UPDATE ON CELTIE-SERIOUS ISSUES

CelticSoul
on 11/2/14 12:05 pm

Some of you may remember me from last year and all the many complications I had.  Things went from bad to worse.  I continued to have pain and problems maintaining nutrition and hydration so, on 4/28th I had a PEG tube placed.  That remained in for 90 days.  But, due to all the complications, I was forced to resign my job on 4/10th.  Hence, on 4/30th I lost my insurance and the PEG needed to be removed within the 90 day global period.  About 2 weeks after the removal similar issues arose again.  I had a relentless and non-healing anastomotic ulcer.  Well on 10/2 I began to have SERIOUS abdominal pain.  911 ambulance took me to hospital where (via CT) it was determined that the anastomosis/ulcer had perforated.  So, I had an emergency reversal of my Roux en Y.  I was in hospital for 6 days and came home with 2 stomach drains and an incision that went from my breasts to my umbilicus.  I was home for two days when I began to have pain when I breathed in and breathing deeply was impossible.  I also felt like I was wearing the anti-embolism wraps that you wear post operatively to avoid blood clots.  I began having a feeling of wearing gloves on my hands so, we called 911 again and back to the hospital I go.  Another CT determined that I had developed a pneumothorax and was filling up with fluid.  I stayed in the hospital for another 6 days.  Without insurance my anxiety level was off the charts. 

I've not had a favorable post op relationship with my bariatric surgeon.  These two hospitalizations added to the others since my 4/3/12 Roux en Y made 15 total.  Suffice it to say we've been decimated financially.

My point in writing is to encourage ALL PROSPECTIVE PATIENTS to discuss their post operative programs, as well as, how to communicate with your surgeon.  My surgeon lost the staff and PA that was in place when I started with her and the staff now is useless and rude.  It's not just about HAVING the surgery and losing weight that's important but, realizing that you can have serious complications like me.  Knowing that your surgeon won't farm you out to gastroenterology (siting it's not a bariatric issue) is VERY important.  I had NEVER had any intestinal problems until AFTER the Roux.  I thought I had done all my homework in choosing a highly rated bariatric surgeon but, apparently post operative care isn't her forte'.

PLEASE get everything in writing before you go under the knife.  Let my complications and difficulties impress upon you the need to clarify all aspects of the surgery. 

I now am having constant issues of frequent stooling and diarrhea.  My starting weight was 232.  My doctor's goal was for me to reach the 130's.  I am currently 115 and struggling to stay hydrated and nourished.  I am so done in and am a shadow of who I used to be even 6 months ago.

Please pray for my recovery.  I am so scared!!  I feel like I'm dying slowly.  I have no contact now with the surgeon.  Without insurance it's difficult to know what to do next.  I got my 10/2 bill yesterday and it's almost $83,000!  We're applying for public assistance as well as hospital charity.  I'm currently on state disability and am trying for permanent disability.  I NEVER imagined that I'd be in this position.  I'm so scared and alone in my experience.

Wishing everyone a successful journey.

Celtie

Wendy-Louise
on 11/2/14 9:36 pm - Canada

So sorry that you are going through this I will pray for your recovery and your finances.

Bette B.
on 11/2/14 11:35 pm

Wow. Just . . .  wow. Can't say too much, but can do this: {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

CelticSoul
on 11/3/14 12:43 am

I appreciate the prayers and well wishes.  Thank you very much.

chris_ruff
on 11/3/14 1:53 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

so sorry to hear this. you're in my thoughts.

--Christina
CelticSoul
on 11/3/14 2:10 am

Thank you for your kind thoughts!

CelticSoul
on 11/3/14 2:13 am

Thanks for the kind thoughts. 

nursebonnie
on 11/3/14 2:28 am
VSG on 08/19/14

Oh dear heaven, what an awful story. I am so sorry for your hardships, both healthwise and financial. I can only send loving, kind and gentle healing thoughts your way. Are you able to see a therapist at all to help you deal ?

Please follow all help available to you, there are some agencies that can help you run this gamut of paperwork to get benefits and aid.

Karen M.
on 11/3/14 2:33 am - Mississauga, Canada

I am so very sorry for all of this. You are in my thoughts, wishing you the best for recovery from this horrific experience.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

iloveravens
on 11/3/14 2:38 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Horrible, just horrible.  I'm so sorry for you...I'm thinking of you.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active