Protein Powder Users.....

mtrahan84
on 8/27/14 4:01 am
VSG on 09/02/14

To those of you who are using protein powder......what do you mix with?? Is there an almond milk of some sort that is allowed pre and post op??

Member Services
on 8/27/14 4:05 am - Irvine, CA

Hi mtrahan84,

May we suggest you post this on your surgery type forum for replies from those that had your surgery.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

LAP-BAND Forum

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

AnnyBananny
on 8/27/14 4:10 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I typically mix my protein powders with just plain water. The sweeter flavors sometimes are better with milk, but no milk really sits well with me, so I don't use it. As far as using almond milk - just get unsweetened and you'll probably be good to go.

If you're pre-op I would caution you not to buy too much in anticipation of surgery because most likely your tastes will change, mine did, and I see posts about this all the time. I love Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle pre-op, but post-op it is gross to me, same with the Roadside Lemonade. I do however highly recommend getting some sample packets so you can try different flavors!

Also, like member services mentioned, try posting in your particular type of surgery's board!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Eggface
on 8/27/14 4:20 am, edited 8/27/14 4:21 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I do soy or soy & water or plain water. Liquid cow's milk and I don't get along (cramps and pain.) Some people use Lactaid milk. Almond milk would be fine (a little less protein, but less calories too)... ask your Dr. what he recommends and experiment a bi****ch any added sugars (flavored milks like vanilla usually have some) and that in combo with any in the protein powder can add up.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

jessica1371
on 8/27/14 4:23 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

I'm pre -op my surgery is Friday!! I mix my protein powder with unsweetened Almond milk, less calories. I have used skim or water... depends on the powder flavor. I have a bunch of samples.

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

mtrahan84
on 8/27/14 4:33 am
VSG on 09/02/14

Congrats Jessica!!! Mine is Tuesday!!!! I am so excited!!

CLRodriguez2
on 8/28/14 11:09 am
Revision on 09/02/14

My surgery is tuesday too!

Revision surgery: Lapband removal to RNY - schedule September 2!!!

Tracy D.
on 8/27/14 4:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I started off using skim milk but quickly realized I was using up a lot of my carb allotment for the day.  I switched to unsweetened plain almond milk and love it for my shakes.  Whichever one you buy, make sure it doesn't have any added sugars and is low-to-zero carb (look for "unsweetened" on the carton).  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/27/14 5:27 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The only protein powder that I use soy milk with is the Chike powder, water is ok but it really tasted good with the soy milk, all other protein powders I use water to keep the calorie count down. Chike & soy milk is my only indulgence.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Price S.
on 8/27/14 5:53 am - Mills River, NC

I'm 4 yrs out but I have never used anything bu****er.  I mix warm water with chocolate, vanilla or something like that to use as a creamer for my decaf.  I use water and a stick of generic crystal light in 20oz of water for the fruity protein.  I like Syntrax products, Nectars and Matrix for the chocolate/vanilla/mint cookie.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active