Big Fatty Legs verses Skinny Legs?

Tammy H.
on 12/22/12 10:37 pm - Greenville, OH

My starting weight was 440, and now I am 240...I am 5'2 1/2...I was looking at the before and after pictures, and noticed that women similar to my  before size, now have skinny, nice looking legs...I've lost some weight in my legs but nothing like others have...Does anyone know how to lose weight in the legs? And what weight I have lost in my legs is nothing but flabby skin flapping together when I walk...Anyone else experiencing this?

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

Mal
on 12/22/12 11:10 pm

I carried a lot of my weight in my butt/upper thighs and now have some loose skin now.  It was exactly as you are describing for the first year and half/two years following wls.  During the third year (my surgiversary will be on 4/21 and I'll be 3 years out) The skin has gotten significantly better.  Its still there, but I don't cringe every time I look in the mirror anymore and I love my new body.  I have accepted it and being almost 42 years old, look really damn good!  I don't want to sound conceited (I am FAR from it) and still find it amusing when I catch people 'checking me out' especially men.  My fiance and I joke about it all the time when we go out and if he sees me chuckling and shaking my head we laugh.  He'll point it out to me if I don't notice it sometimes too.  He is my biggest supporter and has always given me an honest opinion when I ask him "does this look okay" if I don't see it in the mirror.  He will take pictures of me and show me exactly what everyone else sees too and will do this when we go clothes shopping too.  I remember a few instances when I've been in dressing rooms trying on clothes and I've just broken down into tears.  I never thought I'd look like this and am so happy to have had the opportunity to have my RNY.  My goal with wls was to get healthy and get over all of my health ailments and off my medications and I did.  Everything else is just icing on the cake to me :)

Mallisa

Valerie G.
on 12/23/12 12:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I think much has to do with genetics.  I, too, have ugly thighs, but I like that I kept some junk in the trunk when I lost my weight.  Mal is right that the skin tightens "a little" over time, but no miracles there.  One thing I do love is that I discovered that I had an hourglass figure, complete with a small waist and curvy hips.  There just isn't anything to do to fix the skin except a scalpel.  In the meantime, I love my lycra shapers and I'm thankful that Bermuda shorts are in style. When you're shopping for pants and jeans, especially, look to boot-cut styles, as they balance you out better.  Definitely avoid skinny jeans, for they'll make you look like a giant exclamation point.  The only exception is if you're pairing them up with some tall boots.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AnniesSS
on 12/23/12 4:32 am
RNY on 09/11/12
I've got large thighs too and haven't found the secret yet to losing it but my husband received a bicycle from a friend who passed on so were going to start riding together and I think that will help.
  Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

JJ_
on 12/23/12 7:41 pm

Hmmm, well, this is just my opinion.  At 5' 2 1/2'' and 440 lbs. you needed a good foundation to hold your weight and be able to move.  How long were you overweight?  Your body has compensated for this by increasing the blood supply, muscle, etc. to your legs.   This may be something that you cannot change.  I have not heard of anyone having plastic surgery to correct this either, although you may want to look into it.

Congrats on your significant weight loss.

Judy

tulips52
on 12/24/12 1:36 am, edited 12/24/12 1:38 am

I am in that category. My thin aunts also had big legs....I will never like my knees or cankles...it is what it is! I have batwings to match...... no shorts/sleeveless tops for me in public. :-(

Renee4joy
on 12/24/12 6:59 am

Hello,

I have never had skinny legs..I have big thighs although other women have told me that they would kill for my thighs but I wish they were thinner only because its had to fit in certain clothes. i have a small waist and big thighs..they are not firm at all because of the weight lost..So you wont catch me wearing shorts in the summer time..Its genetic for me all the women in my family have big thighs..So i just gotta deal with it..Be encouraged..I also do alot of squats al leg/thigh exercises in attempt to tighten the muscle..hope this helps..

Renee

Most Active