Self Pay isn't so bad

annarohr
on 7/19/14 10:45 pm

I self paid for a VSG in 2009 for $16,500 with dr. Metz in Denver.  VSG didn't work for me or I didn't work for VSG, either way, I chose the wrong surgery for the long haul.  I had about 2 years of living a "thin" life, as I went from size 24 to 12.  But, alas, regain happened and I am now a size 18.  Anyways, I will be revising to DS, maybe that includes a resleeve or tightening of my original sleeve, not sure yet.  But, my apt is Aug 21 with Dr. Ungson in Mexico.  It will cost me as a self pay between $9,000-$14,000 depending on the state of my original sleeve.  The higher price is if it is considered a "revision" or not.  The lower price is what they charge for people who are doing the DS for the first time.  A VSG with Dr. Ungson is about $6,000 (I wish I had done that and saved the money but wanted to stay in the US, ugh, hindsight is always 20/20). Bypass is about $11,000. 

I remember those 2 years of being "thin".  Best years ever.  Best health ever.  Best years for all the people around me day in and day out.  Just to have that time to see what it was like to be able to participate in charity walks, I had joined a yoga class, I shopped in normal size sections of the store.  I went to events instead of making excuses to avoid them.  I no longer fretted about people with their damn cameras.  I had so much energy.    I had a great time playing with my kids.  And, to me, that money was well spent.  I hope it is money well spent again.  I put it into perspective.  In 2008, I spent $27,800 buying a new Chevy from the dealership, in 2001, I paid $21,000 for a Hyundai Santa Fe, why would I be less important than a stupid car???? 

I just get sad when I read posts about folks who put this on the back burner because insurance said they won't pay for it.  My insurance said that, they still do.  It is not even debatable with them, so I found other ways.   I am not rich, not even wealthy, so coming up with a huge chunk of change is not easy.  In 2009, both me and my husband worked 2 jobs and put every penny away for the surgery until we had enough.  I sold some items and put that money away, we didn't go on vacation, we went to the dollar movies instead of the regular movies, shopping stopped and that money was saved, we ate at home and no dinners out, date night became game night.  Where there's a will there's a way..  This time around, I took out a loan on my house equity.  Not what I wanted to do but I also don't want to spend the next year or more saving again.  Anyways, self pay is hard, it is a lot of money that we don't have.  BUT, on the flip side of that, in the long run, paying out of pocket will be cheaper than diabetes, heart disease, cancer, loss of employment, and ultimately an early funeral.  I work for my money, as we all do.  What good will that 401k money do if I die young because I didn't address my weight issues earlier?  Why do I have a pension if I will die before I reach that age to enjoy it?  Why build up a savings account for home renovations if I won't be able to climb the stairs in this house anyways?  What good is an inheritance if you die first? It's all about perspective.  If we look and are willing to do it, we can self pay, there are ways to do it.  The insurance companies that deny WLS have their reasons I am sure, none of which have our best interests at heart.  But, just because they say "no" doesn't mean you can't tell yourself "yes". 

Anyways, I hope that anyone out there that is struggling in the insurance mazes thinks about self pay and doesn't give up the dreams of WLS and reclaiming your health and life back because of an insurance representative on the phone says it isn't covered.  You can take matters into your own hands.  There are a thousand reasons not to do it, bills to pay, college to save for, vacation coming up.  I know..  I have paid for this twice now.  But, there is only ONE you, you are not replaceable, you are valuable, you are the only you that your family gets.  If they say no, find a way to make it a yes.   

White Dove
on 7/20/14 3:46 am - Warren, OH

What a wonderful post.  Your attitude makes so much sense.  Money is just something that we exchange for the things that we want and need.  I spend on my health even if it means cutting back on savings.  My mother's mother died at 62 after losing both legs to diabetes, spending long periods of time in a nursing home, attempting suicide with pills and finally having a heart attack.  My father's mother was blind from diabetes.

I will spend money to stay healthy and be thankful that there are doctors that have the ability to help me do that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Miss150
on 7/20/14 5:44 am

bless your heart, sweetie-pie! 

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

larra
on 7/20/14 4:13 am - bay area, CA

Awesome post! I especially like the attitude that just because someone tells you no doesn't mean you can't tell yourself yes.

I'm so glad that you and your husband have your priorities in order and were willing to work so hard for what you want and need. With that determination, I'm sure you'll do great with your DS.

Larra

Noragretz
on 7/20/14 4:52 am, edited 7/20/14 4:53 am
VSG on 09/05/14

You are so right! You have to put it all into perspective. I am self paying too, and I wouldn't hesitate to take out a loan for 25-35K for a new car. So what is the big deal for me to keep the car I have for a few more years and put down $16K on a smaller stomach for my own health. (10K for surgery, extra for just in case) Yes I could go out of the states like you said, hindsight is 20/20. But being a single parent, with no other parent to my children, I just can't bring myself to take that kind of risk. I have no family to take care of them either.  I'll pay the extra $$ for the security of staying in the USA.  However, if I were older and my children were older, or they had a dad, I would probably go to Mexico too.  Its just what i am comfortable with, and that is what is important.   I keep telling myself I'm buying a cheap car... that's all. I'm planning to pay it off in 3 years. 

