Protein Shots?? and B12

melissa_musicjunkie
on 8/31/13 10:07 am
RNY on 08/01/13

Has anyone tried the protein shots? They're like less than 4oz and 41g of protein. I bought 2 to try because I just feel like hell...presumably because I'm still not getting enough protein.
Also, I just reached 30 days post op today...and feeling like hell...is B12 gonna help me feel better?? I sure hope so....

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

Tracy D.
on 8/31/13 11:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Protein shots - not the best source of protein.  if I remember correctly from when I tried them (and before I knew better) they are mostly collagen ie. crap!  Don't waste your money on them.  Go with 100% whey protein isolate.  

I don't know about the B12 so will be interested to see what others have to say.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

melissa_musicjunkie
on 8/31/13 12:08 pm
RNY on 08/01/13
I'm still pretty new to all the different types of protein. . Glad I only bought 2. Guess ill test them out anyway since I have them...

MsBatt
on 9/6/13 9:44 pm

The best source of protein is animal flesh. (*grin*)

mary0911
on 8/31/13 12:44 pm - TX

I found some whey protein shots on amazon that are 42g of protein that are pretty good! Watermelon doesnt taste bad at all and it was recommended by a few wls patients.

poet_kelly
on 8/31/13 9:51 pm - OH

B12 will help you feel better if the reason you feel like hell is because you have a B12 deficiency.

You shoudl be taking B12 anyway, though.  All RNY should, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  Did you get a sublingual?  You need a sublingual, or else the nasal spray or shots.

As far as those protein shots, most brands are mainly collagen protein, which is a poor source of protein.  The only brand currently on the market that is actually a good source of protein is Yes Whey, from Bariatric Advantage.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 8/31/13 10:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

How much are you drinking?  Feeling like hell is a sure symptom of dehydration.  You should be getting a minimum of 64oz of fluids.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 9/1/13 1:46 am

You feel like hell because you had MAJOR SURGERY only a month ago. As for protein---your body has some stores to tide you over. The reasonable goal is to be consistently getting 30 grams of protein by 30 days post-op, 60 grams by 60 days, et****il you reach the amount of protein YOUR body needs. (This varies, and you won't really know until you start getting some lab work done.)

You do need to be taking B12, either as a sublingual or an injection. Since you had an RNY, your body no longer produces intrinsic factor, needed to allow you to absorb B12 in the normal manner. But again, your body should have some stored B12---the idea is to start supplementing before you use those stores up.

If you're not drinking a minimum of 64 ounces daily, that's probably a big part of your problem. And more is better---I drink a minimum of a GALLON every day.

melissa_musicjunkie
on 9/1/13 7:17 am
RNY on 08/01/13

Thanks, all. 
I tried the protein shot and it was thick and disgusting, so I'm scratching that idea. Boo.
I just reached 31 days today post op, and was trying to wait for my next surgeon follow-up for the B12, but I figured it was probably maybe playing a part in feeling so bad. Started the sublinguals yesterday.
It is very possible that I am not getting enough liquids. My whole issue is that there isn't enough room in my new pouch to fit everything I need. Although I am carrying around water and tea wherever I go. 
So probably a mix of low protein, dehydration and low B12. Yay, me!
I'm sure I'll feel better soon...no negative comments from me...this will all be worth it in the end. :)

southernlady5464
on 9/1/13 8:39 am

This early out, you NEED hydration...food isn't that important yet. So focus on liquids first. Your pouch will heal and eventually you will be able to handle what it needs.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active