Anything Need to Know b4 Hysterectomy?

100less
on 3/23/12 2:13 am - Stafford, VA
Besides pain meds, is there anything else gastric bypass patients  should know before  a hysterectomy.

Just fonund out I need one , scheduled Tuesday.

Thanks.
(RNY 2004).
NomoreXL
on 3/23/12 2:43 am
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Hi, I can tell you a little something about a full hysterectomy. I am now 41& when I was 39 I had the surgery . I was shocked by how Much of my personality was linked to my ovaries.And the first couple of days I was ok....and I told my Dr.no , thank you i do not need any hormone replacement.A day later I was crying when I called him and asked if I could get some. LOL (not funny at the time)  It has been 2 years now and I am not taking anything for hormones.When I started my hormones,my doctor told me about the risk of taking them.He suggested I wean myself of when I was ready to.He suggested by the 5 year mark for sure to be done with them.They have been liked to breast cancer. And I was REALLY surprised by how totally exhausted I would get right after surgery and up to about 8 weeks . It really is a long recovery time take all the time you can to recover. REALLY TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF,TAKE IT EASY!!! Some people I know took10 to 12 weeks off work. I thought at the time they told me that ,that they were crazy...but Truly,if you can take that much time to heal.... really do it. I thought" oh, I can get my house work done and get caught up on a few things" No way!   I was way wrong!Please learn from my mistakes.    Please listen to your body and rest as long as it takes=) Sorry, to sound bossy, but I really hope the best for you....take care.  
jodisue40
on 3/23/12 3:42 am - OH
RNY on 04/11/12
I am due to have my surgery April, but I did have a full hysterectomy in 2009, recovery was about 8 weeks, I did have to go on the hormone due to hot flashes, I am now off of them because of the up coming surgery due to the risk, I am doing ok right now, I find my self a little moody, BUT since the hysterectomy I do feel so much better...Good Luck

amysquest
on 3/23/12 3:50 am - CO
No worries, been ther done that, no different than anyone else. Good luck.
LoveMyHarleyDavidson
on 3/23/12 12:55 pm
I had a hysterectomy when I was 32. They left my ovaries. Shortly after the hysterectomy, I started have bladder control problems. I went to a urologist who said that when the gynecologist did the surgery, he had not tacked my bladder up, and it fell into the area that the uterus had been. He said it was standard procedure to tack the bladder in place during a hysterectomy. I knew nothing about that and it had never been mentioned to me. I had to undergo another surgery to have the bladder tacked up, so I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon.
Most Active