Answer toTaste change?

PapaJack
on 9/25/11 6:43 pm - VA
I saw on Dr OZ talk about taste. Say's bad fat will affect our taste buds & make them work less. By getting off of the bad fats our taste buds come back.
I think this is what happened to us who have a greater taste since the surgery. We are eatting right & WOW! The taste on everything is strong. What do you think?

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/25/11 9:34 pm
Nope. Dr. Oz is a moron and he doesn't know what he's talking about. It seems the doctors who know the least get TV shows.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

AnneGG
on 9/25/11 10:19 pm, edited 9/25/11 10:20 pm

Friday, September 23, 2011

Dr. Oz, Are Your Taste Buds Making You Fat?

Are Your Taste Buds Making You Fat?   9-20-2011
Dr. Oz, Taste Buds Making You FatSo do you think that it's possible that your taste buds are making you fat? Dr. Oz says the answer is yes. He said that your tongue is like a fingerprint. It has bumps on it that are unique to you.  Everybody's taste buds are different from one another.

Dr. Oz said taste buds can predict what kinds of foods that you are going to like. If you have very few taste buds it's going to take a lot of food to satisfy them. You will be less sensitive to food. You will need lots of fats to satisfy your cravings. People with a smaller number of taste buds or generally heavier. Also people that have a lot of taste buds generally eat smaller portions and are thinner.

How Do You Know If You Have A Sensitve Tongue

Dr. Oz gave the audience a small chopped pepper and he had them rate the "hotness" level on a scale of 1-3.  The ones that thought it was a 3 (thought it was very hot) have sensitive taste buds. These people likely have sensitive taste buds.

How To Sabotage The Sensitivity Of Your Tongue

Dr. Oz said that you can trick the sensitivity of your tongue by eating more fat foods. However the key is switching out the bad fats for the good fats or non fat alternatives.

Swap It :
  • Replace Bad Fat With Good and Non Fat Alternatives
  • Applesauce For Oil
Trick Your Taste Buds
  • Add Spices To Diminish Need To Taste More Fats
  • Cinnamon and Ginger

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/26/11 2:50 am, edited 9/26/11 2:53 am
Ahhh, pesudoscience! Dr. Oz is full of elephant dung and being extremely misleading.

-There is no scientific proof that all obese people lack paletes simply because they're obese.
-Not all obese people are obese due to over-eatting.
-Habbitual eating is NOT related to palete, but other issues such as: eating disorders, certain foods stimulating pleasure centers of the brain regardless of how the taste buds interpret things, not to mention the desire for "comfort foods" can sometimes occur out of the emotional need for a subsitute for a hug.
-Decreased taste sensitivity is not always due to a low taste bud count. This can happen from over-stimulation of the taste buds from repeated excessive exposure, amongst other things.
-Decreased sensitivity of taste buds due to overstimumation does not cause habbitual over-eating or "cravings".
-Nutritional needs of the body can cause "taste" changes (example: pregancy, you know, pickles and ice cream). This is the likely explanation of why people's tastes change post-op, the surgery changes your nutrional needs DRASTICALLY. You are also healing early post-op, and need to EAT what your body needs in order to repair itself. Things you ate pre-op may no longer be what your body desperately needs post-op.

There is no proof that consumption of fat reduces the sensitivty of the taste buds for bitter/sour/salty/sweet/umami. He is wildly distoring a study done in 2010 ("Oral sensitivity to fatty acids, food consumption and BMI in human subjects" ) where people of varying BMIs were able to detect differing amounts of fat in custards- those who had a high BMI seemed less sensitive to the differences- note, this study was rather small (around 50 people) and testing of sweet/salty/bitter/sour/umami taste sensitivity in relation to fat intake showed NO CORRELATION AT ALL. The claim that eating fat dulls our other tastebuds is purely Dr. Oz's invention, that is not science, that is what we call bull****

This study did not perform a taste bud count on the participants, so he's pulling that out of his ass as well.

Furthermore, only one participant of that study was obese. The rest were of normal weight or "overweight" according to their BMI (I think one person was underweight if memory serves).

None of the participants (who were required to create detailed food logs of what they consumed) were eating inappropriate amounts of calories for their height and weight.

Please, for the love of all that is scared, don't beleive everything that doctors tell you on TV. They are being paid to present certain information for either shock value, promoting the values of their TV network, or solicitation- never out of genuine concern for your health. Learn to read medical studies TV sheister docs use for "creative inspiration" so you know when you're being lied to, as everyone is by Dr. Oz. I would not let that poseur give me any medical advice, let alone wash my car.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

AnneGG
on 9/25/11 10:24 pm
I do think sense of taste changes for a little while post surgery- people frequently complain of protein drinks changing taste from before. I know they did for me, but now my taste is back to what it was before.

I wonder if it has something to do with ketosis?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active