Phsych eval tomorrow?

shasta101
on 2/20/12 2:48 am
RNY on 03/20/12
I have my labs, xrays, and phsych eval tomorrow and I am curious as to what will happen there? I suffer from depression and have since my teenage years and I'm on meds for it. Will this keep me from passing? I have thought about this surgery for years and here I am at the last hurdle and I'm scared something will mess it up.

cegirl6
on 2/20/12 3:23 am, edited 2/20/12 3:25 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
It should be ok...lots of questions about the surgery and your expectations to make sure you understand the commitment involved in it...I was on depression medication when I saw my psych and I was still cleared for surgery...They did touch on my background, but its more about if  you will be able to comply to all the restrictions of a wls surgery

stlfocus
on 2/20/12 4:09 am - IA
I also had to take a battery of psych tests with 100's of questions. A lot of times, they asked the same question in a different way. This was in addition to meeting with the doctor.
cegirl6
on 2/20/12 4:21 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 Yeah I did that too...they had us take it at the first seminar and they put it in a sealed envelope to take to the psych doctor... so wanted to open it and see what else was inside...lol

MacMadame
on 2/20/12 4:51 am - Northern, CA
My psych eval was a joke.

If they follow the ASMBS guidelines, then they will try to ascertain if your depression is under control and if you have a good support system in case something about the surgery triggers it. If you do, they should pass you.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

jodisue40
on 2/20/12 9:27 am - OH
RNY on 04/11/12
I had my psy last week, it was a lot of questions. I always had some type of depression in my life and I did fine, I got depressed with all the questions.
Jackie McGee
on 2/20/12 9:43 am - PA
Depression won't hurt anything. Just be open about it, answer the questions honestly and stress that you're willing to do the work it will take to lose and keep the weight off.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

shasta101
on 2/20/12 11:12 am
RNY on 03/20/12
Thanks everyone for your response. I am so nervous..

Shannon_K
on 2/20/12 12:26 pm - OK
 I take cymbalta and never stopped.   I feel great.  I had my surgery 2-7-12. 
Jack_Fabulous
on 2/20/12 2:35 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
I suffer from depression and anxiety and I am on several medications.  I passed my eval and you will too.  They give you a test and the evaluation is based on that. Unless you are suicidal, you will be fine.

Most Active