1 wk post op..few questions

DelilahJO
on 5/28/14 10:53 am

So I had my sleeve done a week ago. I am doing quite well I think. My question is next week when I can start puréed foods then soft etc i know in my classes they said post op meals should have 10g or less of fat/carbs. I don't know if that is once u get to regular foods or during these phases as well? Or if the main objective is just to get ur fluid and protein requirement? Or try to get them while not going over that many carbs/fats? They also said to walk once an hour for 3-5 min i feel that I can walk more than that but idk if i should refrain so I'm not burning too many calories while I'm barely getting any on this liquid diet anyway? 

poet_kelly
on 5/28/14 11:11 am - OH

If you have questions about your meal plan, please call your dietician or surgeon.  We don't know what their plan is or their recommendations for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

skyhigh315
on 5/28/14 3:21 pm

So, Kelly, what may she ask about here without the "go ask someone else" response?  I'm new to this forum and hope I don't get that kind of 'help' every time I post a question....

Cunning_Pam
on 5/28/14 3:46 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Kelly's answer was exactly correct. The problem is that every surgeon seems to have their own version of a post-op eating plan, and it would be irresponsible and dangerous for anyone other than the OP's surgeon or one of the office staff to answer that question. We can't guess what she might be allowed to eat at this point; our experiences in what we're allowed by our surgeons to eat could be very different from the OPs.

I promise you, if you ask sincere questions here, you will get help. Real help. And this is the best help that the OP could have received for this question.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

poet_kelly
on 5/28/14 9:18 pm - OH

If she asks a question someone here knows the answer to, she'll get an answer.  But we have no way of knowing what her surgeon's meal plan is.  Should I just  make something up?  Some information needs to come from her surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hollykim
on 5/28/14 11:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM Pacific Time, skyhigh315 wrote:

So, Kelly, what may she ask about here without the "go ask someone else" response?  I'm new to this forum and hope I don't get that kind of 'help' every time I post a question....

she "may" ask anything she likes,she just might get the ask your surgeon answer,depending on what the question is. Every surgeon,even surgeons in the same practice have very different plans sometimes.

the posters here can answer questions through our personal experience,but unless someone has the exact same surgeon that the op has,there is no way we can know her plan.

if you are around more than 4 days,you will quickly see what i mean.

GL

skyhigh315
on 5/29/14 7:55 am

'If I'm around more than 4 days.'  Lovely, GL.  Maybe my own comments or questions (or experiences/challenges with this journey) will be more legitimate after it's been more time.  Thanks but no thanks on the tribal attitude.

Not everyone on here is medically trained, but few of us are just plain stupid.  Clearly, if Kelly makes it perfectly clear in her sig line that she's no physician, maybe the poster can divine useful, helpful or encouraging information from other members' own experiences.  I think that can be handled without the cliquey "we" answers or the 'don't ask us' replies.  If I ever ask a question you feel unqualified to answer (whether it's on my 5th day or my 5000th), please just decline to comment rather than commenting with a non-response.

hollykim
on 5/29/14 8:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM Pacific Time, skyhigh315 wrote:

'If I'm around more than 4 days.'  Lovely, GL.  Maybe my own comments or questions (or experiences/challenges with this journey) will be more legitimate after it's been more time.  Thanks but no thanks on the tribal attitude.

Not everyone on here is medically trained, but few of us are just plain stupid.  Clearly, if Kelly makes it perfectly clear in her sig line that she's no physician, maybe the poster can divine useful, helpful or encouraging information from other members' own experiences.  I think that can be handled without the cliquey "we" answers or the 'don't ask us' replies.  If I ever ask a question you feel unqualified to answer (whether it's on my 5th day or my 5000th), please just decline to comment rather than commenting with a non-response.

yes,if you are around more than 4 days. If you stay around a while and read posts regularly,you will know exactly what I am talking about.

and "decline to comment" ...I know you didn't just tell me what I may or may not post on an open forum,right?

skyhigh315
on 5/29/14 8:29 am

No, of course not.  I did, however, suggest that if you're replying TO ME, that I'd much rather get no reply than one akin to "don't ask me, go ask your doctor" which, frankly, isn't helpful.   I thought the point of forums like these is for people to share their experiences (and anxieties, ideas, fears, concerns, joys, etc) with other people in similar life situations.  Don't assume I haven't asked my physician something just because I'm asking fellow VSGers too.  Maybe I just want to know how something went for someone else or how someone else dealt with something or interpreted information.

hollykim
on 5/29/14 8:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

that is certainly the point of forums like these. The fact of the matter is.just because it seems to you than an answer is a Non answer,doesn't mean it IS a non answer. Sometimes ask your doctorIS the only correct answer. It doesn't help ppl to know what my surgeons plan is unless they re ALSO using my surgeon,see?

when you post in a public forum ANYONE can post a reply,without your permission and you have no control over what they post. When you post on a public forum your post then belongs to the owner of the forum and you have no control over it except to delete it.

so don't be surprised or offended when you get all kind of answers to anything you may post.  

I have been on is forum,daily,for  over five years. Kelly has been here even longer. We have seen and read a lot. More than once. 

Most Active