Post Op-GBS x 2 weeks-CONSTIPATION MAKES ME MISERABLE

CelticSoul
on 4/18/12 6:13 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm 2 weeks post op (GBS 4/3) and suffering regularly with constipation.  I am pushing to get all my fluids in as well as protein.  My doc's office suggested Milk of Magnesia and/or stool softeners but, nothing seems to help.  In frustration and discomfort I am resorting to Fleet's enemas every few days.  Any suggestions??!!

Hoping for Help.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/18/12 7:56 am
you can try water enema - or suppositories...
I use magnesium daily.. . a lot ... if I do not - I get constipated.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mom4Jazz
on 4/18/12 7:59 am
I had terrible constipation, in fact I had two impactions.

What worked for me:

First, I got myself completely cleared out (see your Fleet enemas). Then I started taking a dose of Colace (store brand equivalent) every morning, at least 15-20 grams of fiber (store brand Benefiber in my drinks) daily and a dose of Miralax at bedtime.

Now that I can take in more fruit & veg I've dispensed with the Miralax but still do the other two.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

stlfocus
on 4/18/12 8:01 am - IA
Agrree with Mom4Jazz - I take 3 Colace (also generic brand) everyday and that has kept me going.

CelticSoul
on 4/18/12 8:37 am
Thanks to those that offered advice!!!

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one out there with this problem.  I'd say if it wasn't for this-my experience so far has been stellar.  The constipation leads to an underlying bad taste in my mouth which affects my interest/willingness to eat or drink.  I force myself to push my fluids, etc.
If I can find a way to manage the constipation, I'm sure things will progress more favorably.

IMO there's been very little pain-a day or so post op where my lap sites were tender but, as the bloating dissipated, that went away. 

Looking forward to more comfortable 'travels along this road'.

Thanks to ALL!!

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 4/18/12 8:56 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I am using Mirilax , going to start 2x a day and going to start stool softeners , everyday has been getting worse , not terrible yet, but don't want it to get out of hand

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

ND2BTHN
on 4/18/12 10:54 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 This is being discussed on the Ontario board. Constipation is nothing to ignore. Hope some comments on here help.

obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4522769/Impacted-Bowel-Help/ 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
SueBee01
on 4/18/12 11:16 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I had the same problem after 6 weeks. I now take 1 colace in am and pm, some fiber in my drink in the morning and sf Benefiber
tablets at night. Working much better.

Hope you feel better soon. I know I had a terrible fault two trying to get cleared out. ;(
 Sue

CelticSoul
on 4/18/12 11:22 am

UPDATE...

"Yes Virginia...There is a POOH FAIRY"...she came, she saw, she laughed 'er toushie off n' then, she dusted me w/relief!

Milk o' Magnesia is my NEW BEST FRIEND.  It takes so little to DOO so much...ya get the picture.

Thanks to Everyone for their advice and 'atta-girls'...it certainly helped.

Hugs,
Celtie xo

JJ_
on 4/18/12 9:06 pm
Once you are able to be on the diet for life, you may want to consider eating the bite-sized prunes each night.  I found that I was straining too hard as the consistency of the product was too hard.  The prunes soften everything up and relief EVERY morning.
Most Active