Question about chewable iron

Kady
on 10/7/11 11:07 pm - Lancaster County, PA
I was wondering if I swallowed my chewable iron whole, if it would break down enough in my pouch?  The taste is absolutely horrible but I know I really need it b/c I have always been anemic.

I really need some ideas and suggestion on more tolerable iron supplements.

Thanks in advance!

Liz J.
on 10/7/11 11:24 pm - Woonsocket, RI
Im still pre op but, I wonder if you could "parachute" it. Crush the pill and put it in a tiny peice of thin toilet paper or tissue, twist into a little pouch and swig it down with a drink. that way all that has to break down is the tp.
poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 1:52 am - OH
I'm confused.  Why crush the pill and swallow it with some toilet paper instead of just swallow the pill, uncrushed and minus the TP?  Swallowing TP really doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  I am sure a tiny amount wouldn't really hurt you (at least I don't think it would) but I don't understand why you would choose to take your pills that way.  Is that really something people do?

Um, talk to your surgeon about how you'll be taking your pills after your surgery, OK?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Liz J.
on 10/8/11 5:59 am - Woonsocket, RI
Some people defenitly  do this.  [I havent]

The reason is  so they dont have to taste the medicine. If taking a chewable as a solid is an option that of course sounds better. I will defenitly talk to my surgeon if I have a problem with my medicine/vitamins.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/7/11 11:30 pm
My chewable iron says it can be chewed or swallowed whole. 

I wouldn't swallow any tissue or toilet paper. 

Winnie

Kady
on 10/7/11 11:39 pm - Lancaster County, PA
Winnie- That is good to know, I am going to swallow it whole then-it's better than not taking it at all due to the taste.  Out of curiosity, what kind do you take?  I have the Bariatric Advantage Lemon-Lime.

Liz- I have to say that swallowing tissue or tp does not sound like a good idea-I think my surgeon would flip if I told him I did that.  Not to mention I am only a little over 2 weeks post-op and I would never want to ingest anything that could possibly be harmful to my new pouch.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/8/11 10:40 am
I take Tender Iron from Vitalady.  They really don't have much flavor so they are not bad to chew either.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 12:03 am - Newark, DE
You can purchase empty capsules (they come in different sizes, you choose what you need); you can crush the pill(s), fill the capsule (several at a time) and swallow them with no problem and no, or minimum aftertaste.

Good luck!
poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 1:48 am - OH
Yeah, it will, but if you want iron you swallow, you might just wanna buy regular iron pills, not the chewable.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

redsnapper1975
on 10/8/11 2:00 am
The bariatric advantage Iron Chewy Bites are great.  Super chewy like a starburst, but kind of a chocolate raspberry flavor.  Love them!
~ Kim

Most Active