Looked at different now that you are skinny?

nicole u
on 7/11/12 4:32 am - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with
I have to say something and I can really only say it on here.  I have noticed now that I am skinny that I am treated so differently by strangers.  I think its terrible.  When I was heavier people didn't hold the door as often, or smile, or exchange friendly gestures as they do now.  I just was in Dunkin Donuts getting my 2nd unsweetened iced tea of the day and a lady apologized to me 2 times for her children blocking the door.  I said, don't worry, they aren't bothering me.  When I was heavy people wern't as kind and I remember that. 
Do any of you feel the same way?

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

CAJUN71
on 7/11/12 4:40 am - TX
RNY on 07/02/12
im just nearing my first 20 lb loss, so im not one of the skinny folks yet lol.. but i already know what youre talking about... this whole world in general often treats the "beautiful people" as if they are more important than everyone else.. dont it just make you want to give them the finger lol.. i think its important for people to never ever forget where they came from, and i think that people who have been thru difficult cir****tances, whether it be weight issues, financial issues, etc. may be some of the best people on earth when they dont hold against someone what they have managed to overcome themselves.. i have a feeling that since youve noticed it, you may be one of those good folks

nicole u
on 7/11/12 4:45 am - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with
Aww, thanks girlie!!  Congrats on your recent loss!!  You will do great!!  I consider myself to be soooo compassionate at least I try to be!  It really hits home when I see things like this.  I treat everyone equal.  It just bothers me when I was 300 pounds I was looked at so differently.  I just don't get it...we are still human!  UGH!  Aggravating!

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

joysmiles
on 7/11/12 5:00 am - Raleigh, NC
The world does treat you different...right or wrong.

But when thing I never hear people say - you HAVE changed. The head is held higher...you're more confident...you meet people's eyes with yours. You have changed as much as they have.
Allaryanna
on 7/11/12 5:10 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 This change in other peoples behaviour was the first thing I noticed.  People who would never have noticed my existance before no make comments on clothes, hair, etc.  And as you said I now get doors held open for me and people do smile and apologize more.  

I didn't realize how invisible I was to the world prior to weight loss....

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Cindy T.
on 7/11/12 6:55 am - Newaygo, MI
There is an absolute difference in how skinny people are treated vs. fat people. I've experienced it, first hand.  Obesity is one of the most obvious prejudices, if you ask me.  It is sickening....heart-wrenching...but it is a reality. 
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

twellington1
on 7/11/12 8:39 am - NH
I noticed this too as I lost my weight but then I realized that it is not other people it is me.  I am more likely to look people in the eye now so therefore they are more likely to look at me!  I think it is because we have changed the way we approuch the world so we are treated differently.  I am more confident in every part of my life.  I speak up more at work, at home and out in public because I do not feel like I need to hide.  Just today I found myself flirting with the cute electrician at my work...I would have NEVER done that a year ago.  My coworkers got a kick out of it.  Embrace it and try not to get angry about it. 

twilit_tera
on 7/11/12 9:04 am
People have said that as a newly thin person, you act differently and people respond to that, and they are right. 

But it's also true that obesity is one of the last remaining things about which it is okay to be predjudiced about. Studies show that obese people are overlooked for jobs and for promotions, and fat jokes abound on radio and television. I've always been fairly sensitive to this.

I just hope that when I get thinner, I can appreciate the changes in the way I'm treated and not resent it too badly. I'll still probably get mad at fat jokes, though.
 Tera
CoraDee
on 7/11/12 3:36 pm
I guess I lucked out on this one. I was never treated especially rude, no matter what weight I was at. I held doors for other people, they held doors for me. I smiled and met their eyes, they smiled back. I dunno, maybe I'll notice something when I get closer to my goal weight?

Valerie G.
on 7/11/12 11:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Yes, I notice it, and I milk it.  Life is too short to be bitter about the past though.  People are shallow by nature.  My biggest difference was at work with senior management.  Before my DS, I was "Valerie Who?".  After my DS in the same job, I somehow became a rock star in their eyes.  They looked past me before, and see me for who I'd always been now.  I'm okay with that.  I'm not saying its right, but I accept that I cannot change how they act.  I can, however, set an example with other  obese people to make sure they have a voice at classes and meetings that I hold.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active