Coffee anyone??

KeyMartinez
on 9/24/13 1:21 am

My doctor says that coffee can cause ulcers. I am 2 months out of surgery and I am wondering how long did you wait before having coffee? I miss it!!!!!!

Keysha    

Member Services
on 9/24/13 1:59 am, edited 9/24/13 2:28 am - Irvine, CA

Surgeons have different post-op protocols, some suggest limiting caffeine and others allow it. I'm sure our members will share their experiences, but in the end it's best to follow your own surgeon's recommendations.

poet_kelly
on 9/24/13 5:45 am - OH

You know, it is often best to follow your surgeon's recommendations, but not always.  My surgeon recommended I take calcium carbonate, which according the the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and many other reputable sources, RNY patients do not absorb.  I decided not to follow his recommendation and to take calcium citrate instead, which RNY patients do absorb, because I like having bones.  If your surgeon's recommendations are not based on science or actually go against established guidelines, I think it might well be better not to follow them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eggface
on 9/24/13 2:31 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Some Dr's allow coffee from Day 1, some make you wait a few weeks, some say only decaf, some say never again. It really depends on your Dr's plan and LOL whether he is a sadist or not. j/k

It can irritate our newly messed with parts... so generally most make you wait till at least the healing process is done.

I was cleared for coffee at 1 month and have had it ever since without issue. Fully leaded.

Hope your Dr gives you the green light c[_]  for a cup o' Joe.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 9/24/13 2:48 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I was served coffee the day after RNY in the hospital....

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

JenniPenny
on 9/24/13 2:57 am - MN

I waited until I was a year out and water was a habit- cause I knew when I went back to coffee I'd slack off on the water. I got to where 86-90 ounces of water a day was my norm by one year out so I put coffee back into my daily routine. I drink decaf when I can so I can count it as water but do regular coffee most of the time. (Many cups per day). I had an ulcer years ago, coffee didin't hurt it before and once healed it didn't hurt it after. the ulcer was 07 and I'm still drinking coffee with no side effects. I'd wait until I was completely healed - couple months at the earliest. check with your doc but most of us post ops do well with coffee in moderation.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

KeyMartinez
on 9/24/13 3:42 am

Dr said I could have it. He said to stick with 8 oz. I'm just nervous to drink it if it causes ulcers.

Keysha    

sfnativewm
on 9/24/13 5:29 am

I never went without my coffee!!    My one vice I am not willing to give up!  I was also served coffee after my surgery.   Amazing how all dr's are different.       BY CHOICE I now limit myself to 2 cups full strength coffee per day.       LOL old age makes me stay awake now..........

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

poet_kelly
on 9/24/13 5:43 am - OH

What does he base that on?  According to many reputable sources, coffee is unlikely to cause ulcers.  Most ulcers are actually caused by a bacteria called h.Pylori.  I drink a ton of coffee, usually decaf, but not always.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

swtmelissa
on 9/24/13 6:01 am - West Allis, WI

I have to say, I did develop Reflux after surgery, and its under control. I drink coffee daily (too much) 2-3 cups a day sometimes and I havn't had any problems in 6 years with coffee. Just my experience 

Most Active