfit:

1) Why are there not similar posts about Joya, Aceveses, Pompa, Alvarez, etc....? Or not to the extent. It seems that most all the controversy revolves around one particular clinic.
2)  Is any complication worth the extra $1-2K it would cost to go to a clinic/hospital where there doesn't seem to be the level of controversy?

I hope this helps. Oh...and don't EVEN THINK about getting collagen via this clinic. I have been living with a big disaster since 10/22!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another infection:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/4147137/OT-Complica tions/

carlsongang
Clackamas, OR
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes Lap Band (01/27/10) Member Since: 01/14/10
[Latest Posts]Post Date: 3/30/10 10:01 am
I have been doing really well with my weight loss. I am down 39 pounds in 9 weeks. I have lost a total of 2.5 inches. I went for a fill but because I can only hold 2-3 ounces in my stomach, I did not need one. (I have a 10cc band.) I have had some complications with everything. When I got home from Mexico, I got my first infection. It was a small staph infection at my port site. Antibiotics cleared it up. Two weeks later another staph infection, it started at the port site and spread to underneath my breasts. Again, antibiotics and steroids this time and it cleared up. At the beginning of March another infection, this time it started on the right side of my abdomen and spread to the port site, more antibiotics and steroids to clear it up. Sunday another infection started at the port site, spread from under my breasts, down my abdomen, in my belly button, and then down to my groin area. Again more antibiotics, steroids, pain meds (it is extremely painful), and drainage tubes to help drain the infection. If the antibiotics do not work, I will have to go in for IV antibiotics. I constantly cry because of the pain and smell that comes from the infection. I have missed a lot of work and have fallen behind in school (working on my Bachelor’s Degree) and to be honest have become very depressed. I have had one doctor tell me my body is rejecting the band. Another has told me it was something that happened during surgery, and another one says I need more vitamins. I am only eating what does not upset my stomach. I am taking daily vitamins, cut back on my sugar, have been tested for diabetes, eat yogurt, and still I get these damn infections. I have called the doctor in Mexico and he says just to come back and have the band removed. I am at my wits end here. Oh and to add the cherry to my cake, when I tried to register my band with Lap-Band®, they said my number does not exist. Any thoughts on any of this…….. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Another leak/infection where Betancourt was playing doctor;

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/4144777/Important-P ost-re-Dr-Almanza-on-VSG-board/

jbkb0412
Zeeland, MI
Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes VGB (01/12/10) Member Since: 12/25/09
[Latest Posts] Post Date: 3/26/10 4:47 pm
my husband and I had our surgeries in Jan. with Dr. Almanza, as I had posted back then John did have a leak that developed sometime the day we left, we flew back home and John had emergency surgery to repair the leak.  We met PnutFreemom there and had talked to her, the decision to post this had to have been very hard for her and I feel her decision to post this was wise.  John and I struggled with how to post the problems that he had and decided to just post the facts, our surgeon here said that the surgery was done correctly but an abcess developed after the leak test was done and that when the drainage tube was pulled that allowed all stomach content to leave his body.  John's drainage tube was taken out right before we left at that time there was still alot of drainage (which turns out to be his gatorade coming out his stomach in  to the ball) Dr. B didn't seem concerned and we were in a hurry to catch our flight so we left. 
We were taken care of very well and things were very clean, as far as infections went we don't think we had any, but our incisions did take a long time to heal completely.
I did feel that the clinic was to busy with to many people there some even spent there second night in a hotel because the recovery house and Dr B's house were full.

WE are doing great and at this point do not regret our decision to have surgery, we are losing weight and feeling great but it was a very long road of recovery for John and  a very scary time for both of us.

John and Kari Bush
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another infection
:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/tell-your-story/2613-major-complications-emmanuel-medical-center-3.html#post24138

Okay everyone.... brand new here - (so.... HI!!) - well, I've been "stalking" the site for a while now but seeing this post today has prompted me to go ahead and register so I could respond.

Let me apologize right away for the excessively lengthy post, but I got started and just couldn't stop!!

My name is Libby. From all my reading, I feel like I "know" a few of you already!

I had my sleeve surgery on November 21st, 2009 at Dr. Andres Betancourt's Emmanuel Medical Center with Dr. Almanza... and yes, I too, ended up with a pretty nasty staph infection.

Now, admittedly, my experience was one of rushed plans, lacking in any type of research whatsoever with this hospital / doctor, in particular... I had fully researched and prepped for the mini gastric bypass surgery with Dr. Rutledge in Nevada a year prior but when funding fell through, was left to start over from scratch.

Having come into a little money suddenly on November 19th, I half-heartedly did a few internet searches to take a peek into what the self pay procedures were costing these days - - and stumbled upon a coordinator for Dr. Almanza offering an amazingly alluring fee for the gastric sleeve.

