Glucose Test will Pregnant after Gastric Bypass???? Comments please!!!

jenysez1
on 1/30/13 9:27 pm - LA

Hi, I had gastric bypass about a year and a half ago, lost 170 lbs.  Reversed my polycystic ovaries and a suprise got pregnant after giving up b/c we tried for 12 years.  I am about to have to schedule my glucose test at the OB and everyone I know that I talked to that had GB got horribly sick taking that test which resulted in a false reading and they ending up having to test there blood like twice a day at home with a monitor and keep log of the results for an accurate conclusion.  I know many woman feel yuck and pucky, but there were telling me fainting, throwing up constantly, severe diarrhea , horrible headache.  Almost all of them told me to refuse the test and tell the doctor you will test and keep log of my blood sugar with a home monitor.  I would love to get more opinions.  I am very nervous about this.  Thanks Bunches!!!

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 10:04 pm - OH

I wouldn't take the test as it would cause me to dump.  Ask your doc about alternatives.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jenysez1
on 1/30/13 10:06 pm - LA

Thanks Kelly, I am really thinking about refusing it and doing an alternative, I just have a feeling my ob will be pissed.  I read the specifics and it is 50g of glucose you have to drink and if you have a reaction then you have to do another one drinking 100g

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 10:10 pm - OH

I don't know why your OB would be pissed.  I would think he would be able to understand that so much sugar could cause dumping syndrome and that he would not want you to become very ill during the test.  But even if he does get pissed, well, that's his issue, not yours.  50 grams of glucose would definitely make me terribly ill - I would be throwing up, too dizzy to stand up, and be just miserable for a good hour, at least.  I can't even  imagine drinking 100 grams of sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jenysez1
on 1/30/13 10:15 pm - LA

That is exactly how I feel.  I mentioned it when I was only about 2 mths pregnant, that I heard horror stories and I was scared to take the test and she said, "oh well you have lots of time before you need to take it, but everyone has too."  I love her but I guess her response will determine if I stay with her.  I do go for my year and half appt with my gastric doctor in about 3 weeks, but I have a feeling she will schedule the test in about a week or two so I emailed him to get his opinion. 

JulieS.
on 1/31/13 1:47 am - KS

Remember that we healthcare providers can only perform tests/procedures on you which you consent to, so if you need to track blood sugars instead of doing the oral glucose challenge, then calmly explain why, and then stand your ground. Don't let a nurse, mid-level, or MD guilt you into doing something which you know is wrong for your particular body.

Have them prescribe a home monitor for you and track them as a brittle diabetic would. Take one reading upon waking, a reading 30 minutes after every primary meal, and one before bedtime, and then chart those results for your provider along with the foods you ate at those meals. Additionally, you might also ask for them to do a hemoglobin A1C on you for a snapshot view of how well your body is coping with sugars overall.

Good luck, and if they give you too much grief, I would suggest referring them to your WLS surgeon. Sometimes they'll listen to something from another doctor when they won't from the patient herself.

jenysez1
on 1/31/13 2:48 am - LA

I did get an email from My gastric bypass doctor luckily before I went to my OB, he suggested not taking it also and doing the testing my blood 4 times a day for 6 days, and so did my high risk doctor, so my OB agreed to that.  I am very relieved 

Linda_S
on 1/31/13 6:18 am - Eugene, OR

Good for you.  Dumping and getting really high then very low blood sugar can be dangerous.  Just testing at home is a lot easier.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Jackie McGee
on 1/31/13 9:36 am - PA

I declined and checked my sugar twice a day throughout the pregnancy instead.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Most Active