RNY. Does this mean no sweets ever again?

Popclub
on 3/26/12 6:45 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 I had RNY on 2/28/12.  

As a newbie, does having RNY mean we can never eat sweets or desserts or a piece of candy again? 

I know that eating sugar or sweet foods can lead to dumping. So for those of you who are years out, do you never eat dessert? No little slice of pie, cheesecake cookie or birthday cake? Ever?

I was not a big sweets eater before, but now I am curious. I didn't think that after surgery we would forever have to give up desserts.

Beejay

Jennifer M.
on 3/26/12 6:51 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
Some people don't have problems with sweets after RNY.  Some people have to have serious restriction at first, but can tolerate in moderation later on.

It's impossible to know where you'll be in the future.  I'd give yourself at lesat a year before you try, though.

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/12 7:07 am
I  was a HUGE  sweets eater preop.  Maybe because  I was diabetic ?  GOSH  i LOVED  my daily bag of  Jelly-bellies ...  my ( total bag if not two of  " peachie -o's )    I told myself it was ok ( kindof ) cuz it was  all fat free 

lets not mention  the daily half loaf   of fresh baked "whole grain "  sourdough  bread  or pot of "healthy "brown rice ..

Here is MY  post RNY difference .  I STILL  love these things ..  in theory .  As a matter of fact I  actually  love and dare eat them WITH fat .

BECAUSE  i only eat a single bite almost all of the time...

that single bite ( that I lick and eat and LOVE to pieces for many minutes) satisfies my  longings and my taste buds .  I ALSO fit into my hot new clothes .. feel healthy and am  no longer diabetic .

its MAGIC 
Popclub
on 3/26/12 7:10 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Lol! 
So one Hershey Kiss will do!
LouLou7
on 3/26/12 9:48 am
On March 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM Pacific Time, meeow wrote:
I  was a HUGE  sweets eater preop.  Maybe because  I was diabetic ?  GOSH  i LOVED  my daily bag of  Jelly-bellies ...  my ( total bag if not two of  " peachie -o's )    I told myself it was ok ( kindof ) cuz it was  all fat free 

lets not mention  the daily half loaf   of fresh baked "whole grain "  sourdough  bread  or pot of "healthy "brown rice ..

Here is MY  post RNY difference .  I STILL  love these things ..  in theory .  As a matter of fact I  actually  love and dare eat them WITH fat .

BECAUSE  i only eat a single bite almost all of the time...

that single bite ( that I lick and eat and LOVE to pieces for many minutes) satisfies my  longings and my taste buds .  I ALSO fit into my hot new clothes .. feel healthy and am  no longer diabetic .

its MAGIC 
So, you've decided not to get a revision at this point? Based on your regain issues and broken metablism?

Good for you!!!

Emily F.
on 3/26/12 8:03 am
It wasn't worth the risk of dumping to me. I chose duodenal switch. I still gain weight if I go overboard with the sweets but no dumping.
poet_kelly
on 3/26/12 8:58 am - OH
You don't have to give up sweets however.   Eating sweets may cause dumping syndrome, though.  And eating many sweets may keep you from reaching your goal.

Didn't your surgeon tell you about dumping syndrome before you had surgery?

I do dump on  sugar, but I'm OK with about 12 or 15 grams.  So yeah, I have a cookie now and then.  But a piece of cake would be too much sugar for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Popclub
on 3/26/12 10:42 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 My surgeon and NP discussed dumping. I was asking more for personal experiences. 
C J
on 3/26/12 11:23 am - Franklin, MA
I'm just over a year out and have tested the waters of how "much sugar can I tolerate"... for me it is SO not worth the consequence a short time later when I break out into a sweat, get dizzy, nauseous and feel like I'm going to pass out!!

I'm pretty sure that my tolerance for sugary foods is quite low (like within the 15/20gs mark) there really is NO nutritional value but I DO treat myself on occasion to a Kiss or two is my all time favorite and a pretty controlled portion.

FYI: It's not just sugar that can make you "dump", fat can put you in that dreadful situation as well if you're not careful!!!    For me this is WAAAAY worse than Sugar... HIGH FAT foods are just an absolute NO NO for me!!!

Fat/Sugar/High Calorie/Carbs etc got me to the weight I was...  NOT having it in my diet now... well I will NEVER see those digits on my scale again!!

~CJ 

I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

JudiJudi T
on 3/26/12 1:57 pm, edited 3/26/12 1:58 pm

I don't dump.  I can eat pie, cookies, birthday cake, etc.  I don't make a habit of it though - actually it's pretty rare that I do eat those things, but I can if I want to.  

It's going to depend on whether you are a sugar dumper or not ... and there's no way to predict it.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Most Active