Finally a surgery date

sperry18
on 5/23/13 1:26 pm - chicago, IL

I finally have a surgery date for June 18. Now that i received my date, I have became nervous. I tend to turn to you tube for positive enforcement or just to hear about others journey instead i came across these horrific stories. I do know that everyone experience is different but oh my god all most every other story starts off positive then ends up scary. I have to stay off you tube but i did find out that there are so any people that is still consuming soda after wls.

Kris R.
on 5/23/13 2:03 pm - Reynoldsburg, OH

Congratulations!  My only suggestion to you would be to start practicing your post-surgery lifestyle now.  If I had it to do over again, I wish I had:

1. Stopped drinking pop/alcohol

2. Started drinking meal replacement shakes and taking supplements

3. Went through a cleanse to rid my body of toxins

4. Started eating 6 small meals a day

5. Limit my sugar intake

You WILL be successful.  I wish you luck, Kris (6 years out and 1/2 the woman I used to be!).

WannaWeighLess
on 5/24/13 1:45 am - PA

Hi Kris,

I'm working on the "no alcohol" part now. Can you tell me how not stopping the alcohol was an issue for you? Did it make you sick? also, how long after surgery did you wait to have your first drink?

Thanks!

MsBatt
on 5/24/13 5:54 am

Here's the thing about alcohol post-op---some people, especially people with the RNY, find it hits them like a ton of bricks. This means a half-glass of wine may make you falling-down drunk. Also, alcohol's pretty high-calorie---an average shot of liquor has 70 calories, and those calories contain no nutrition. Rapid weight loss stresses the liver, as does processing alcohol. Most surgeons recommend WLS patients wait until they're no longer losing weight to have alcohol, others say 6 months, and yet others say one year. (A few say never, but they're pretty uptight IMNSHO. *grin*)

yochanorfleet
on 5/29/13 9:01 pm - IL
Alcohol isnt my problem, I can stop drinking its the other thing Im addicted to, marijuana, Im a little embarrassed about it, I started using to ease the pain of gout, my RNY is June 10th, I know after surgery the desire will go away. Alcohol I do without, but......I have to stop.
pamela258
on 5/23/13 9:34 pm
with
Congratulations on your surgery date -- Best of luck!

RNY - 8/12/2013

SandieMc49
on 5/23/13 11:34 pm

Wow, how fantastic!  Life will never be the same I'll tell ya.  And I agree, now's the time to set yourself up for success.  Keep positive thoughts and check back here often okay?  We're with you all the way.

angry  Sandie

Member Services
on 5/23/13 11:41 pm - Irvine, CA

CONGRATULATIONS  

Please keep us posted on your journey  

abbyluwho
on 5/23/13 11:47 pm - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

Wishing you the best!  I'm a week after you :)

WannaWeighLess
on 5/24/13 1:47 am - PA

Congratulations on your surgery date! I am pre-op so I can't speak from experience but I'm sure you will be fine. There is plenty of positive reinforcement here. Try not to dwell on the horror stories too much and be sure to ask your dr. if you have any questions or concerns.

Best wishes!

Shanita

Most Active