would like input on bothe types of wls, trying to decide which is better for me.

froggyx2
on 10/18/14 9:24 pm

Hello everyone!!

I am new to all of this, currently I am doing all of the pre work for approval by my insurance company.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and still trying to decide which WLS is best for me. I would like some input from people who have and the sleeve and people who have had the bypass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/19/14 1:28 am - UK

I am sure you will get replies. In the meantime, you will find many threads answering this if you click on the search icon (magnifying glass in blue bar) and put in things like bypass versus sleeve, RNY or VSG.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Amy R.
on 10/19/14 1:32 am

We have forums here for all of the WLS.  Here is the one for the RnY:  RnY Forum.  Here is the one for the VSG:  VSG Forum

And don't forget the Duodenal Switch:  DS Forum

Since you haven't decided, it might be worth your while to go to each forum and ask what folks like/dislike about their surgeries.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

froggyx2
on 10/19/14 3:56 am

THANK YOU

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/19/14 4:33 am - OH

If you have no medical issues that would make one surgery more appropriate than the other, it basically boils down to whether you are willing to trade taking vitamins 4-5 times a day because of lack of vitamin absorption with the RNY in order to get about 18 months of temporary caloric malabsorption (and slightly faster weight loss than with the sleeve).  

What you end up with after about 2 years is basically the same surgery which is restrictive only.  It is just that with one you have a pouch and an artificial stoma and with the other one you have a sleeve shaped stomach and your original pyloric valve.(RNY does have a small amount of permanent fat and caloric malabsorption, but it is usually pretty insignificant.)

Since only 30% of RNYers dump, statistically you probably won't so that isn't really a big consideration. Studies show that RNYers lose weight a but more quickly, but that it pretty much evens out by 24 months and that continuing to follow a healthy diet is a FAR greater indicator of success at 5 years out (and beyond) than which surgery you had (between RNY and VSG).

I had RNY, and I am glad that I had WLS and lost the weight, but if I were making the choice now (VSG wasn't an option 7 years ago), I would opt for sleeve and keep my body absorbing all of the nutrients as it was intended to do.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

froggyx2
on 10/19/14 7:15 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR IN PUT.. I AM JUST RYING TO EDUCATE MYSELF TO MAKE A WELL INFORMED DECISION.

I THINK THAT THE SLEEVE MAYBE THE BETTER CHOICE......

Lost1
on 10/19/14 7:18 am

Are you pre-diabetic? Or diabetic? This might encourage you to look into Gastric Bypass instead of the sleeve.. Good luck with whatever WLS you choose.. 

NYMom222
on 10/19/14 1:38 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had the RNY just a few months ago and am happy with it. I guess I chose it because I knew my niece had been successful for 10 years with it, and my doctor recommended it. I think many doctors recommend it for patients with a BMI over 50. That being said I didn't find these forums until after I made my decision. Not that I hadn't researched, but seeing what real people are saying and not just information is different. When I see some of the post from the VSG forums, they seem to be losing weight just as fast. I don't know the statistics on everything, but I might have considered the VSG because of the Nsaids issue, I have arthritis and it is harder than I thought. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Trouble1391011
on 10/19/14 11:39 pm

I would have looked more into the VSG but my insurance only covers RNY, so that is what I had.  I am 3 weeks out and so far so good.

Most Active