Scar tissue concerns

lesserman
on 4/8/12 10:21 pm - Chicago, IL
I've run across a number of posts (though I can't find them now) in which scar tissue (can't even remember the proper medical name for it...st-something) from the sugery has become a major complication for some.

How does one become aware this is becoming a complication?
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Bettisima
on 4/8/12 11:04 pm
I think you are referring to a stricture. It is something that happens to RNY folks. Where the pouch attaches to the intestines, is called the stoma. The scar tissue builds up as you heal, and can make the opening smaller.

Early signs include a pain in your chest, under the sternum when you eat. A basic need to go backwards in your food progression. Where maybe you had started on solid foods, but find after a period that stuff gets stuck. So you start to move back towards pureed and liquids more. Vomiting is not normal for anyone, and if you find yourself vomiting often after eating, that's another sign.

Call your surgeons office and talk to them if stuff like this starts to happen. Fixing a stricture is very easy. Sometimes folks have to get a stricture dialated a few times. Some don't. And only about 30% of patients ever get one.

Cheers
lesserman
on 4/8/12 11:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Yes!

Thank you, Bettisima!!
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

lesserman
on 4/9/12 1:44 am - Chicago, IL
What does the dilation procedure involve?

Is it done on an out-patient basis?
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Bettisima
on 4/9/12 1:57 am
Dilation can be done as out patient. I think it depends on the patient and the surgeon. I have seen posts that talk about a hospital stay foe dilation.

My personal experience was a 10 mibute procedure done under sedation. The prep and recovery took the longest. I had gotten dehydrated because I kept thinking the issue was me not chewing well enough, or eating too fast. I was struggling to keep fluids down. It was a 2 step process. Rehydrate and then fix the stricture.
lesserman
on 4/9/12 3:06 am - Chicago, IL
One more reason (not that it is needed) to remain hydrated...keep taking in fluids...

Thanks!!
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

LosingSally
on 4/9/12 12:30 am
A stricture can happen to anyone who has surgery on their stomach, not just weight loss surgery, or just RNY.
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 12:52 am - Mexico
On April 9, 2012 at 7:30 AM Pacific Time, LosingSally wrote:
A stricture can happen to anyone who has surgery on their stomach, not just weight loss surgery, or just RNY.

LIKE!

Very true.  People swear sleeves and DSers can't get strictures.  Not true.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/12 1:32 am
There is also internal-inside your guts scar tissue... that may attach itself to your intestines. Anytime they open you up - even lap - they create injury inside you (blood, little bit of tissue, small "scratches" on the inside..etc). That start healing - but it may go overboard and cause more scar tissue to grow inside you - binding all of the insides and organs together... How would you know? you would not unless you end up in pain and they can't figure out why - and decide to open you up and discover that.   Any abdominal surgery - (GB removal, c-section, etc) will - may create scar tissue.. Sometimes the doc plans to have lap surgery - but once they go in they may discover lost of scar tissue and have to do open surgery (any surgery)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lesserman
on 4/9/12 1:42 am - Chicago, IL
Wow...fortunately, I like to know both the good and bad.

While the info is not exactly encouraging, better to be made aware than not.

H.B.;

What you describe would, by now, be more the exception than the rule, yes?

Specifically, the healing going overboard...obviously, it occurs, but with less frequency, yes?
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Most Active