Saying hello!

ButterflyAnna
on 3/26/12 12:02 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Hello Everyone...

This is my first post on these message boards although I've been reading them for weeks. I have to say, it's so nice to be able to relate to many of you and I'm really impressed by all the support you offer eachother!

A little about me....I'm 39 years old, married and a mom of 2 (10 and 6). I have been overweight since the day I was born and have been on "diets" since the age of 8....yes, 8! Like most of you, I have tried everything under the sun to lose weight...WW, Nutrisystem, Atkins, South Beach, Slim Fast, Ally, Lo-Carb, No-Carb, grapefruit..you name it, I've done it -- at least 10 times!

About 3 years ago, I started researching WLS. I went to a class about 2 years ago and decided against it. I thought I'd give losing weight on my own another try. Guess what? It didn't work. Last week I attended a surgeon "meet and greet" and have been researching WLS on my own. I have decided to take the next step and have an education class set for 4/10. I've contacted my insurance company and was told they would cover it although there are many hoops to jump through.  Right now, I'm leaning toward having the sleeve done. I just think that's the best choice for me.

I'm looking forward to starting this journey and I'm so happy there's a place for people like me to come for support!

Anna
southbay311
on 3/26/12 2:24 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
Hi Anna

congrats for taking the first steps on many in this process. Your insurance company is correct they mandate several requirements b4 green lighting the procedure. Hang in there it will be worth it. I started with my consulation with my surgeon on 11/16/11 and through the preop supervised diet period for the insurance, pre-op and RNY on 2/22/12 I have lost a total of 54 pounds. I can't remember when I lost that amount of weight in such a short period of time. Since surgery I have lost 16 pounds and I am feeling almost back to normal. I was very fortunate my surgery and recovery were very easy. No pain just soreness across the abs. Many suffer from gas pains afterwards as well but I managed to be lucky enough to miss out on those too.

Take every day and every step and know you will begin to find yourself becoming a better and healthier person.

Best of all to you
Nance
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
ButterflyAnna
on 3/26/12 3:24 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Thanks Nance! Congratulations on all your success! I'm glad to hear of someone who hasn't had many complications. Luckily, I don't have any serious health conditions other than being overweight -- no heart disease, diabetes, etc. But, I'm trying to prevent them in the future! I'm hoping all this testing and never ending paperwork goes quickly!

Anna
southbay311
on 3/26/12 4:33 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
Anna,

The journey your beginning is truly a rollercoaster! I wanted the sleeve but my insurance company denied it at the final stages. Then went to the RNY and approved, my surgery thankfully was only delayed about 10 days, then all went as planned.  Hang in there you will make it!!!

Nance
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
parisagol
on 3/26/12 5:10 am, edited 3/26/12 5:12 am - MD
RNY on 10/08/12 with
Hi Nance, did your insurance ever ask  you for the 5 years weight report?

Parisa
Most Active