I can't wait until I can get on a "soft foods" diet after surgery

tommy_rebel
on 7/16/13 5:39 am - Pompano Beach, FL
RNY on 07/23/13
One week pre-op, on a liquid diet: These protein shakes are about to kill me, I've never been a big fan of milk and everything I've tried is awful. I guess I'm losing weight cause i can only stomach two a day, hope that's OK.
Tommy 

"If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic." - Dr. Gregory House

poet_kelly
on 7/16/13 5:48 am - OH

If you don't like milk, you might want to try some of the non-milky protein drinks, like Isopure or Cytomax ready to drink bottles.  They are more like Gatorade.  Or you might like the Unjury chicken soup protein mix.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

grace H.
on 7/16/13 5:51 am - Grove City, OH
How much protein is in the Isopure and Cytomax? I find it hard to stomach the milkier protein drinks also. Do they have the gritty texture and whey taste?

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-4

Ne te quaesiveris extra
do not seek outside yourself

poet_kelly
on 7/16/13 5:55 am - OH

I think both are 40 grams protein in a 20-oz bottle.  You can buy single bottles at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and they come in several different fruity flavors.  I think they taste similar but thought the Cytomax had more of a metallic aftertaste that I really didn't like.  I thought the Isopure had a little bit of a metallic aftertaste but not as much as the Cytomax.  I know some people that prefer Cytomax to Isopure, though, so I suggest trying a couple different flavors of each one to see what you like.

I don't think either of them were gritty at all and I wouldn't say it had a whey taste, it was just a metallic kind of aftertaste I didn't like.  When I first swallowed it, it seemed OK, and then there was this metal taste lingering in my mouth.  Some people really like them, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rj0274
on 7/16/13 6:38 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

I've switched to Vanilla almond milk - it's lower in calories than regular milk and actually tastes surprisingly good when mixed with CVS Chocolate Whey Protein mix.  To increase the protein count, I take half of a vanilla Premier Protein drink (advertised below from Costco) and add the almond milk and a hefty scoop of the protein powder and whiz it in a blender.  It has the consistency of a milkshake and really tastes good while providing about 41 grams of protein.

tbone88
on 7/16/13 6:47 am - MO

I just looked up Isopure on GNC. 5.00 per 20oz bottle. Are you kidding me? I will choke down this power I have.

Toni D.
on 7/16/13 8:33 am - MI
RNY on 04/08/13

I drink Unjury products, they mix easily without a blender and can be mixed with water or whatever you like. My daughter does not like milk and drinks almond milk. Unjury has unflavored protein that goes in any drink without changing the taste. Unjury is sold online. My surgeon sells it too.

JustMeNC
on 7/16/13 10:05 am, edited 7/16/13 10:06 am - NC
my friend swears by the brand pure protein it is a flavorless protein that helps you drink regular liquids such as broth water and crystal light type products as well as get your protein in at the same time without worrying about the milky based protein drinks
CarriMcA
on 7/16/13 11:54 am

Have you tried lactose free milk? It goes down easier in my opinion. I am partial to the Walmart brand giant tub of chocolate peanut butter protein mix. I just bought a giant strawberry mix to switch things up and it tastes horrible. Now I have to fini**** off before I can switch back because I am too cheap. Good luck with your preop diet. 

sonyamarie75
on 7/17/13 11:40 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I like the syntrax nectars. Its juice consistency. You just mix with water. They are running a deal on their website right now. You can get a 12 pack of samples for $12 as the monthly special. So far I have had the sky one, which is like a tart blue raspberry, the fuzzy navel, and the pink grapefruit. They were all very good. 20 G of protein a serving. 100 cal. No carbs. I heard someone on one of the other boards say they mixed theirs with captain Morgan. LOL. 

Anyways, hang in there. I know it has to be tough but it will be worth it in the end!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Most Active