Beginning the journey...AGAIN

Msphyl
on 9/16/14 5:20 am

Hello All,

Back in 2002 I had the Lap-band surgery.  I never lost more than 40 pounds (374 my heaviest).  Then in 2011 I relocated to Virginia Beach and started losing weight like crazy!  It was incredible, but the more I lost, the more problems began to arise.  In 2013 I developed terrible pains in my abdomen and it turned out the problem was three fold.  I had a hernia, the port from the lap-band was deeply embedded in my stomach and I had multiple enormous fibroid tumors.  So my surgeons worked together and removed the lap-band, fixed the hernia and performed the hysterectomy.  I recovered beautifully and was ready to continue losing weight.  Well now I have had to relocated BACK to Michigan, I have gained 100 pounds in the last year and am looking at a whole new set of health issues because of the weight. 

Now I am researching the RNY, which I believe is a better procedure anyway.  I don't regret getting rid of the lap-band, it was horrible and the surgeon could never get the adjustment right, so it had virtually no fluid in it for years, but I know that I need help in controlling my intake.  Has anyone heard of the surgery being approved with self-pay insurance?  I have Humana, but can only seem to find information about bariatric approvals from insurance through employer plans.  I have been coming to the site for a while now and enjoy reading everyone's posts, and felt that it was time that I shared and hopefully would be able to some directions on how I should navigate through these waters.

Lata~MsPhyl

Member Services
on 9/16/14 7:10 am - Irvine, CA

Hi MsPhyl,

We are glad you are here   Here are some links to forums we feel will provide you with additional information during your research.

Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) Insurance, Cash Pay and Financing   Please keep us posted on how you are doing!  

Msphyl
on 9/16/14 8:48 pm

Thank you so much. I appreciate any direction you can provide. 

MsPhyl

Most Active