Need help on best way to shrink my Pouch

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/8/14 4:45 am - Anchorage, AK

Hi y'all. Any advise/tips on the best way to shrink my pouch? Can I ever get it back to the size right after surgery? I had RNY 5 years ago. Thanks :-)

Karen M.
on 6/8/14 5:28 am - Mississauga, Canada

Aside from a surgery "re-do" I can't think of a way to physically decrease the size of your pouch. If "getting back on track" is your goal, I've done the Five Day Pouch Test, which claims to shrink it (no, it doesn't lol) but it's a good way to kick carbs to the curb for a few days. http://5daypouchtest.com/

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/8/14 9:30 am - Anchorage, AK

Thanks Karen. I've heard of the 5 day pouch test, I guess I could try that to get back on track at least.  Thanks again.

Karen M.
on 6/8/14 9:32 am - Mississauga, Canada

Do that. Give yourself every chance.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/14 12:13 pm - OH

All that is going to do is reinforce the old diet-deprivation-regain cycle that kept us all obese for years.  It is just a fad diet for RNYers.  It doesn't shrink your pouch.  It doesn't, in fact, do anything that going back to small portions of primarily protein will do (especially in terms of eliminating carb cravings). Going back to basics will at least reinforce the new healthy eating habits instead of reinforcing fad diets.

Most importantly, if you are complaining of feeling hunger too often now, the LAST thing you need is to go back to all liquids!  That is going to make things even worse since the protein shakes and other liquids go straight through your pouch very quickly!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 6/8/14 6:19 am

Right after surgery it was swollen. It won't ever be like that again, unless you have more surgery.

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/8/14 9:32 am - Anchorage, AK

Thanks, I need to readjust my meals I think.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/14 7:40 am - OH

There is no way to shrink your pouch (other than having surgery).  What makes you think it's not the right size now?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/8/14 9:31 am - Anchorage, AK

Just that I'm hungry more often.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/14 9:33 am - OH

That could be due to a number of things.  I'd talk to your surgeon about having an endoscopy to see if your pouch is too large.  But also, I'd look at what you eat and how often.  Eating a lot of carbs can make you feel hungry.  Eating small meals with dense protein and a little bit of fat frequently can keep you feeling more satisfied.  So can adding fiber to your diet.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active