New and want guidance

QSLove
on 10/22/14 2:21 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Qalana and I am new here on the site. A little about myself...I am 29 years old and for the past 5 years have have been dealing with a very bad case of Pseudotumor Cerebri. My now ex-neuro continued to tell me for the past 3 years that I need to lose 50 lbs but would never direct me nor give me any options as to which road to take that may work for me (nutritionist/dietitian, etc). I have been trying to lose weight for the past 7 years since my last daughter was born and though I have lost lbs through several attempts it is usually only 10-15 lbs. of course which comes back. I was 265 after I had my little princess and I have been bouncing back and forth between 265 and 250 since 2007. I have tried Weigh****chers, Low Carb, Low Fat, Calorie counting, 4-6 days a week of exercise, personal trainers, you name it. Currently I have been on a 1200 calorie diet, no red meat, no sugar, only water, portion control, nothing to eat after 8pm, and I was exercising 5 days a wee****il my dizzy spells and migraines got the best of me this past September. I have been following this respectfully since April 2014 and have lost a total of 15 lbs. So this month my doctor has suggested the gastric sleeve because my health condition is becoming worse and obviously she sees, unlike my so-called know it all ex-neuro, that I need additional help in maintaining my weight loss, sticking to a diet is not the issue. I guess what I'm looking for is direction and support of course. I will tell you guys that I have Amerigroup insurance through Kansas Medicaid so any help on how to get it approved and/or if they are known to approve it will be greatly appreciated and accepted. I tired of my medical condition and I am I'm ready to be healthy and able to keep up with my 3 beautiful daughters better. So please comment away and THANK YOU in advance!

Lisarn1
on 10/23/14 5:52 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Qualana, it sounds like you've been through the mill. Sometimes WLS gives the opportunities to see the results of all your hard work. Like you, I have been meticulous with my meal plan years before I ever considered WLS. My Original choice was RNY because I felt that the malabsorption would assist in resolving comorbidities related to my diabetes. That part was successful. Success also presented itself in the ability to actually lose the weight that I tried so unsuccessfully for so many years. I think you've started on a pathway to finally resolving these issues.

Much Luck

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

QSLove
on 10/23/14 6:16 am

Thank you Lisa! I'm truly looking forward to all the rewards it will offer. I know it won't be easy, but it hasn't been for the past 7 years either. A little longer hopefully won't kill me.

NYMom222
on 10/23/14 11:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It sounds like you are ready to move forward. Usually surgeons have informational seminars. I would find several in my area and go to them all. If you call the office before you go they will usually know if they take your insurance. That's not a guarantee of approval. I think going to the seminar was important to me before I actually went for an appointment with the surgeon. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

QSLove
on 10/23/14 2:56 pm

NYMom222 thank you for your reply. I have attended the seminar and my primary has already went ahead and scheduled an appointment with a surgeon here that accepts my insurance. I have some pre-requirements of course that I have to go through, the 6 consecutive months of weight management being the longest, but I'm grateful for that because it gives me time to process everything and prepare if I happen to be approved. 

CelticRavens
on 10/23/14 11:41 am
RNY on 12/19/16

I 2nd everything NYMom222 said. I went to an information seminar 11 years ago with a coworker because his wife refused to go. He wanted someone else to hear it so he'd have someone to discuss his concerns with afterward. We were working 12 hours shifts so we had time to go over everything. He got the surgery after I transferred to another state, but because I've been to a seminar I'm not nervous about the surgery. I just have to attend one in my area now for the new information that's available after 11 years.

Think I'll take some of her advice and go to several. Just because they don't all take my insurance doesn't mean I won't learn something from different Drs.

CJ 55 6'1 HW 415 SW 349 CW 263

Surgeon's goal - 245lbs My goal - 215 -195lbs

Most Active