losing a ton of hair!

joetorres
on 7/28/12 7:23 pm
 My surgeon told me everything in my blood looks great but the Vitamin D was low. Now I'm on those too but why am i losing a ton of hair!. I lose a hand full in the shower and a hand full when i comb my hair after the shower! Its even on the floor and on my clothes. I'm noticeably thin and balding in the front center near my forehead line to the point i have to perfectly comb it over. I have long hair that i donate once a year to Locks Of Love but at this rate ill be the one needing a hair peice :(

JJ_
on 7/28/12 10:55 pm
It is perfectly normal.  My hair loss was from 3 to 7 months, with month 4 post-op the worst.  I bought a special drain cover for the shower to avoid plumbing problems with all the hair loss.

Judy
Bette B.
on 7/28/12 11:38 pm
 Try upping your protein for a week or so. I had a very minor problem early on and adding a shake a day really made a difference.

And congrats to you for doing that for Locks of Love. I shave my head every year for kids with cancer and am proudly bald by choice for most of the year.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

SueBee01
on 7/29/12 12:06 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I am the same way and my doctor just put me on a stringent vitamin regimen for hair loss. PM me if you want the details.
 Sue

Dolores L.
on 7/29/12 12:13 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12
 Does anyone have experience with adding Biotin to help with hair loss?

caroletee
on 7/29/12 12:50 am
I had my bypass surgery Feb 29 - and for a time - it seemed like NONE of my hair was falling out - not even the "normal". Then suddenly - oodles of hair fall out. It seems to be sort of waning now. I still have more than "normal" fall out but it's much better.

I am fortunate - I have always been blessed with thick hair - I do/did find it extremely alarming only because I wasn't sure how long that much hair could fall out without it really affecting my appearance. Like I said - it's much better now - and it's summer - so having  less hair hasn't  been awful.

One of my friends had bypass surgery 2 years ago. Her hair got so thin - it was very noticible. However today, she has very thick and crazy curly hair!

I increased my protein a bit and added another biotin to my diet (one in the am and one in the pm). I don't know if it helped - but at least I felt I was doing all that I could do to keep what I had.

Good luck and a temporary hair piece migh help you feel better about your looks. Some ladies on here have posted pics of them wearing all different types of wigs. They look great and they found it a lot of fun to try different things. I know - you're a dude and not exactly the same. Just sayin....

southbay311
on 7/29/12 1:23 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
I take biotin as well and when I met with my internist I had her check my scalp too. Luckily I have lots of hair and I started losing in the shower at about 3 months and being 5.5 month now it is still coming out. Not as much but still several strands washing my hair.

My doc said to add some niacin too so that's what I'm doing. Biotin and niacin.

Hope it helps
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Valerie G.
on 7/29/12 3:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
At your stage as a post op, what you are experiencing is called Telogen Effluvium.  The trauma of your surgery has rebooted your hair growth cycle.  The new growth is starting to push out the old follicles, and with your hair being long, it's particularly noticible.  This starts 3-5 months post op and lasts only a few months.  The extra vitamins and protein will benefit the new hair growing in, but will not stop this necessary cycle.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SueBee01
on 7/29/12 4:11 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
That is what my doc said too. I am on iron, calcium, d, e, b12, biotin, multivitamin and zinc at different times during the day.
 Sue

joetorres
on 7/29/12 4:11 am
 Going shopping today! Gonna get those vitimans . Any good shampoos that will also help?

Most Active