Preop diet troubles!!!!!

Moni_23
on 11/12/14 9:22 am

I'm having a ****ty time on this preop diet. I'm on a strictly liquid diet 8 optifast shakes a day that's it nothing more. I normally only get in 6 shakes maybe 7 but never 8 for some reason. Anyhow, I've been cheating. Day one I ate a piece if chicken, day three I had a turkey sandwhich, I ate a 5 ziti noodles on day 5 yesterday a piece of a piece of chicken(not a whole piece) and today a freakin chicken taco. I do good when I'm not home at work. When I come home I have to cook for my fiancé she refuses to cook I don't wana be around food but I'm cooking and watching them eat it's total bull**** I have 6 days left I want to do good I feel like **** man I'm just failing miserably. Any words of advice or words of encouragement is 6 days even enough

NYMom222
on 11/12/14 11:09 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Good for you for coming here and being honest. Some docs don't even require the liquid fast, but it's a good thing. The point is to shrink your liver. If you absolutely can't stand it , first have another optifast, second have a drink of something else, third. have a Sugar Free Popsicle.... and if you really must eat something, just have some protein. chicken-yes, turkey-yes, turkey sandwich-no. I am not telling you to go against your doctor's advice, but you need to make wise choices. You can do this, and you will be so glad when you are on the other side of this surgery. If your fiance refuses to cook right now then tell her to get take out. Now is not the time for you to be cooking.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ClaudiaW
on 11/12/14 11:10 am - Rockwall, TX

Every doctor is different on what they require. My doctor did not require a liquid diet. I had RNY on Oct 21. I was required three days before. No Sugar, no fat/ fat free. streamed /raw veg. No soda. I know how hard it is to cook for family. my issues where after surgery. I was so hungry from smelling the food. It was totally mental. If you do have to cheat make good choices. NO bread No sugar No fat if possible.

Good Luck!

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/14 12:04 pm
VSG on 11/13/14

I say stop cooking for the fiancee. If she wants to eat she will get up and cook. Its not fair to put you through that and if she loves you she will understand. 

kathkeb
on 11/12/14 1:58 pm

Sorry you are struggling.

Honestly, your fiancé is a grown woman (I hope) and she needs to learn how to self-manage.

She should be fully supporting you, making or buying her own meals and keeping them away from you as much as possible while you struggle thought this.

I would not stand for a non-supportive partner.

Why don't you tell her that she is on her own for meals, and after work go for a walk or to the Library or something until after meal time.  By the time you get home, tell her that you expect dinner to be over.

As far as the shakes go, try to do a 'double' once or twice a day, if you need to.

When I did Medufast, I was allowed 5 shakes a day ..... I did a double hot mocha in the morning, single shake for lunch and double hot mocha in the evening.  I got my allotted protein and calories but only had to deal with 'eating' three times a day.

Kath

Price S.
on 11/12/14 8:27 pm - Mills River, NC

Compliance now is one thing. It takes on a whole new meaning once you have surgery.  So for now, if you need to eat something, celery or cukes are fine.  Our pre-op diet was 5 optifast shakes and one small food meal, just 3 oz protein, 1 c veggies, 1 small fruit.  They are all different.  But we could have all the cukes and celery we wanted.

Do not let your fiancé do this to you.  It is important now, but even more important once you have surgery.  Then it can be life threatening to not follow the plan.  So stick with it and have her cook for herself or learn to shop or whatever.  You will be eating differently from her for quite a while and she may as well get used to it now.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MsPayne731
on 11/12/14 9:25 pm - Dexter, MI
VSG on 11/25/14

I am so sorry! I know exactly how you are feeling. I am only on day 3 of my pre-op diet and today it is kicking my backside! I have thankfully not cheated yet  but every day is a struggle. Here is what I tell myself when I smell pizza or while I am cooking for my kids at home becuase I have to cook for my 3 everyday..."I want this, a lifetime of healty tastes much better than ??????" Also remember that for a while after surgery, you are going to be battling head hunger so I treat this pre-op diet like my first challenge in my new life when I feel like I want to grab that chunk of salmon or eat that chocolate chip cookie I tell myself "I am stronger than the challenge put before me, I will succeed becuase failure is NOT an option" Don't forget to drink lots of water and try to do a little bit of excercise when you are feeling the urge to eat, even get up and walk around the house to get your mind off of the thing you want to eat. You got this! you can do this stay strong and count the days before you are on the losers bench for ever!

37 yo / 5'6 / HW: 325 / CW:215 / GW: 165 /  Surgery 11/25/14 

Mary Gee
on 11/13/14 2:52 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

"I have to cook for my fiancé she refuses to cook" !!!!????!!!!  

Tell darling fiance to grow up and cook for herself.  Why should you "have" to cook for her?  Is she physically unable to cook?  If so, tell her to order in.

What are you going to do post-op?  You'll be on liquids for an extended period then.  Get yourself prepared for that, because that's the toughest stage of all.

Hope you get through this.  WLS is a wonderful tool, but you must commit to following your surgeon's plan if you want to be successful.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

hollykim
on 11/13/14 2:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM Pacific Time, Moni_23 wrote:

I'm having a ****ty time on this preop diet. I'm on a strictly liquid diet 8 optifast shakes a day that's it nothing more. I normally only get in 6 shakes maybe 7 but never 8 for some reason. Anyhow, I've been cheating. Day one I ate a piece if chicken, day three I had a turkey sandwhich, I ate a 5 ziti noodles on day 5 yesterday a piece of a piece of chicken(not a whole piece) and today a freakin chicken taco. I do good when I'm not home at work. When I come home I have to cook for my fiancé she refuses to cook I don't wana be around food but I'm cooking and watching them eat it's total bull**** I have 6 days left I want to do good I feel like **** man I'm just failing miserably. Any words of advice or words of encouragement is 6 days even enough

why aren't you getting the other two shakes in? Maybe if you got them in,you wouldn't feel the need to cheat. 

Cheating with strictly protein is one thing,even though it goes against your plan ,and I am not advocating that,but cheating with carbs,and sugars etc is those foods defeat the purpose of the diet which is to shrink your liver. 

Some docs will stop the operation if they get in there and see you have not been compliant. Do t know about your doc,but I have read it here on the forum.

also agree that fiancé can take care of herself. You are her partner, not her mother, you didn't take her to raise did you? 

Moni_23
on 11/13/14 9:02 am

Hey guys thanks for your advice!! Today I did good I'm off work tomorrow that will be the real challenge...I guess I should rephrase it to she doesn't know how to cook and she doesn't like that her food doesn't come out like mine.....then I always taste the food to make sure it's ok I take a bite and spit it in the garbage to see if it's seasoned ok and i think that's when I give in especially on a stressful day. I know it's important, I've lost weight my pants are fitting looser. Tonight I explained to her that during meal time I'm going to the gym!! I want this so bad And it's so close!!! I can't keep messing up. 

Also so any tips on wat I can do to get my meals in?? I'm really concerned about not getting enough in when I go back to work... I'm always on the go it's very fast paced and I literally forget to eat.

Most Active