Insurance question.....HELP??

free4l1fe
on 12/15/11 2:09 am - University Place, WA
REALIZE Band on 03/27/12

So here is the story....
I have a RYN scheduled for Dec. 29th. I originally wanted the sleeve but my insurance company said no. So, I decided to go with the RYN because I do not want the band. After doing a lot of reading on this wonderful website, I have learned of another procedure called the DS. I did a lot of research on that and found I would prefer that over the RYN, so I called my insurance company today and they told me no it is not covered.
So, now I am stuck with the dilemma of; do I left my insurance company dictate the surgery I am going to get, or do I try to fight back and get an approval that may not happen, and then waste time?
Has anyone fought the insurance company and won? Does anyone have any tips or pointers for me?

Thank you for your help!

Barbara C.
on 12/15/11 2:37 am - Raleigh, NC

People have fought and won. There are some criteria that can allow you to have it... i.e., BMI or if you require NSAID medication which is contraindicated with the RNY. I would suggest you see about cross posting this question to the Insurance and DS forums. I'm sure that you will find people that are knowledgeable about this issue and would be glad to share their experience with you. 

I hope you get the procedure that you feel will best support your weight loss and maintenance goals. 

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Father Don
on 12/15/11 3:12 am - Charleston, SC
From a general point of view (and I'll be corrected by DS'rs out there), DS is for people with a very high BMI that need to lose weight quickly.

The other thing is the vitamin regimen is larger.  You need to take more and more often due to the greater malabsobption that the DS creates.

You and your doctor can appeal - the doctor will need to provide sound medical evidence that Procedure X is the best way to go because of A, B, C, and Possibly D.  Once the insurance company has that from the doctor, they usually come around and approve.  It's more work on your doctor's part...and i know some that won't even bother appealing - mine did for the sleeve, was approved when he got off the phone with them (he was on for 10 minutes giving the medical reasoning).

Remember - your Doctor works for YOU!  You are the customer.  They need to realize that and do more for their customers!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

MsBatt
on 12/15/11 4:39 am, edited 12/17/11 12:25 am
Father Don, let's make a deal---I won't preach sermons if you won't talk crap about the DS.

Anyone who qualifies for WLS qualifies for the DS. Since it's THE best treatment out there for Type II diabetes, a diabetic of any weight can benefit enormously from having the DS. In fact, surgeons in Europe are doing just the Switch on NON-obese patients to treat/cure their diabetes. (Clinical trials are underway in the US, too, if you're one of those who think that the US is always the "best".)

We have several DSers who were 'lightweights' and who are doing very well. On a different board, I know someone who had the DS with a BMI of 32---to treat her diabetes. We currently have at least one poster *****vised to the DS from a different surgery, at or below goal weight---because of the medical issues their original WLS caused.

So no, the DS is not just for people with high BMIs. The DS statistically gives the very best long-term, maintained weight loss for patients of ANY size, but this is especially true for patients with a BMI greater than 50---in other words, the higher your BMI be less likely you are to be successful with the other forms of WLS.
Father Don
on 12/17/11 11:14 am - Charleston, SC
Actually, Insurance companies do not automatically cover DS surgery is you qualify for WLS.  That is a fact.

Also, I started by saying "IN GENERAL". 

RNY and VSG has also shown to statistically reduce diabetes as well.  It's losing the excess weight that causes the reduction in diabetes.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Guate Wife
on 12/17/11 11:39 am - Grand Rapids, MI

They may not "automatically", but they have been made to 100% of the time when forced to on appeal, and THAT is a fact.

And, yes, RnY & VSG has shown to statistically reduce diabetes, it is called remission.  The DS is the only procedure to "cure" T2D at a rate over 99%, and again, that is a FACT.

You may wish to do some research before you spout inaccuracies and misinformation.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

MsBatt
on 12/17/11 12:24 pm
On December 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, Father Don wrote:
Actually, Insurance companies do not automatically cover DS surgery is you qualify for WLS.  That is a fact.

Also, I started by saying "IN GENERAL". 

RNY and VSG has also shown to statistically reduce diabetes as well.  It's losing the excess weight that causes the reduction in diabetes.

Actually, I didn't mention insurance companies. When I said that if one qualifies for WLS, one qualifies for the DS I meant that if qualifed medically---sufficiently high BMI and/or qualifying co-morbs.Therefore, in general, anyone who qualifies for WLS can request the DS from their insurance company, and appeal if denied---even if the policy specifically states it covers only specific forms of WLS.

RNY and VSG have been shown to reduce diabetes---just not as often or as long-term as the DS. And if it's losing the excess weight that causes the reduction in diabetes---which it's not, BTW---how do you explain people who leave the hospital off all diabetes meds? Hummm?

Do you really want me me preach a sermon, or do you want to take me up on the deal I offered?
CriscoNinja
on 12/17/11 12:59 pm
DS on 06/05/12
 Actually MY insurance company DOES "automatically" cover the DS.  ;). Lucky me!!!
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/18/11 5:57 am
Insurers can cover whatever surgery they want (or exclude WLS), but the criteria the patient must meet, having a BMI over 40, or BMI over 35 with co-morbidities, is the same for the sleeve, RNY or DS.
Valerie G.
on 12/15/11 3:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yes, you can appeal.  Contact Diana Cox for suggestions on angles to work for an appeal.  She's helped many force their insurance company to pay for the DS.  You don't have to have an excessively high BMI or serious comorbs.  You need a BMI of 35 with comorbs or 40 in good health.  Learn more about it from dsfacts.com

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active