Excitement is gone!!!

bxbeba
on 10/19/11 5:40 am - NY
Has anyone felt that once they reach goal the excitement is gone?  That's how I am feeling now, having lost 119 lbs reaching goal I feel like all the excitement of losing is gone and this is starting to worry me.  Will I slowly start to fall into my old habits, will I gain my weight back????? 

How do you keep the excitment of all that you did to lose the weight going?

Any ideas?

Toni

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/11 5:45 am
I just wrote a post about all the things that are no longer part of my every day life that I forgot how painful they were for me.  I read and post here often to remember what I never want to have to deal with ever again.  The only person who can make this journey a thrill ride is you, you can gain back all your weight and be miserable or you can embrace the new you and enjoy every day, its your choice.
bxbeba
on 10/19/11 5:58 am - NY
Thank you for your reply.  I know there's a lot that I dealt with while I was overweight that I no longer have to.  I guess what I am feeling is that excitement of seeing the scale numbers go down, telling people how much I lost now that I am at goal is no longer happening.  I have a lot to be grateful for now that I did lose all the weight and am happy about that it just makes me nervous that I don't feel there is a goal to look forward to any longer.  I am very happy with my weight loss and hopefully keep my head on right and never go back to the way I was.  I have friends who have lost their weight and gained it all back and I can never see myself doing that - after all this work never.  

Again, thank you for your reply and I do read your posts.  You give a lot of information and give me and I guess others things to think about as we all are still in this journey.

toni

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/11 6:06 am
Oh believe me I get it, I know its fun to be losing and having a goal to achieve and then you get there and you're like well what the hell do I do now.  So now you have to start enjoying the new you, appreciate what you can do, wear, feel and see without all the restrictions you felt before.  Now its time to marvel in the new you and forget the scale, just don't lose sight of the fact you can start to regain at some point and catch yourself before it gets out of control.  I heard the best advice years ago about it being easy to stay a certain weight then to lose weight, so with dilligence you won't have to be bothered by the scale, just don't let it get too far out of your sight.  Now its time to enjoy your accomplishment!!!!
bxbeba
on 10/19/11 6:12 am - NY
so true - thanks for the inspiration and lift.

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/11 6:18 am
If you are ever in doubt, over the knee boots will cheer your right up.  I got some red suede Calvin Kleins that are just to die for.  lol
bxbeba
on 10/19/11 6:21 am - NY
LOL - I actually bought some new heels the other day - drove the man crazy because my shoe size has changed so much he had to keep bringing out different sizes.  I will definitely try the over the knee boots!!  Hmmmmm red suede boots now that would make me happy (and probably my husband too). 

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/11 6:30 am

I got them at TJ Maxx about 2 weeks ago for 99 dollars, they were soooooo worth it and super comfortable.  Gisela by Calvin Klein is the name if you want to look online for them.

USAF Wife
on 10/19/11 10:27 am
I wrote an entire blog post about this very subject, and what I did and still do to this day is "CHERISH" every single thing. No matter how small or trivial it may seem to others, it's not about all the big numbers, but the fact that I can walk the mall for 3 hours without aching, or needing to stop and take a break, or swing by the food court for an ungodly healthy meal at 3 in the afternoon, or the fact that I can walk into any store and pick up something off the rack, or that I can go to my son's school and fit into one of the tiny desks and not worry about not being able to get out. I pretty much threw myself into volunteering opportunities and community involvement as a distraction, and a void filler which gave me a great sense of accomplishment.

Ya know, it really is the little things. I shopped until my heart was content, I had an entire new wardrobe, I hit a milestone of a size 0 in Gap jeans, I mean after that what else is there.

Then we started TTC, and that lasted a year. Today, I'm a mere 12 days away from delivering a perfectly healthy, beautiful, and amazing daughter. A new chapter in my life is beginning and I have VSG  and all my hard work to lose my excess weight and maintain the loss, to thank for it.

So, you find something to replace that feeling and that sense of accomplishment. Shopping only lasted so long for me. It's nice and all, but honestly, it gets boring too. So, a constant change in routine and finding new adventures were keys to me finding contentment in a size 2 jean!
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

loverofcats
on 10/19/11 12:19 pm, edited 10/19/11 12:20 pm
When I hit goal, it felt a bit anti-climatic. This has happened at other stages in my life, when I have reached goals. What I have learned, is that one has to set new goals, something else to strive towards. For me, maintaining my weight within a 2 lb range since mid-April is a wonderful achievement for me, and is a goal that I have for the next year and year after that, and hopefully, every year thereafter.

Currently, my goal is to continue to improve on my level of fitness and to be the best that I can be at my age. I want to ski this season, which would have been impossible one year ago. I would like to be fit enough, to go on a multisport adventure trip. My work in the gym and bike rides are ways to accomplish this goal.

This journey has been a complete change in lifestyle, and everyday I am grateful for the second chance at a healthier and more active life. WLS is truly a gift and one that I cherish each and everyday.

Maintenance is all about practicing the same behaviors that helped you to lose the weight in the first place. You'll be able to eat a few more calories, but the healthier behaviors and exercise continue. This is the change in lifestyle. Being fit and healthier, will enable you to be more active.

Think about what you would like to do or accomplish, and work towards achieving them. Setting new goals will help you to maintain.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active