new here

karenp8
on 6/12/12 3:16 am - Brighton, IL
I've been joining in on posts and wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I am a 52 year old wife and mother of two college age boys who has basically struggled with my weight all my life. I have done all the diets out there: Weigh****chers 2 times, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Food Lovers PLan, grapefruit diet, cabbage diet and on and on... When I was younger I was able to lose weight but never to goal and the longest I ever kept weight off was 2 years before I hadmy boys. The older I get the higher the weight goes. I have been considering WLS for about a year and have researched everything I can. I know that if I want to be around to see my boys grow up I have got to do something. I already have high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia and am headed for diabetes. I have my first appointments next week and am so excited. I can't wait for the day whenI can go in a restaurant and not have to avoid the booths or the looks of other people as I eat. When I can get back on the pontoon boat sitting in my yard that has been unused for the last two years! Thank you so much for all the information and support and friendship that I have found here, even when I was just lurking!! 
MsBatt
on 6/12/12 6:33 am
Howdy! Which form of WLS are you considering having?

Remember, the DS has not only the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, but it's also the very best at resolving or preventing things like diabettes and high cholesterol---and it still allows you to take NSAIDs for your arthritis.

Not all surgeons are qualified to do the DS, and if you consult with one who isn't you're not likely to be given complete, accurate info about it. After all, the Ford dealer isn't going to sing the praises of the new Lexus, now is he? (*grin*)

You'll be back on that pnotoon boat before you know it!
karenp8
on 6/13/12 12:48 am - Brighton, IL
No one in our part of the state does DS so I am planning to have RNY. I have done much research on doctors and have selected the one with the most experience and best reputation even though my insurance would pay 100% at a different hospital. I will have some copays here but it is worth it to get the best possible results.    
MsBatt
on 6/13/12 1:19 am
On June 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM Pacific Time, karenp8 wrote:
No one in our part of the state does DS so I am planning to have RNY. I have done much research on doctors and have selected the one with the most experience and best reputation even though my insurance would pay 100% at a different hospital. I will have some copays here but it is worth it to get the best possible results.    
I agree 100% that's it's worth whatever it costs to get the best possible results. That's why I chose to pay out of pocket in order to have the DS rather than the 'free' RNY I could have had.

Don't let the thought of traveling for surgery spook you, either---lots of people travel half-way around the world in order to get a DS.
denise0530
on 6/12/12 8:23 am - PA
RNY on 05/16/12
Welcome to the the group, good luck with your appointment.  It is an amazing process, I am almost a month out.  It goes fast!!

Denise Marie SW 248 CW 156 Roux-en-Y 5/16/12                        

karenp8
on 6/12/12 10:49 am - Brighton, IL
I hope so. I am ready to get going on the next phase of my life!
MyLady Heidi
on 6/12/12 10:55 am
Welcome and Good Luck!  Have you decided on a surgery yet?  It all really is surreal especially in the beginning, wondering if this can really become your new life.  I wish you great success.
karenp8
on 6/13/12 12:45 am - Brighton, IL
I am planning/hoping to have RNY surgery.
joeyanderson
on 6/12/12 2:36 pm
Welcome! I agree with her. Did you ever tried on surgery?  Hope you coul try that, it can help you too. Good luck!
Most Active