Preop sickness??

Darianna75
on 2/3/14 2:20 am
VSG on 02/21/14

I have been on the preop diet for a little over two weeks now. My diet is 3 shakes per day and one meal consisting of 4oz meat and 1/2cup veggies or a lean cuisine/smart one. I have been non stop starving but my problem is that after I'm done eating my "real" meal I am then sick for the rest of the night!! Nausea and bloating and burping and generally feeling way over full..even when it's a tiny lean cuisine. It's really making me want to not eat at all but I'm just so hungry!!  Has anyone experienced anything similar?? Is my stomach just used to shakes?  It's awful :( last night I ate a larger then I should have portion(horrible at eyeing 4oz) and I'm still sick now at 1pm the next day ... Yikes!!!

AnneGG
on 2/3/14 5:47 am

Maybe you should check with your doctor?

I only had the nausea after surgery.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

SkinnyScientist
on 2/3/14 10:26 pm

HI!  I totally had nausea when it was clear liquids only prior to surgery. A pounding headache and then I threw up later in the day.

Sometimes, people experience GI distress when they change up their diet. If you were doing nothing but shakes before and are now eating something different (I.e. meat and veggies) that could be the cause.

Eat slow, small (like really tiny small bite), chew your food to applesauce consistency.

Small bites and small swallows are the key.

If you are doing acidity things (like soda or coffee) try not taking those either.

If it doesnt resolve in 3 more days, I would see the doc.

Good luck

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

PetHairMagnet
on 2/5/14 2:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM Pacific Time, Darianna75 wrote:

I have been on the preop diet for a little over two weeks now. My diet is 3 shakes per day and one meal consisting of 4oz meat and 1/2cup veggies or a lean cuisine/smart one. I have been non stop starving but my problem is that after I'm done eating my "real" meal I am then sick for the rest of the night!! Nausea and bloating and burping and generally feeling way over full..even when it's a tiny lean cuisine. It's really making me want to not eat at all but I'm just so hungry!!  Has anyone experienced anything similar?? Is my stomach just used to shakes?  It's awful :( last night I ate a larger then I should have portion(horrible at eyeing 4oz) and I'm still sick now at 1pm the next day ... Yikes!!!

Here is a good opportunity to not try and 'eye' anything. MEASURE AND WEIGH!!

I was not allowed any solid food in my 22 days of pre-op diet so I did not have the experience of the solid at the end of the day with the liquid. Is there a reason you have to have solids? I'd just go to flat out liquid, personally. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active