Pre-op Diet...Ahhhhhh!

NellyNell
on 1/5/12 8:57 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 01/12/12
So my surgery is scheduled for 1/12/2012. I started my pre-op diet last week and have been on it for a week. I was doing ok but mess up a few days. I started with just liquids with the Atkins protein shakes but then wanted something to chew so ate an atkins protein bar for a snack once a day. Day 2 I ate a 2 spring rolls but stuck with the liquids. Day 4 I just wanted junk! I had 2 salt and vinegar chips (didnt eat anymore because I felt guilty) but then ate some popcorn.

I went for my pre-op appt yesterday and I am down 3 pounds but I am afraid my liver might not be small enough because of the solid foods I am eating. I usually only eat a meal for dinner. Monday I had half a cornish hen and broccoli, Tuesday same thing, and Wednesday a chargrilled chicken garden salad from chick-fil-a with half of the fat free honey mustard dressing. The things I am eating are healthy 95% of the time but will eating solid foods affect the shrinking of my liver?

Someone pleae help me!!
MsBatt
on 1/5/12 9:42 am
Here's how that liver thing works---

Glycogen is stored in the liver, and this makes the liver 'slippery' and difficult to work with. We can deplete the liver's glycogen stores by eating a low-carb, high-protein diet. (It doesn't matter whether the varbs and the proteins are ingested as liquids or solids---they all become liquified before they reach our intestines anyway.)

Eating solid food will NOT affect the 'shrinking' of your liver---but eating carbs will. Cut out the chips and popcorn, enjoy the chicken and veggies.

Barb H.
on 1/5/12 10:16 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Good info. Once I go on my pre-op liquid diet, I will be allowed a little bit of fruit each but the rest of my intake will be liquid.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

rhonda G.
on 1/5/12 8:35 pm - East Liverpool, OH
   I am currently in the final process of what my insurance told me to do to qualify for gastric by pass, I was told to loose 10 lbs before sur gery so when he does do it, i wont be bloated and feel s tuffed after the surgery is over .. I wasnt told anything about the liver.. Now, since aug. i have lost almost 30 lbs, and well i am near the end of the process for my insurance company. going to finish the requirements up and submitt them to my insurance.. I have no clue about the liquid diet before s urgeyr? i was told if i lost my weight i would be fine? now i am confused . lol
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/5/12 10:21 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
Rhonda, every doc is different about what they require before surgery.  Some want a 2-week liquid diet to shrink the liver and some don't.  Your doc will tell you what s/he wants.  My surgeon's office has you go to a workshop about 2 weeks before surgery where you learn about what you can and can't eat in the 2 weeks pre-op, and in the various stages post-op. 
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/5/12 11:30 am
RNY on 01/10/12
You and I have the same doctor, and almost the same surgery date. In fact, I had my pre-op yesterday too.  Did he say anything about your weight loss?

Unless your VSG diet plan is different than mine for RnY, I think you're OK with the chicken and salad, but not so much with the carbs, spring rolls, and protein bars.  

You still have a week. You can still stick to the liquids for the next week and shrink your liver as much as possible.  You're going to have to do it after surgery. This will be good practice.  Jello is good for filling your belly a little, and hot tea helps a lot too.
foxeybrn3807
on 1/6/12 12:10 pm
 Hello...wow the pre op liquid diet...I had the sleeve three weeks ago today..my dr wanted me to do  a two week diet..needless to say I didnt start eating right until yhe 2nd week of liquit diet...keep in mind liquid is cream soups, jello, juice etc. I was asked the day of my surgery if I had any solid food within two weeks and I wanted to lie but I didnt want that to cause any complications during the surgey....so I said yes and told them what it was (sml bowl of chili) .  My nutritionist came in and said there may be a chance my surgery may be delayed and I cant tell you how bad and dissapointed in myself I felt after going through all the classes etc. She said it was ip to the dr....I never begged so much in my life to please over look what I ate!!! They were afraid I was not going to be able to make it through the post op liquid diet which was a bit better because can not eat that much nor want to eat....so the moral too my message is dont jepardize all of your hard work..because you have come to far! Hope this helps..good luck!

Most Active