What are the basics? After surgery? To lose weight?

coconutatthebeach
on 10/19/12 6:03 pm
What are the basics for losing weight after surgery? Is it all liquids or what?
Huneypie
on 10/19/12 6:22 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Depends on which surgery and how far out you mean. Most surgeons have their patients do liquids for the first few weeks (some for 4-6 weeks even).

If you say what surgery you're getting then people can offer more specific info.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

JJ_
on 10/19/12 7:12 pm
The basics are to read the nutritional information that your surgeon or bariatric centre provide and follow the advice.  It varies greatly from surgeon to surgeon.

They will normally have you on a staged diet from clear fluids, full fluids, pureed foods, soft foods and diet for life (or something similar).  This is because your insides are healing and the swelling needs to go down.

You will always need to ensure a certain level of fluids are drank each day.  That is for basic health and wellness.

Good luck,

Judy
Mary Catherine
on 10/20/12 1:54 am
 With RNY the weight is lost because you eat very little and what you do eat is not fully absorbed by your body.  Sort of like fillig up a car when the gas tank has a leak.  

The programs are to preserve your health and to help you develop good habits.  The body learns how to overcome the malabsorption and then it is necessary to have learned how to eat properly to maintain your health and weight loss.

Any of the surgeries require good eating habits for long term success.

chipmunk_roasting
on 10/20/12 6:54 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/20/12 7:35 am
If you are only asking about the few weeks or so after surgery, even within surgery types, there is a lot of variation based on what your surgeon wants, as some say liquids, and I know of one that said "eat what sounds good in moderation as soon as it sounds good to you", so it's pretty much doing whatever your particular surgeon says immediately post-op.

If you mean after the first few weeks or months, then it's completely different depending on what surgery you get. I'll talk about he DS, since that what I have, and I chose it in part because it has the most normal post-op eating style.

During the first year or so I was actively trying to lose weight, so I tried to limit carbs (not everyone does, or has to, but I did) to under 100gr a day. I eat pretty much what I want, but at nearly 5 years post-op, I can eat what most would consider a smallish dinner, like a plate with a steak, and small sides like some potatoes, salad, small dessert. The DS can also drink with meals, which mattered to me. For some, carbs or lactose (particularly the first few months or year post op) make them farty. I had issues with lactose the first year, but could eat carbs then, and now without repercussion. Not sure if that's good or bad, as I enjoy it now, but worry it may bite me in the butt some day.

Then, as well as now (I'm in maintenance, so not actively trying to lose more) I eat my protein first, and aim for 80gr a day. I don't worry about fats since I only absorb about 20%  but some need to eat plenty of fats to keep the poop moving. Not me, I just don't have to avoid it like I did pre-op. Despite my eating fats with most meals, my cholesterol is low for the first time in my life, thank goodness.

I exercise if it's fun. I hate stuff like jogging, and prefer to ski and swim, and actually can now. This also seems to vary with DSers, as I know some skinny *****es that do next to nothing to maintain, and some who are avid fitness buffs. 

This is what is typical for me, as a DSer, but not every DSer is identical. I could list what are typical post-op diets for band, sleeve or RNY as well based on years of reading, but it would be best if some of those surgery peeps post first hand, so hopefully more will come along. 

Valerie G.
on 10/20/12 12:32 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You need to be more specific, hun.
I wasn't on full liquids for more than a day

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

GodisGood
on 10/21/12 7:57 am - Perth Amboy, NJ
Do exactly what the dr, nutritionist, and nurse say...... I followed every rule down to the T. I didn't eat what they said I couldn't and ate what they said I could. It's what I did.... I'm five years out and I've lost over 270 lbs..... Good Luck!!!
It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes.
Beauty=Confidence. If U Believe it,, They'll Believe it.!  

According To Your Faith Be It Unto You. Matthew 9:29    
MsBatt
on 10/21/12 10:36 am
Once you're cleared to eat solids, the 'basics' are : Protein first, carbs last, drink plenty of water. How MUCH protein, how few carbs, depend on your surgery type, but everyone needs to drink a minmum of 64 ounces of fluid daily.
Most Active