Tourning in Bed or getting up from the seat - Painful for how long?

ollieboysladybird
on 12/25/11 5:00 am - Canada
Anyone else find getting out of bed really painful? What about just a simple adjustment? I hate and dread it, yet getting out of the seated position is also uncomfortable still!

I'm 7 days post op tomorrow...is this still normal? How long did you feel uncomfortable for?

Thanks,

Sara

Sarah

RNY
Surgery Date: December 19th 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ruggie
on 12/25/11 5:20 am - Sacramento, CA
Fairly normal - you typically use your abs to hoist your upper body up in bed, and those are the muscles they cut through.  My pain lasted nearly 3 weeks, but it was less over time.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

tinamarie_125
on 12/25/11 8:23 am
It was a few weeks for me. I found that walking in small amounts help in the pain/recovery time. Even if it is just a short distance a few times a day.
I had RNY though...what surgery did you have?
Liz J.
on 12/25/11 8:23 am - Woonsocket, RI
Do you have an abdominal binder? Its the best! Are you taking pain meds? Im 9 days post op and Im doing really well getting up now. Everytime you get up it gets easier!
Raynbug09
on 12/25/11 8:09 pm - TX
OMG LIZ ..... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my abdominal binder. It really does make all the difference in the world.

martitalinda
on 12/25/11 4:29 pm
It is very normal and before you know it it will go away.  I had pain for weeks on end because I had back to back surgery because of a postoperative complication.  I left the hospital a week later with a gastrostomy tube and an ileostomy bag.  I had to sleep on a recliner the first couple months totally unable to get into bed.  Between the pain and the itching from the anesthesia I was beside myself.  The liquid percocet and the benadryl made me sick and grossed me out ...To top it off I had this horrible sensation in my mouth and throat because of a swollen uvula caused by intubation during surgery x2.  Walking helped and eventually the pain resolved and the body settled down.... I was so happy when I was able to get in and out of bed and now I am enjoying the best ride of my life celebrating my 5th Xmas post weight loss surgery. 

Keep yourself hydrated by sipping your fluids, make sure you consume your protein in whatever measure was recommended, take your vitamins and walk as much as you can without overdoing it.... before you know it you will be feeling so brand new.

Wishing you nothing but the best on your journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Keeves
on 12/25/11 9:38 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
I would thing that this is the sort of question where it would make a VERY big difference depending on what kind of surgery you had.

Mine was a laparoscopic RNY, and all that sort of pain went away fairly quickly -- I even stopped my tylenol/codeine about 4 days out. Maybe I was simply blessed with a good surgeon and a quick-healing body. But in my imagination, sleeves would require more recovery time.
Onmyachingfeet
on 12/26/11 10:33 pm - RI
Welcome to reality, it hurts for a week or two but then gets so much easier. Just remember to walk, walk, walk.

BoomerSooner1
on 12/28/11 9:14 am
 I had some post op complications and some bad bruising, which kept me from using the bed or laying on my side until about Day 11. Now I'm sleeping in the bed fine and ok on my side when I feel like it. 

At a little more than two weeks out the abdominal muscle pain is almost gone, the bruising is down with just a little pain near the incisions. No problem getting out of bed of the recliner.
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
Most Active