Advise pre-op & post

sandy80
on 2/19/14 9:55 am

I've been determined to have surgery but things keep coming up to put it off. Family says it's too dangerous and NO. Talked w/a stranger today that did it years ago and said she regrets it. Has trouble eating & taking pills etc. I'm aware to succeed I will have to follow the plan to a T. No problem, I could care less about eating and get upset when I'm hungry but, I'm a picky eater. I plan veggi's mostly. Still have to attend the food class & see the shrink. What do they put you though that takes 4 hours? I packed on weight from different med's though the years, off them now. Have 2 chronic illnesses so I'm super weak. Plan to join a fitness club after recovery to try to build my strength back up. Not that I've ever had much. I'd like to hear the bare bones about what you do to prepare for surgery & when does that start? and the real challenges as far as vitamin's, eating etc. I see some lose way more than others, figure that has to do w/what you put into it. Not sure. Is there anyone that has had the surgery and regrets it? and if so why? When I tell someone I plan this they always ask, you qualify for that? yeah. 233+ and not quite 5'4 anymore. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

mkvand
on 2/19/14 5:48 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

The pre-op requirements vary dramatically depending on your insurance and surgeon, as do the post op rules.  It also makes a difference which surgery you have.  I was self-pay and have the sleeve, so I had to send my information and a deposit to a surgeon in Mexico, then follow a pre-op diet for two weeks to shrink my liver.  No psych eval, nutrition appts, etc.  Post op I went through the phases of clear liquids, full liquids, soft foods, and then regular foods.  Because of how small my stomach is, partly due to swelling because I'm less than two months out, I have trouble getting in enough fluids and food.  It's getting better as the swelling goes down, and most people a few months out have no issues.  I had no nausea, little pain, and was able to get enough liquids to not need IV fluids. 

How much you lose absolutely depends on how well you follow the program.  There are people trying to eat pizza two weeks out, and others who don't touch a refined carb until maintenance.  Also, I'd start doing some basic exercises now.  It will help you maintain muscle mass while you're losing weight. 

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

sor09
on 2/19/14 6:58 pm

First, maybe your family is worried that you are not healthy enough for surgery. By reading what you wrote, your overall health is not there yet. Surgery is major and being healthy before is part of it too. Also reads like you are just starting the education process. Get all the information possible before hand, since you will need it for the rest of your life. If you are super weak, check with your doctor so your health will get better for the stress physically and mental at surgery and afterwards. You need to be truly honest about how you got to where you are at and understand what the surgery can and cannot do for you. Each person that is going through and has gone through this type of journey is unique, so comparisons honestly do not work. Get the facts and data and less on fear and beliefs, since it sound like your family is highly emotionally concerned for your well being. Education is vital. If you read all the blog messaging at this site, it will start your understanding. There are other sites, libraries, V-logs and such to get more understanding about weight loss surgery types and how other individuals worked through it just to use for guide lines. It will take mentality, physicality, self-honesty, correct nutrition, exercise, and knowledge for successful outcome. They are all connected for WLS success. As far as my personal journey, Y-T-D no regrets.

TexasTerritory
on 2/19/14 7:16 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I told only my close family about my VSG and they were supportive. I haven't told anyone else because my decision and journey is private. I don't need anyone's approval regarding my health issues.

I am 5'1" and weighed 215. I am a lightweight who gained weight by overheating with poor food choices. I take several meds that may or may not have contributed to weight gain. I do know my old food choices were key to weight gain.

I have no regrets about weight loss surgery. I follow my plan to the letter and love my new normal. My health has improved physically and mentally. It is a great process. Good luck to you.

lara86
on 2/19/14 10:09 pm - Canada

I just had my surgery 1 week ago mine was rny. I had many health prep lens and was on lots of different meds but once I was out of hospital I was told to stop all my meds and just continue taking my multi vitamins. I've lost 10lbs this week. I did the optifast diet 2 weeks pre op and lost 15lbs and I'm doing very well. No pain I'm able to get around and do some light walking. I start on full fluids tomorrow. My insurance covered my surgery and I feel amazing so far. Haven't had any issues drinking or keeping down anything. And I only told my closest family members and my best friend about my decision. Maybe you should have another talk with your doctor and discuss all your options. Good luck with everything!!

MsBatt
on 2/20/14 6:38 am

'Family says no'??? I assume you're an adult, right? This is YOUR decision, no one else's.

What are your chronic illnesses? Can you expect weight loss to improve them? Which form of WLS have you chosen?