I made the call.... checked a few resources.... and my coordinator, Rita - says, "What are you doing on the 21st?".............. TWO DAYS LATER, she meant......... wow!! So it was a bit of a wild ride from there, but I flew out the next day to San Diego - stayed over at the Holiday Inn Bayside - and met the hospital transport back at the airport the following morning, who took us into Mexico and to the hospital.

The experience (while my family was CERTAIN that I would touch down in the middle of a warzone and awake from surgery having had my organs harvested for the black market!!) was quite a pleasant one, for the most part.

Very warm and welcoming, the doctors and staff were quite accommodating every step of the way.

The hospital, while simple, was cleaner than some US hospitals I've seen.

The language barrier was something I wish I'd considered a bit more - - but really caused no major issues.... I had what I needed, when I needed it and never felt the least bit "unaccounted for".

The ONLY "issue" I had while in the hospital (which really did seem like a pretty big issue to me) was that the nurses did not wear gloves when working on my IV. They had a very difficult time due to my small "uncooperative" veins, and there were at least four attempts by different staff before the anesthesiologist finally stated that he would put the IV in himself once I was in the operating room.

Moments before I went in, another nurse made a SUCCESSFUL attempt to get the IV in. *thank GOD!!* (OUCH!!)

But, through all the sticks - - all the blood, trying to get the IV in place.... I noticed that none of them had worn gloves.... *note, that I bled quite a bit!*

I mentioned to my "surgery mate" of my concerns.... and she seemed to shrug it off and have no matching concerns of her own..... by then, I was swooshed off to the operating room and when it was over, was too concerned with my recovery too rehash the thought in my mind, I guess.

Two days in the hospital and then on to the recovery house.

I actually stayed at Dr. Bettancourt's private home (a couple doors down from the recovery house) because they were quite full over there and Doc Andres felt I would be more comfortable at his home with his staff. I agreed.

Every aspect of my care was attended to and despite the normal post op pain and discomfort, I enjoyed a very peaceful stay.

I felt that my recovery was going very well, but since I had made the trip alone, had begun missing my family and requested to go home a day early.

All seemed well and arrangements were made for me to go home the next morning.

I have to say, that once I left the hospital - there were no longer "vitals checks", etc. - which I suppose is the norm - - - but had there been a couple of those throughout my recovery stay, it might have been brought to our attention that I was harboring a low grade fever, even the night before I left Mexico.

I noticed that there was some redness around the largest of my incisions... but Doc Andres had checked prior to my going home - and I wasn't really having anything more than what I thought was "expected post op pain" - so... my drainage tube was removed - (MAJORRRR PAINNNNN!!!) *probably due to the abscess that was already beginning to build* - - - and off I went.

Medical transport across the border (and me with no passport!!) and back to the San Diego airport for my flight home to Fort Worth.

I arrived home around 5pm that evening... (my 4th day out) and was EXHAUSTED, in pain, and light headed........ of course, I was sure that I just overdid it with the flight, walking through the airport, etc. (even though I had to summon a wheel chair transport to get through the airport to my parked vehicle).

Got through the night with my pain meds, cold sponge baths and as much SLEEP as I could get.

The next morning.... more of the same..... but the pain was worsening... my belly was bloating.... redness around the incision was broadening .... I could keep NOTHING down, vomiting and dry heaving.... and in one terrifying moment later that afternoon, my largest incision site burst open, literally FLOWING with an outpour of infectious pus!!

Of course, with no private health insurance - I was another self pay headed to the closest urgent care center for evaluation...

By that time, I had an increase in the fever and the pain was so unbearable, I could barely stand for more than a few seconds at a time.

Seems I was suffering a grapefruit sized abscess at my incision site (which had filled by then, into another of my sites which had also begun to seep)...

The doctor listened to my sleeve experience and surprisingly enough, without judgement, did her best to not only provide excellent care, but to do so while keeping my self pay status in mind.

A culture was done and I received an injection and three prescriptions (after I couldn't tolerate one in particular) to treat staph infection and was warned that I should be hospitalized - and that if ANYTHING worsened or there was not an immediate positive response to the antibiotics, that I would have no choice but to be admitted. I was receiving the highest and most potent treatment available in an outpatient situation.

THANKFULLY...... after three weeks of what I thought must be what hell is like - - I think I am finally on the mend.

While in the urgent care clinic, I did contact one of the coordinators whom I'd never spoken to, but for some reason, had the number for... Shirley..... because the doctor needed to know what antibiotic I had been sent home from Mexico on.

She was cordial.... helpful.... and pleasant. Yet, I never heard from her again.

Yet another coordinator, Michele, (for Patti Lissberger) finally contacted me on 12/10 with a simple "how are you" email.... stating that Patti Lissberger prides herself on her after care contacts and "connections"....

I responded via email to Michele.... (cut and pasted the very email address she had provided).... and received, several days later, a response stating that I must have typed the wrong email address and that I should contact someone directly from the ISA Bariatric website. ::weird::

Again I responded - to three other email addresses, including Patti Lissberger's.... and after a couple more days, received a very generic phone message from Michele.

