A card to order smaller portions at a restaurant

karianne
on 4/6/12 7:25 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
I got a card 8 yrs ago with the lapband but never used it.  I order off the appetizer, fish, or salad section.  I would not order off a child's menu (my kids do all the time) and its usually mac and cheese, grilled cheese, hot dogs, burgers and pasta and meatballs.  It's much better to order and bring home the leftovers (which is foreign to me) but totally normal for the rest of the population.  Like my sister never finishes her meal and brings it home I not only finished my plate but always had room for dessert LMAO!

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

"Just Elizabeth "
on 4/6/12 11:10 pm - Houston, TX
Why would you want to give out your private medical information to a complete stranger? And why would he/she want to have it? Do you go around telling people about your latest yeast infection? Or your latest fungal infection? This is private medical information and there is no reason for the waitstaff at a restaurant to have it. Much less to use it to try and get a discount. You didn't pay more when you ate more.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Momof2Sweeties
on 4/6/12 11:34 pm - NJ
I love how on some of the board questions people resort to name calling and just down right rudeness to answer a legitimate question someone has come to a SUPPORT group to ask. Anyway, I agree with Frisco on this one. Just order a regular portion and take the leftovers home. There is definitely something satisfying about getting 2 or even 3 meals out of of 1. If budgetary constraints are concerning for you, then get an appetizer or split and entree with someone. I had thought about getting the card, but in the end it just didnt make sense to me. Not that I cared about anyone finding out about my surgery...I would shout it from the rooftops if I wasn't so damn scared of heights...this was the best thing I did for myself and I don't care who knows about it...it just came to be that whenever we do go out, I like the frugality (not one of my traits btw..) of getting 2 or 3 meals out of 1....JMO,

Shannon

"Just Elizabeth "
on 4/8/12 12:27 am - Houston, TX
On April 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM Pacific Time, Momof2Sweeties wrote:
I love how on some of the board questions people resort to name calling and just down right rudeness to answer a legitimate question someone has come to a SUPPORT group to ask. Anyway, I agree with Frisco on this one. Just order a regular portion and take the leftovers home. There is definitely something satisfying about getting 2 or even 3 meals out of of 1. If budgetary constraints are concerning for you, then get an appetizer or split and entree with someone. I had thought about getting the card, but in the end it just didnt make sense to me. Not that I cared about anyone finding out about my surgery...I would shout it from the rooftops if I wasn't so damn scared of heights...this was the best thing I did for myself and I don't care who knows about it...it just came to be that whenever we do go out, I like the frugality (not one of my traits btw..) of getting 2 or 3 meals out of 1....JMO,

Shannon
I love how on some of the board questions people resort to name calling and just down right rudeness to answer a legitimate question someone has come to a SUPPORT group to ask.

1) I think you are making an assumption there. You do not know what the tone was of the person posting their comments. What you read you filter through what you think. You do not hear how this was intended to come out. If you think most of these people are being rude maybe you need to reread their comments and make sure you are not reading through your filter. Seeing something that is not there and not intended.

2) Support is not always hand holding, patting someone on the head and going "There, there." Some times it is a good, swift kick in the ass. If that was the intention of the posters that you are taking exception too then maybe you need to consider that as well.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Momof2Sweeties
on 4/8/12 11:09 am - NJ
I agree that support isn't always hand holding. I don't believe the topic regarding a card to order smaller portions is one that requires handholding, name calling or rudeness in the responeses. Just stating MY opinion, and well, we all know what they save about opinions.

Shannon

"Just Elizabeth "
on 4/8/12 10:31 pm - Houston, TX
On April 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM Pacific Time, Momof2Sweeties wrote:
I agree that support isn't always hand holding. I don't believe the topic regarding a card to order smaller portions is one that requires handholding, name calling or rudeness in the responeses. Just stating MY opinion, and well, we all know what they save about opinions.

Shannon
I was not responding to the OP about support. I was responding to your statement that this was a support forum. Again, support may not always be what you want to hear but it usually is what you need to hear.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

morkie31
on 4/9/12 12:24 pm - TX

Thank~you for your sweet reply, I just asked because three of my friends have a card and they use it it isn't embarassing they ask me why don't I use my card I said I didn't get one so that is why I was asking. I usally get a small plate and take some food off from my husbands plate but there are times I don't like what he gets and I don't eat leftovers from restaurants because it doesn't taste the same. I also give alot of the leftovers to others that are at the table. I am not cheap person I just don't like to waste.I am two years out and 107 lbs released.Most places are very nice when I ask to order alacarte I just tell them that I am a fussy eater they usally laugh and say they understandI really feel like maybe I asked the question wrong to get so many negative responses. So thank~you again  Morkie31

Dragonryder2
on 4/7/12 3:53 am - NM
Don't worry about that stupid card.  It isn't worth it because yea you will get a smaller portion but will pay full price.

Just ask for a box when they bring your meal and FIRST thing just put 1/2 or a little more in the box before starting to eat.  Works great and you have a meal for later or the next day.

Best wishes to you
MacMadame
on 4/7/12 5:38 am - Northern, CA
Oh and to all those who we didn't convince that this card isn't worth getting...

Here's a link to one you can print yourself:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/RestaurantCard.html

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Valerie G.
on 4/7/12 11:59 am, edited 4/7/12 12:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
The card puts restaurants under no obligation that they wouldn't otherwise do if you just asked.

The kids menu's often have nothing but crap I'm not interested in. Now, my local Bob Evans will let me order off of the Seniors menu just by asking so. It's a little cheaper, but not much, and usually has one side less than the regular portion. Other places, I've asked for half portions, and many are happy to accommodate me. I just explain that I have a small appetite, hate leftovers, but really enjoy quality food. I'd probably get a 20-30% discount, but by no means half price. Oh, and at buffets, just ask if you can buy it by the pound, and you'll be eating for only $3.

Now, if they don't do this, I don't put up a stink. I just get a regular size, and my 18 yr old son is happy to help with the leftovers I don't want.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active