White Dove
on 2/20/14 5:48 pm, edited 2/20/14 5:54 pm - Warren, OH

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at 40.  For years, I simply ate correctly and exercised and kept my blood sugar under control.  One day my readings went up and stayed up and the doctor said it was time to add medicines.  The first prescription added about seven pounds.  Later other medicines added more weight.   At 50, I was up to 176 pounds, having been 160 when first diagnosed.  Heavy for 5'2" but not heavy enough to qualify for insurance to pay for RNY surgery.

I chose insulin instead and that packed on thirty more pounds over about seven years.  I finally decided on the surgery when I was 59.  While I did blame medicine for my weight gain, I was amazed at how little I eat after surgery and can remember enjoying a big plate of spaghetti, meatballs, salad, Italian bread and butter and chocolate cake at one sitting.  Now a meatball and a very small salad fills me up.

White I blamed medicine I know now that it was the food that made me fat.  Preparing for surgery for me involved a psychologist, heart testing, a scope exam of my stomach, treatment for H Pylori, three months of supervised diet, document exercise program and some classes on what to expect after surgery.  One of the most important was a class on emotional issues with family after the surgery.  I came through the testing knowing that everything other than the pancreas was healthy and in good working order.

I came through the surgery without issues and no longer have to deal with hunger.  When I eat a very small amount of food that gets me full and keeps me satisfied.  I do monitor my weight every morning and keep focused on maintaining.  I think it is torture to try to diet with a stomach the size of a two liter bottle of soda, and so much easier with a stomach the size of a small egg. 

At 59 I was overweight, tired, out of shape and miserable.  At 65 I am trim, fit, happy and healthy.  My surgery was a second chance at for me.  I am grateful for it and do my part to keep feeling great.  I have had no complications, no problems takings pills, no vitamin deficiencies, and find eating to be simple and easy.  Life is full of risks.  When you cross the road, you could get hit by a speeding car.  The risk is reduced if you look both ways first. I took the risks, but also take the precautions.  It has worked well for me.  I would never want to be back to being tired, sick and overweight.

christinamudd
on 2/22/14 2:22 pm

Well one amazing health benefit to the bypass is no more type 2 diabetes!  Or an 80% reduction rate form everything I've read which means NO MORE PILLS YAY!

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/22/14 2:45 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

In the end, it's your body and your decision. If your family is concerned, perhaps you can give them more information and address their fears, but it's ultimately your call.

If you are planning on mostly veggies, it's definitely possible to have a veg*n diet post-op, but be aware that you will need 60-80g protein per day, so you'll need to find protein sources that you like. Most people end up drinking a lot of liquid protein (shakes, broth with protein powder, etc.) for quite a bit after surgery as the stomach heals up, so you get to tolerate things you may not like quite quickly.

As far as prep goes, you'll need to speak to your insurance company and surgeon. My situation required a 2-month supervised diet with my PCP and a nutritionist, a sleep apnea test and cardiology clearance (I'd already done those a year prior, actually), a psychological eval and clearance letter because of my bipolar, and a whole mess of paperwork including height and weight records for 5 years back documenting my BMI. My group info session with the surgeon was in August, and my surgery was in December, though I went from insurance approval to surgery quite quickly because it was near Christmas and I hoped to get it done before year-end.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sandy80
on 2/23/14 4:19 am

Only a couple of cousins say flat out no, dangerous. One knows another that regrets it, wants to eat. One knows another that is all bones and near death. Figure they just weren't committed to the eating plan. I am. All I have to do is see the shrink the end of March for 4, count'em 4 long hours. What do they put you though? That's the hardest part for me. The food class and that's it. Yours put you though a major mess. Medications packed it on & not being at all active anymore. My insurance provides free gym membership so I plan that. It will be a very slow start because I'm so weak. This is my last chance at a normal life. When you get so big you don't want to leave the house, that's a problem. No life. People think I don't even qualify, but I say when your stomach enters the room before you, it's a problem. Just trying to learn ahead of time about the pre op diet, expense. Which protein drinks are best and how expensive. Things like that. On disability so I have to prepare in advance. Watched tons of video's of people documenting their before, post op and on going life w/this surgery. Some are in a lot of pain for awhile. Sure hope not. If I can handle being cut open from one end to the other I can handle this. The med. university already checked my insurance. Which I had a 2nd one but don't. I did take out a life policy several months ago, as 1 in 200 don't make it. Just in case. Not worried.

Most Active