Had GBP but I'm gaining weight back

cld1218
on 9/22/14 3:14 am

I am now 4 years post op (gastric bypass) and I've gained back 35 lbs from the 100 lbs that I lost.  I have a pretty normal appetite again and can eat most anything without getting sick.  I've heard that alcoholism is a common condition for people who still struggle with addiction and I've increased my drinking significantly over the past couple of years, which is no doubt a primary contributor to my weight gain.  I'm starting a new exercise plan and need to get back to a more healthy diet (and less drinking), but was wondering if there are any good books/resources out there to help with weight loss plans for GBP patients.

Member Services
on 9/22/14 6:53 am - Irvine, CA

Hi 

Try posting this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) for more responses from those that had the same surgery as you.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sparklegigi
on 9/22/14 12:40 pm - La Verne, CA

Hi there, I had a regain too.  I am also 4 years out and was up 60 lbs.  After two failed attempts at Weigh****chers point system I tried again this year and this time it is working with the simply filling program which is very rny friendly.  

There is something called a transfer addiction, some have it to alcohol.  Two of my friends have it, one lost her job and the other has a issue with depression.  Dr. Oz talked about it today on his show.  

I hope it all works out for you!

relovlee
on 9/22/14 1:29 pm - VA

Hi!!! Im a military wife and between dealing with kids, deployments and just normal everyday life I'd started drinking as well. However, be careful what youre drinking. I drink a glass of red wine or moscato almost everyday. DO NOT DRINK BEER!! it will definitely sit on you . Luckily i hate beer but i have friends to have had RNY and love it and have gained back also (20-60lbs). I would have to say you also need to eat in moderation. I myself am like u and can eat 99% of anything, but im picky and dont ever eat too much. Exercise too at least 3 times a week to get back in check. anything more than 10-20 lbs gained back is not good. That means your lifestyle has significantly changed and our tool is being abused. The good thing is youre not that far off. so it shouldnt be hard to get it back under control. I wish you the best of luck :)

Sincerely,
Re
White Dove
on 9/22/14 10:50 pm - Warren, OH

Once the body wakes up and realizes that it had been starved, then it gets much more efficient at holding onto weight.  That happens during the third year after surgery and weight comes back at about a pound a week.  If you don't change your eating and exercise weight gain continues.

We all can eat almost anything and we all can eat a lot of food.  That is because the body is healthy and has healed from the surgery.  I force myself to eat much less food than I am capable of eating. 

If you want to lose weight, you will need to take it off the same way you gained it.  One pound at a time.  Track your food intake and cut out 500 calories a day to go down a pound a week.  I went to Weigh****chers.  I tried lot of miracle diet plans.  What finally worked for me was cutting calories.  

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

siberiancat
on 9/24/14 5:17 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Click on my name or picture and it will take you to a reading list of books that I read pre and post gastric bypass surgery.  Reading helps me keep my "mind" thinking on lifestyle changes and positive thoughts. 

Best wishes on making lifestyle changes.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active