Question about nausea/vomiting

thekatsmeow
on 9/16/14 1:36 pm

Hi, I'm considering the gastric bypass vs the sleeve and my appt is 10/3.  I have an intense fear of feeling nauseated (hatred is more like it) and vomiting. I've never vomited (since I as three) and I'm almost 45.  I've been considering WLS for years but I actually took the step to go to the class and make the first appt this month.  I would like to know ,for those of you who have had surgery, did you have any nausea and/or vomiting and if so, what caused it?  Is it possible to have the surgery and live your life without having those two side effects?  Thanks.  Kat

Valerie G.
on 9/16/14 11:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The biggest cause early post op is dehydration.  Daily goals are 64oz of liquids a day, and many find that very difficult to achieve. Dehydration causes nausea and fatigue, which makes you less likely to want to drink anything.  It becomes a vicious circle.

Another cause could be eating too fast with either procedure. Other than that, it's very rare for those with a sleeve stomach.  For gastric bypass, you may want to study on dumping syndrome, which is present in 30-50 of bypass patients, dpeending on the study you're reading.  Many use this as a deterrant not to eat the wrong foods.  for an unlucky few, its a daily occcurrance with even the right foods, but that's very rare.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 9/17/14 4:19 am

Almost 11 years ago, I had the DS. (That means I have a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass.) In those nearly 11 years, I've vomited on *maybe* six occasions. Each time, I had food poisoning, stomach flu, or, in one case, a bowel obstruction. Immediately post-op, I did have a little nausea, but no biggie.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/17/14 12:58 pm - OH

I had RNY 7 years ago and didn't throw up at all from food until I was almost 18 months out. (I did throw up barium when they tried to get me to drink too much for a scan.)

I VERY rarely throw up.  I chew everything to mush as instructed by my surgeon, and I eat slowly enough and watch my portions closely enough that I am able to avoid it.  (Getting food stuck or eating too much are two of the biggest causes of vomiting post-op).

I was fortunate, though.  Some people have a lot of trouble eating post-op and have nausea frequently, and there is no way to predict how you body will react.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Zawadi
on 9/18/14 12:43 am - NY
RNY on 03/26/12

I had my surgery back in 2012 and for no reason at all i get hit with a vomiting attack. I just had an episode on Sunday, just woke uoe at 3:30am and started vomiting no food ever comes up just flem and some blood. It's so violent that I'm sore for two days from the strain. This comes and goes but smells are what set me off.

Colleen O.
on 9/18/14 2:10 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Hi Kat.  I had the sleeve surgery in April (so I'm a newbie and don't know everything) but my experience so far hasn't been too bad.  I am afraid of vomiting myself.  I would much rather be in pain then vomit.  I was extremely nauseous when waking up from surgery and I did vomit and heave for several hours.  But, it wasn't horrible.  I was still a bit out of it so I could handle it just fine.  I have issues with anesthesia and pain medication so that was my problem immediately post op.  I received three different nausea meds and stopped vomiting.  Since then, I've vomited a couple of times but always from eating too fast or too much.  I have to say, for me, the vomiting from this is a lot different then when I would from the flu.  It's not as violent or troublesome.  Just my experience.

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Jill724
on 9/18/14 3:11 am
RNY on 07/24/14

I just had my RNY on 7/24/2014. I was very scared to vomit also. I had no nausea at all, until I ate and drank at the same time. This is a huge no no to begin with. I had just switched to soft foods and forgot that very important rule. I vomited and I felt so much better. It's very much like a learning curve. Once you learn the ropes than you know what you can and can't do. I hope you find this helpful ;)

NYMom222
on 9/19/14 12:53 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had some nausea the first week after bypass but it didn't cause vomiting. Doc did give me nausea medicine, and I found peppermint tic tacs helped a lot. I'd bite them and then let them dissolve on my tongue-no swallowing. I did spit up/vomit when food got stuck as I was transitioning to regular food. It always got stuck for one of these 3 reasons: food too dry, ate too fast, didn't chew well enough. I am learning and haven't had any more episodes. I was afraid of the barium swallow after surgery but it goes by fast, and it is worth it. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

thekatsmeow
on 9/19/14 1:28 pm

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to respond. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.

Most Active