Good Post!

Hislady
on 7/20/14 5:14 am - Vancouver, WA

Not trying to be nasty but your reality is rather short-sighted for many people to live. I would venture to guess that the majority of people aren't able to have both spouses work 2 jobs especially when you have children. Also many people only make minimum wage. that barely covers the basics in life. Not all companies have 401Ks or other perks.

It is great that you and others are able to do this and I applaud you for making this a priority in your life but it makes others feel ashamed for not being able to do so and that isn't right either. Some of us look farther out to the unknown and unexpected such as who will pay that loan off if you and your husband are both severely injured in an auto accident or develope an unexpected health crisis? How will you pay for this loan when that happens and trust me the loan collectors won't care if you are ill or disabled. Saving up is great but then again we get back to those unexpecteds in life. I wish you well on your journey but ask that you have a bit more compassion for others who haven't yet been able to join you.

annarohr
on 7/21/14 4:33 pm, edited 7/21/14 4:53 pm

Well, I agree.  Not everybody CAN self pay.  I am almost 41 years old now, but I wanted surgery back when I was 22 and couldn't pay for it then.  Not a chance in the world, because I worked minimum wage at the mall, so did my husband.  Working for low wages was not acceptable to either of us, so we both went to school, both now have Master's degrees, both have pretty good jobs, not super high paying, but not bad.  It was this same will power back then, the same I have now, that if there is a will, there is a way.  Absolutely.  I remember the tears back then, when I BEGGED my insurance company to pay for it, they said no repeatedly and I went round and round thinking that it was my only option.  That's about when I got pissed and decided that I am the maker of my future and they can go **** up a rope.  I love it when people get it paid for with their insurance, that is awesome, that just isn't and hasn't ever been my reality.  It isn't meant to make anyone feel ashamed for not being able to do it.  But, if a low paying job is what is in the way, then fix it.  Get out of that racket.  Get the schooling or skills that will set you up financially.  Poverty is profound in our country, but it is in my opinion a lifestyle that people choose because they don't break out of it.  I know what poverty is like, I remember it vividly from back when I was that broke 22 year old just dreaming of the day I could get WLS.  Back then,  my life of poverty was my choice because I was just another girl with no real skills or nor real education, and  I worked at a pretzel shop in the mall back then for minimum wage, my husband worked delivering pizzas for minimum wage, we had low quality insurance and I had no 401k.  Our apartment rent took 1 paychecks, daycare took another check, car insurance and electricity took a check and food took the last check, there was no money all the other stuff let alone a WLS and we were always overdrawn on our checking account, it was a way of life.  It sucked. So I fixed it so I didn't live that life anymore.    I went to college for 8 years to give myself skills that not everyone has so I can get paid more.  That is what it takes.  It takes pure determination to break that cycle.    I have a lot of equity because I own my home, that is where this loan is coming from, it is rolled into the mortgage.  Well, if I can't for whatever reason pay the mortgage, I guess the house gets foreclosed and I go rent somewhere.  That would be the case though no matter if I took an equity loan or not, so not worried about that at all.  But, I don't allow myself to live in fear like that, I could die in a car wreck on my way to work, I could fall down the stairs and break my neck, and then again, most likely that won't happen..   Anyways, thank you!  I am looking forward to a new journey, let's see what happens...

Noragretz
on 7/22/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 09/05/14

We surely don't mean to make anyone feel bad. But such is life. You can't go around to all the weightless boards complaining to other people that are able to get surgery when you can't. You can't complain about people getting approved when you get denied. Just the same when people are able to pay, just because you can't. I'm sure all of us in the self-pay group feel quite shorted when others have insurance. Do you know how irritated I get when I see some people say they only had to pay $200? That's not fair!  Well such is life and I have to roll with the punches, deal with what I have been given.  BTW I am a single mother of 2 children. I lived off welfare through my first 5 years of motherhood. Required to participate for at least 40 hours a week, going to school, working minimum wage, and taking care of a baby. Mind you my parents lived in two different states and I had NO help.  I worked hard for where I am today, and have every right to celebrate my accomplishments. Yes I qualified for and got a loan... And sadly I work for an employer that doesn't carry bariatrics on the insurance plan.   I also carry a nice disability plan to cover me in case I need it.  Besides bad credit from inability to pay is not the end of the world and the least of my worries.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/20/14 5:45 am - UK

Your postive attitude is to be applauded. I am very pleased for you that you were able to pay for surgeries and you clearly worked hard for them .  But unfortunately (to alter your words slightly ) just because there is a will, does not mean there is always a way!  For some people, self-pay is not and never can be an option. People who can only just manage financially should think twice before taking out loans and eating into retirement savings. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 7/20/14 9:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I wish there was a "Like" button

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active