I didn't bother trying to call her back.

I am making my way...... recovering slowly........ having some issues with tolerating different things.... and I'm sure will have a billion questions throughout the journey....

But for now.... I just wanted to post MY experience and say that while I do believe there are a few things here and there that the Emmanuel Medical Center and staff could improve upon, I can't honestly say that I regret the experience... I may even go back again! (but I will definitely be more aware, more aggressive to state my concerns in the moments that I have them and better versed on what to expect.)

~ Just my 2 cents....

Nice to "meet" you all!!!

~ Libby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Complaints about aftercare issues:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/tell-your-story/2613-major-complications-emmanuel-medical-center-3.html#post24142

Hi Libby. I remember meeting you there. I can't remember if it was you or your roommate that stated they had the lapband that had tore a 4 inch hole in their stomach and they were getting the sleeve done. The day you all came to the clinic was the day I was checking out to go to the recovery house. I only met you both for a few minutes. I had surgery the same day as Mitzi. Kristina, Tasha and Jesus all had surgery on the 20th. Mitzi also had problems later with a small infection. I haven't heard from any of the others except Jesus and he apparantly didn't have any problems but he had the RNY done.

I also noticed the glove thing and I also mentioned it to my roommate. I also agree about them not checking vitals once you go to the recovery house. I think at the very least they need to check them before they send you home.

I spent one night at Dr. Betancourts house. I enjoyed my stay for the most part aside from being cold most of the time and Dr. Batancourt's spare bed was hard as a rock. I feel everyone treated me good and I have no complaints about that. I worry about the infections going on at the time. That's all I was ever trying to say. I hope they can take care of the problem and people can go home on the mend. Not dealing with more problems, making a bargain surgery cost a lot more in the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Future patients are told that those with infections are fake, they never did the surgery.  It should be noted that on another board this patient posted emails, an OR report, pre/post op orders, and a detailed description of the hospital and what was in the food pantry:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/tell-your-story/2613-major-complications-emmanuel-medical-center-2.html#post23941

Hi Bill
Sounds like we will be at Emmanuel with Dr. Almanza at the same time. I'm a patient...vsg...What are you having.
For one thing, this story is totally fake as there was no such surgery done on that date...
I have forwarded the info to Dr. A, his staff, and the site admin. Another fake story was posted on ObesityHelp by a Maria S she altered the details, but mostly the same...total BS! These posts are part of a smear campaign by a poster who gets kickbacks from the mx dr she supports. She attemptst to instill fear in anyone who uses Dr. Almanza. I think it was removed as it could in no way be substantiated. Go back and read NJSleever's posts----doesnt ring true....I am a nurse (17 years ICU) and what she said DID NOT ADD UP whatsoever. If you ask njsleever her for info she cannot, will not provide it.
If you'd like to talk please PM me and we can exchange phone numbers. I cannot give all details publicly as this serious case of slander/libel is under investigation. As a man in business, you can certainly understand that all a man or woman has is his or her good name. Bill, I hope to hear from you and it sounds as if we will be meeting in a few weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patient feels she must prove she is telling the truth to another Almanza patient having surgery in 2 days:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4083549/MAJOR-COMPLICATIONS-EMMANUEL-MEDICAL-CENTER-DR-ALMANZA/

Holly - I knew that there would be a reply like this soon.  Please find my email correspondence confirming my deposit payment for surgery.  I am not doing this for any reason but to HELP PEOPLE FROM SUFFERING WHAT I AM SUFFERING.  Imagine how I feel to read this while I sit here in a hospital still facing the unknown.  There have been successes at Emmanuel and I pray you are one! I do!  PM me and I can forward you the post op report they gave me and all my emails.  If you were lied to by your coordinator - you may want to challenge her with this information in hand.  Below I removed the coordinator and my last names and email addresses as a privacy issue.  I also removed my address from the PayPal receipt.  Good Luck and God Bless!

Sent: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:24:13 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: RE: Receipt for Your Payment to JERUSALEM HOSPITAL
Got it!!!  RESPECTFULLY, Shirley EMMANUEL MEDICAL

CENTER
JERUSALEM HOSPITAL PATIENT COORDINATOR www.emmanuelmedical.com www.hospitaljerusalem.com.mx
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 7:18 am
Someone recently posted about being held up at the recovery house.. they felt it was an inside job as the people with the guns were dressed the same as the caretakers. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4446091/Recovery-house -robbery/
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 1:30 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
It's a shame that we keep seeing people lining up for the slaughter.
Heather :o)
on 12/1/11 8:15 pm
On September 22, 2011 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, Pumpkin X . wrote:
It's a shame that we keep seeing people lining up for the slaughter.
Wow Pumpkin, good work! It is great with all of us vets here that we all have memories of different situations and can bring it to light when warning others.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Most Active