Natural sugars???

Melinda S.
on 1/4/13 11:52 pm - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
While drinking my Apple Juice this morning I realized how much sugar is in it.., then I looked at the ingredience thinking there may be added sugar. But there isn't. So while I a waiting for my surgery date my question is will will natural sugars from fruit cause dumping? Not just juices but say I eat an apple.
Mike R.
on 1/5/13 12:36 am - Warner Robins, GA

Well, the simple answer is that it depends.  Since you are asking about dumping, I assume that you will be having RNY.  Approximately, 60% of RNYers are prone to dumping.  Your sensitivity to dumping will be unique to you.  However, in general foods that possess no or limited amounts of refined sugar (sucrose) or high-fructose corn syrup will have a low glycemic index which reduces the risk of dumping.  Fiber, fat, and protein can lower the glycemic index when sugars are present.  That is why drinking apple juice might cause dumping while eating an apple might not.  The lower the index the slower the sugars in a food are digested and absorbed into the bloodstream.

As a RNYer 3.5 yrs post-op, I've never experienced dumping but I do experience hypoglycemia if I eat too much simple carbs too quickly.

Good luck!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

TXKashmir
on 1/5/13 12:58 am - Grand Prairie, TX

What Mike said - and just letting you know, my surgeon did say it was OK to drink fruit juice as long as it was 100% juice. Guess what was one of the first things I dumped on? Apple juice!...and I even watered it down. Now I always buy the lower sugar versions if I need a juice fix. The good news is - I do not dump from just eating an apple (or any fruit). Of course, everyone is different so keep that in mind. Best of luck to you in your upcoming journey - please keep us posted!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

MsBatt
on 1/5/13 4:36 am

Sugar is sugar. Don't eat it.

anewbeginning2012
on 1/5/13 6:32 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I'm 3 months out and normally stay away from even natural sugars (fruits/juice) but over the holiday, I had 1/2 an orang.e. It went down fine, no bad things happened but I did notice it triggered a craving for sweets. I was hungry the rest of the day- and until that point, i didn't crave anything sugary. So, that is something to keep in mind.

Kris        
straberryz
on 1/5/13 7:57 am - Ottawa, Canada

google answers :)

2 to 3g sugar per oz of raw apple

up to 28g sugar for one cup of apple juice

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

hollykim
on 1/6/13 9:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

sugar is sugar ...natural or added. if you give your body simple sugar(fruit) pre and post op,your body will use it first instead of burning your stored fat for energy,hence less weight loss.

Most Active