traveling

mocuevas
on 1/13/13 10:08 am - TX

Hi!  I am new to the forum and have my surgery scheduled for Jan 21st.

I'm starting to get really anxious about it and I have a question.

In late Feb I am schedule to travel for work to Orlando for a conference.  Will that be too soon to be staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants for all meals?  How about the energy level 4 weeks out?  DO I need to be worried about it?

I appreciate any thoughts, wisdom and advice.

Thanks, smiles, Mo

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

Valerie G.
on 1/13/13 11:20 am, edited 1/13/13 11:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

With a normal recovery, I would give a definite "MAYBE" .  I was very weak and listless for a good 6 weeks, so I would have said no way - however others have recovered faster.  You won't be able to lift/push/pull anything more than 8 lbs, so you'll need help with luggage and even your laptop.  You will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl eating out, though.  You will still be figuring out what works for you so you may set yourself up for a bad experience, and it won't go unnoticed when you eat three bites before feeling full.  If this conference is that important and you need to be on your A-game, I would be looking to reschedule the surgery afterwards.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 1/13/13 1:59 pm

Al Roker was about a month out when he pooped his pants in the White House. Learn from his example. (*grin*)

JJ_
on 1/13/13 5:45 pm

Which surgery will you be having?  Some people recover faster than others.  You would need to ensure that you have fluids, foods (protein) that you could eat, and have your vitamins into a routine.  Energy may be an issue.  I was still napping in the afternoons.

Judy

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/13 11:50 pm

It completely depends on the surgery type, which one are you having?  Bands or sleeves, no problems.  RNY or DS, I don't know.

mocuevas
on 1/14/13 12:52 am - TX

RNY is the type I'm having which is why I'm concerned... seems like the recovery might be a bit slower.

Thanks,

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 1:18 am

Some people are up and moving in a couple of weeks and some a month. 

Annyka
on 1/14/13 10:18 pm - Pfafftown, NC

Yes, too soon for normal restaurant meals at 4 weeks post op. Your program guidelines will tell you when you can graduate to solid food, but typically that's just barely at 4 weeks, and we're talking about tablespoons at a time.

I personally could not have done a conference at  4 weeks - I was out of work for 5, and could have used 2-3 more. A shopping trip at 4 weeks post-op (Christmas shopping, 2 stores) had me near fainting, and sitting down in any bench/chair I could find multiple times to have the energy to continue moving.

Other people's experiences vary, but honestly I think it's an unrealistic expectation.

AnniesSS
on 1/15/13 8:17 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I went back to work 9 days after surgery and did half days for 4-5 days to get back into the swing of things (I was out a total of 3 weeks with knee surgery and then RNY).  I was tired the first day, but it went away fast.

Make sure you have plenty of water and your vitamins ready to go and for food... if you can get to a grocery store to eat at least breakfast and dinner, you might be better off.  good luck!

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Most Active