Lap-band bound

Nic M
on 9/22/14 7:33 am

The Mayo Clinic declines to continue offering Lap Banding because of its "lackluster performance." 

Several operative procedures, including sleeve gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and duodenal switch (also referred to as biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch), are offered at Mayo Clinic, with the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass being the most common (approximately 74 percent of all cases). Given its lackluster long-term performance, the laparoscopic gastric band procedure is no longer being offered at Mayo Clinic. A different type of restrictive procedure, the sleeve gastrectomy, has taken its place. Although long-term outcome data for the sleeve gastrectomy are lacking, early results show considerable promise in terms of weight loss and improvement or remission of weight-related comorbidities.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452  

Nearly half of patients who have laparoscopic gastric banding for obesity eventually need to have the devices removed because of erosion or some other malfunction, researchers say.

Among 82 patients followed for at least 12 years after lap-band surgery at a single institution, 49 had at least one reoperation for complications or device failure, according to Dr. Jacques Himpens, of Saint Pierre University Hospital in Brussels, and colleagues.

From The Advisory Board Company:

The lap band has suffered a substantial decline in procedure volume after controversy over its complication rates and poor weight loss outcomes surfaced. An informal audience poll prior to a debate session on the future of the lap band showed that just over half the bariatric surgeons in the room have discontinued offering the band.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Valerie G.
on 9/22/14 9:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

10 years is the expiration of the LapBand, where you need another surgery for a new one, or roll the dice to see if you can make it on your own.  The manufacturers instructions suggest only keeping it in the body 8-10 years.  Unfortunately, many need it removed the first three years, and statistically, you only lose 50% of your excess weight if you're lucky.  With this procedure, problems and dissappointment seem to be the rule, and not the exception.

The company I used to work for (Siemens) had it excluded as a covered procedure because so many employees had to have emergency surgery because of it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Anne R.
on 9/22/14 8:45 am
VSG on 09/25/14

Congrats on your decision!  I just thought I would share that both my grandmother and I had the lap band a few years ago.  And like most, I began to vomit constantly.  I was basically bulimic for 3 years.  I couldn't sleep because I was choking on saliva (gross, I know).  My grandmother has the same complications.  I finally had my band removed and am scheduled for the gastric sleeve this Thursday.  No rerouting, and nearly as safe as the lap band.  Trust me, I was scared about the cutting too, and that's why I chose the lap band the first time.  I wish I would have went straight for the sleeve, but live and learn.  But that's not to say it doesn't work for everyone!  There are people that have been successful.  I just wanted to share my store because we are finding out now that soooo many are having the same problems.  Good luck in whatever you decide... it's your journey :)

Beth1019
on 9/22/14 11:42 pm - Marlboro, MA

I had a lap band put in in June 2006 - and I have no regrets - other than I wished I had done it sooner and I wish I worked harder with it!  That being said no it isn't perfect, yes it is alot of work - but I wouldn't have lost the weight I needed to loose.  For me the weight loss was slower and I did have one issue that required a minor revision - other than that no problems.

I will admit that I got lazy with it - no new fills and not eatting or exercising correctly - I was gaining weight again..uggg.  So I made up my mind not to waste such a helpful tool - this past March I gave up sweets for Lent and never went back, I bought a FItbit (the best thing ever!!!), got my protien with a combination of Quest Bars (yum) and Ideal Shakes (another yum....) - walk about 4-6 miles a day, 1-2 yoga classes a week and I am now on a nice gradual weight loss.  The band keeps me in track - no bread no soda - and I get full quicker.  So yes it works and yes you have to work with it.  I am about 25 pounds away from my goal.....finally...and thinner than I was in high school.  I can finally see single cloths sizes on the horizon...down to a 10-12 but going for that 8!!

YOu can do this...but know it isn't a easy way out - the band will help you if you work with it - listen to the Dr and go slow.  That's all I can say...I made mistakes and learned from them...good luck to you!!!

rebecca110
on 9/23/14 6:28 am - Milledgeville, GA

Hi Lap band bound,

For about two years, I led a bariatric surgery support group.  Most had the gastric by-pass because that and lap band were about the only options at the time.  I later knew a few people who had the sleeve as well.  Those with the by-pass lost the most weight and seem to be keeping it off better.  This is about 4 years now. At first everyone is loosing  weight rapidly and almost without any effort.  I think during this period you start to take slimness for granted.  You can never do that.  After four years every one has gained back about 10 to 20 pounds and I guess we all fear what you describe.  It is a long hard journey and the surgery is just the beginning.  You have to be dedicated to staying on whatever diet you go with for surgery.  If you are a snacker,  I would not have lap band.  You eat less at meals, but you can snack all day with no problems to speak of and you will start to gain back the weight.  In addition, other problems with the band will develop such as being hungry because you are eating more snacks and less nutritious food.  Even those having the by-pass surgery have to watch their diet carefully to avoid gaining weight.  I salute your decision to have surgery and wish for you the best, but none of the options will lead to long term weight loss and maintenance unless you do the work with the diet designed to go with the particular surgery you choose.  Nutrition has to become your watch word.

gouldsfiya
on 9/26/14 8:32 am, edited 9/26/14 8:35 am

I have had my lapband for over seven years and have kept off 107 pounds. There was no Sleeve in 2007. We have a fabulous support group at Weight Wise in Edmond and welcome patients from all clinics. I would encourage you to speak with lots of people, including your doctor, prior to surgery. Good luck with whatever surgery you have. I love my new body and life.

NYMom222
on 9/26/14 5:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Good Luck whatever you chose. I just had the RNY. When I went to my doctor he said he would not recommend the band at this point. He said of the people who get the band 1/3 are very successful, 1/3 lose a little weight but aren't really satisfied with their weight loss, and 1/3 lose nothing. Not great statistics. I do know a few people who have done very well... but would they have made the same decision now knowing the statistics and the higher chance of complications that have become evident over the years? I don't know. Even though your insides  get rearranged with the other surgeries, you body can heal and adjust to the new normal. It will never totally heal with a foreign object in it. If you haven't met with the Doctor yet he may have his own recommendations. Stay open minded to what he has to say. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active