So upset...

shasta101
on 3/7/12 1:35 am
RNY on 03/20/12
 Well I have been waiting for the Drs. ofice to call me and they did. They cannot schedule my surgery until I have more labs done. My TSH (thyroid levels) are outragous. I have to go tomorrow and do more labs. I feel like there is always something to make me wait longer to have this surgery. My Mom has thyroid disease and I am so scared that I will never get my WLS now. Has anyone else went thru this and will they even do the surgery on someone with thyroid disease?

mirlyn2012
on 3/7/12 1:49 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
I can't answer but wanted to wish you luck. We live in the same area based on who your surgeon is too so howdy neighbor!
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
bjalberta
on 3/7/12 2:04 am - Canada
VSG on 03/20/12
 If you are hypothyroid (low thyroid) as indicated by a high TSH, you will likely have to take medication.  A high TSH means your thyroid is not working properly - everything slows down.  There are many symptoms including feeling cold, hair loss, weight gain, fatigue, joint pain, memory problems, etc. They will likely want this number in order before any surgery.... Your thyroid is a very important little gland.  We forget about it until it acts up! It controls many body processes including your metabolism, and if it's low, it likely is contributing to weight gain or the inability to lose weight. I'm sure it's frustrating, but it's great if they catch this and fix it.  Things will go much smoother.

BJ

HW 325     SW 303    CW 245.    GW  170
bjalberta
on 3/7/12 2:06 am - Canada
VSG on 03/20/12
 .... Forgot to say I have hypothyroidism, and it is treated with replacement hormone and I will have my surgery in 2 weeks..... 

BJ

HW 325     SW 303    CW 245.    GW  170
cegirl6
on 3/7/12 2:35 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 I have hypothyroidism and my surgery is on Monday..they did recheck my levels on my preops and I was a bit high at 4.85, but I am already on levothyroxine so i was cleared for surgery..I have tested at a high 9 before, so they probably want you to be on medication first.

shasta101
on 3/7/12 10:18 am
RNY on 03/20/12
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will have thyroid levels re-checked tomorrow. I just did not want any more road blocks before I could have wls. Maybe they will be better.
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/7/12 10:55 pm
It is good they tested it. So now - you can get treatment. You also may reconsider what surgery you will get - RNY or DS - have malabsorbtion - and that also includes medication - VSG -Sleeve - does not do that.  Talk to your doc.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active