What protein shakes do you recommend

slwths
on 8/13/12 1:26 pm
VSG on 08/27/12
My pre-op diet starts tomorrow and I am going in a bit to buy some protein shakes.  I haven't ever been able to stomach slim fast type shakes...the after taste is just more than I can handle.  So, I thought maybe someone could give me some advice on which to buy!

Thanks for your support and help!

MsBatt
on 8/13/12 1:44 pm
Every protein shake I've ever tasted was disgusting. Are you required to do a liquid diet A low-calorie diet high in protein-rich FOOD works just as well to prepare you for surgery as does an all-liquid diet.

Which form of WLS are you having?
Sarah C.
on 8/13/12 2:06 pm - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Everyone's tastes vary.  There are lots of different kinds out there, but my surgeon's dietician says to stick with the Protein Isolates, not protein concentrate.  However, of those you can buy at a regular store (I haven't looked at GNC, Complete Nutrition, etc) typically have the protein concentrate. 

Definitely read the contents on the back.  Go for more protein, fewer sugar carbs, and a lower amount of calories if you can find it.  Protein is the key, though.  See if there are different sweeteners that trigger the nasty aftertaste for you.  You may be able to find ones that don't have that sweetener.

I have been doing Bariatric Advantage (purchased from my surgeon) and I love the banana one, but it isn't for everyone.  I also have one I bought at Sam's but I can't remember the name.  It's chocolate, but it's the protein concentrate (Purchased before I learned the recommendation) I also have some of the Unjury and Celebrate. I also mix mine with milk instead of water, but not everyone likes milk nor can everyone have it.  I've also been stocking up on Muscle Milk (Or Muscle Milk Light) because they come pre-mixed and are great for work/travel.  I will say, though, that MM has the longest lasting after taste for me.  it's a sweet taste, so it's bearable. 

See if there are any sugar free syrups you can add, too.  They are typically with the coffee products in the grocery store. 

Hope that helps.  

Good luck!
Sarah :) 

RosieSweetie21
on 8/13/12 2:15 pm
I like the EAS  carb control chocolate fudge and strawberry cream- these are ready made and have 100 cal and 17g protein, 3g carb. GNC also has Lean Shake Ready to drink in Vanilla that I really like- it has a lot of vitamins, 25g protein, 170 cal and 6g carb. I also use the body fortress powder from walmart, it is cheaper but you have to mix it. I also have bought the MHP protein pudding at GNC- chocolate that I added a tiny bit of no carb (Land of Lakes) whipped cream to, that I really like. (The only drawback is that it is expensive- but they run sales like buy 1 pack and get 2nd for half). The lean shakes you can go into GNC and buy 1 to try them. (They are in a refrigerator, before you make an investment).  Good luck.
kdunn
on 8/14/12 10:29 am - Goodlettsville, TN
We like the EAS carb control.  Also PurePro they have 23 grams of Protein.

Kim

Valerie G.
on 8/14/12 10:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I found pleasure in none of them, I'm afraid.  The one that sucks less is Click espresso protein powder, but it still has an aftertaste.  Some vanilla and heavy cream helped.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active