Am i losing slowly, or is this normal?

FourMyBoysandMe
on 11/22/13 12:24 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Hi everyone, I had RNY done on November 5th, so as of today I am 17 days out. I lost 14 of the regain pounds from after surgery, and 5.5 pounds of real weight. I don't really see the 14 pounds as being real weight I lost, since it was basically fluid the surgeon had put in me...plus I had already lost that weight on my preop diet. So in just over two weeks, I'm only down 5.5 pounds? I thought that after RNY people lost double digits every week? Just feeling a little discouraged this morning. I lost faster on the preop diet, and I was getting to eat REAL food. For subsisting on protein shakes, water, and the occasional cup of clear broth, I feel like the pounds should be just falling off. Can anyone tell me is this typical? I just keep wondering why on earth I went through major surgery and rerouted my intestines, if I'm going to lose at a snail's pace? Thanks ahead of time.

HW=296

SW=256

CW=177.4

GW=156

(Lost 40 pounds preop) M1: -13  M2: -15.4  M3: -11.4  M4: 11.4  M5:

DoryAnne2
on 11/22/13 12:39 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Sometime the weight loss starts more slowly, but it builds up over time.  I haven't heard of anyone losing double digits every week on a regular basis.  I'm almost 8 months out and 90 pounds down...which I'm very happy with...but it only averages a little over 2-1/2 pounds a week.  But consistently it adds up.  My advice is what I tried to do - just eat the way they told me to do and leave how quickly the weight loss comes and what you'll eventually look like in God's hands.  Good luck.

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

FourMyBoysandMe
on 11/22/13 12:42 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Thank you. I started wondering if I am going lose weight at the average rate I would if I had ever been able to stick to a diet long-term. :) I will focus on changing my mental behaviors in regards to food, and leaving it in God's Hands, as you said. Congratulations to you on losing 90 pounds! That's awesome!

DoryAnne2
on 11/22/13 12:46 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I kind of felt the same way in the beginning....that the weight loss was something I could do with a strict diet.  BUT...if you're like me, you could never stay on the strict diet and you'd quickly regain whatever weight you lost.  This is a decent loss every week...barring plateaus.  I didn't weigh myself too often in the beginning...only every other week.  I wanted to see a fairly substantial drop when I got on the scale...and I also didn't want to become dependent on seeing a weight loss to motivate me, since we don't lose at all in maintenance and just need to eat the right way to be healthy, not to lose weight.

Good luck.  All of a sudden you'll be several months out, down quite a bit, and feeling wonderful!!!

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

FourMyBoysandMe
on 11/22/13 1:28 am
RNY on 11/05/13

GREAT advice! Thank you!

cajungirl
on 11/22/13 4:54 am

Average weight loss with RNY is 3-5 lbs per week.  Yes you need to count the 14 lbs you had of fluid, your body has to get rid of that also (as it relates to how much you've lost in 17 days).  You also lost BEFORE surgery and that too will impact how quickly you lose initially after.  Basically in 17 days you've lost 19.5 lbs so a lb plus per day.  Keep doing what you are doing....the weight will come off.  And, if the scale is making you crazy and discouraged stay off for a couple of weeks and either weigh when you see your surgeon on only certain times of the month.  Some people have mentioned not even owning a scale.....I on the other hand would have gone crazy not having one. 

I do weigh often, still do but it doesn't impact me emotionally I use it as another tool on how I plan my eating and if I'm going to eat a treat or a white carb or just protein and veggies.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

daisy142
on 11/22/13 9:08 am - TX

Hey there, I had my RNY a couple days after you - Nov. 7th.  When I went for my check up on Tuesday, I had only lost 4 lbs.  I freaked as well and was kinda bummed. My surgeon was not worried one bit and neither was my dietician. I post a thread about this and got some really good thoughts and encouragement. Each one of us are different and our weight loss will be different. Our bodies have to recover from surgery and that can take some time.  Trust your surgeon, dietician and their plan and follow it to a T.

When I was in the waiting room at the surgeons office, there were 2 ladies there, one was 3 years out from RNY and the other was 1 year out from RNY.  We started talking and they both agreed that the first 4 months were the hardest part for them, trying to learn the new cues from their new pouch, hunger, full, etc.  and trying to figure out what worked for them as far at eating off the plan.  

You can do this and remember, don't compare yourself to everyone else.  Your body will do the work at its own pace!!  You are doing awesome!!! 

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

Mark W.
on 11/23/13 4:47 am - belle plaine, MN

Hi :) I had my surgery on 09/09 of this year and thought like you I would wake up each day and see the weight falling off. I have read SO many stories online of people who have lost 100 pounds in a few months. Actually my soon to be ex-wife had RNY too and she lost all of her weight in 6 months. I felt discouraged and defeated in so many ways only losing 33 pounds since my surgery. Gosh, where are all these pounds that were supposed to be falling off? I realize however that I lost a boatload of weight prior to surgery and since Jan 2nd of this year am down 108 pounds. This is a journey not a speed race. Meaning I have learned to be happy and love where I am today. I stay true to the diet and workout 5 days a week. My body and yours will respond accordingly in time. Just hang in there. When you have more weight to lose than perhaps others, it takes more weight to come off to really see it. I'll tell you sometimes it doesn't feel like I've lost anything and then my pants are too big! Take measurements as I've learned measurements are the truth as to how well you're doing. each month I take my measurements and since that Sept day, I've lost over 25 inches! Hang in there, you have a lot of people that believe in you and support you. We all know you can and will do this!

FourMyBoysandMe
on 11/23/13 10:45 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Thank you!! That's so encouraging to hear!! You are right, I have had a similar experience...I lost 40 pounds preop, so total I am down almost 50 pounds from my highest weight ever now, which feels really good. And even though the weight doesn't seem to be disappearing as fast as I'd like, yesterday I put on a pair of pants that are 2 sizes smaller than the pants I wore to have surgery, so that was exciting. :) I will stay focused like you said. I've been working out every day, and just want this to become my lifestyle.

DiVathick2thin89
on 11/24/13 12:18 pm - NC
Thnx for posting I'm in the same boat. I had rny on 11/13 and I lost 16 lbs since ...15 of which was in the first week post op. So I got on the scale today and noticed only a difference of 1lb. So I'm glad to hear its normal! :)

I have zero tolerance for slander/racial derogatory and/or judgments. 

5'4 / HW: 368 / SW: 333 / CW: 317 / GW:170 

Most Active