^v^v--UPs and DOWNs - 1 Week post-op

LJCopeland
on 11/7/13 1:00 pm - Victoria, TX
VSG on 10/31/13 with

Last night I added a somewhat whiney post to a topic.  I was pretty discouraged.  Today was supposed to be my first day on the full liquid diet, but last night I felt so weak, I decided to have some Atkins Advantage to get protein.  I had probably 2 1/2 oz, and I felt like I'd eaten Thanksgiving dinner.  You know how that full feeling gives you so much regret?  So I went to bed somewhat dehydrated because I was afraid to drink more water since I still felt incredibly full.  I always keep a bottle of water by the bed at night, though, and by morning I had finished a 20 oz bottle of water.  Why is it that the water goes down so more easier while I'm laying down?

Today - day 7 I woke up feeling so much better and I was able to down my first 20 oz bottle by 11.  I'm sure having some protein the night before helped.  However, at 11 am I decided to try some more Atkins.  This time, only 1 oz to start.  I waited 2 hours and had another oz.  By 6 pm, I had managed to drink about 5 oz of Atkins, but only 40 oz of water.  I was feeling the Thanksgiving dinner full again.  Never nauseated, but too full.  Now I can't seem to get any more water in.

Anyone else experience this?  I'm afraid I won't ever feel comfortable enough to drink enough water.

VSG 10/31/2013 Starting weight 253, Surgery weight 247.5, Current Weight 103.6 (2/16/14).  Had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela

Mary Catherine
on 11/7/13 6:56 pm

Don't know what your program calls for, but at seven days out, I was trying for an ounce of fluid about every fifteen minutes.  They sent me home with one ounce medicine cups.  I would make an 8 ounce shake a day and the rest was water or clear broth. 

You just had major surgery and your new pouch is about the size of grape or small egg.  It fills up pretty easily and is swollen so staying full a long time.  I found that every day I could drink more without discomfort.  It is great that you are taking your water to bed.  I learned to do that after waking up really dehydrated one night. 

The important thing now is to keep from being dehydrated and it seems you have that under control.  You don't have to drink protein until you feel overfull.  Great job on getting the water in. 

Just relax a bit with the protein shakes for now.  My routine was an ounce of protein at the top of the hour and then three ounces of water or broth spread out over the rest of the hour.  About one ounce of fluid every fifteen minutes while awake.  When I finished the eight ounces of protein shake, it was jus****er or broth for the rest of the day. 

Measuring was the only way I stayed comfortable during my two week liquid stage.  I had stocked up on lots of cans of broth and found out that one can would last for about a week.  Your little pouch will heal and grow.  Someday you will look back a bit longingly to these days when it was so easy to feel full on so little.

debramontoya
on 11/8/13 2:55 am, edited 11/8/13 2:55 am
RNY on 10/28/13

I am 11 days out and also had an hiatal hernia repaired.  There is more swelling with it.  I had a hard time swallowing and my dr said warm drinks work better.  Warm tea, broth but I also had good luck with sf Popsicles.  I have to sit up to drink, wish I could drink laying down. Used to be able to :)

Each day gets better.

My NUT also said to measure because there is no feeling yet. I know all amounts are different but mine is 1/4 cup.  I have to measure because eyeballing it doesn't work for me.  My eyes are bigger than my new stomach ;).

LJCopeland
on 11/8/13 4:52 am - Victoria, TX
VSG on 10/31/13 with

Thanks for the encouragement!  enlightened

VSG 10/31/2013 Starting weight 253, Surgery weight 247.5, Current Weight 103.6 (2/16/14).  Had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela

Most Active