Meeting with the Surgeon for the first time

AntSudd
on 9/15/14 1:29 pm
with

I am meeting with my surgeon for the first time tomorrow.  I am pretty scared about this whole thing but really want to get it done and be healthier.  I am 32 years old and have it all, Type 2 Diabetes, High blood pressure, High cholesterol, lots of swelling in my legs feet and ankles.  I pretty sure I have some kind of heart failure because I have shortness of breath when I lay down and get fluid in my lungs and have to cough it up.  Pretty bad shape but I want to live longer and have a better life.  I want to be able to do the things I did before comfortably.  Currently I weigh anywhere between 380-400lbs and I am 6'1 in height.  Any advice anyone can give me going into this? What should I be looking forward to? 

Member Services
on 9/16/14 4:07 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your health.  You did not mention what procedure you were having.  Try posting on the forum of your surgery type and they can give you some suggestions on FAQ's to ask your surgeon.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

LAP-BAND Forum

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

MsBatt
on 9/16/14 9:40 am

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone---research EVERYTHING. There are four basic forms of WLS---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Each works in a different way, gives somewhat different results, asks different things from you, will require a different post-op 'diet', and impacts certain medical problems differently.

Given that you have diabetes and high cholesterol, I'm also going to strongly recommend you take an in-depth look at the Duodenal Switch. The DS is the most complicated form of WLS (for the surgeon, not the patient!), but it's also the form with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats AND the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. All forms of WLS will probably improve your health, but for your specific problems the DS is the one most likely to get you to and keep you at a healthy weight and a healthy state.

Most Active