Hungry-Girl Recipes

huskergalWsD
on 12/7/14 1:29 am

Anyone love this Recipe Book as much as I do? 

Daily Emails Recipes Books Videos TV Show Subscribe News Chew The Right Thing Ask Hungry Girl Weekly Weigh In Girls Bite Out
Home Divider Healthy Eating Advice Divider The Truth About No-Calorie Food Products: No-Calorie Salad Dressing, No-Calorie Sweetener, No-Calorie Spray, and More
Share-fb Share-pint Share-twitter Share-email

The Truth About No-Calorie Food Products: No-Calorie Salad Dressing, No-Calorie Sweetener, No-Calorie Spray, and More

Sharebtn Click the share button to confirm. Do it now!
MON TUES WED
THURS FRI

Hi Hungry Girl,

I just discovered a brand of salad dressings and condiments that have zero calories per serving! But I have to wonder... Is this too good to be true?

Skeptic in Savannah

Hi Skeptic,

Sorry to be the bearer of not-so-great news, but chances are, it is too good to be true. The same goes for many other so-called calorie-free products. Here's the need-to-know info...

The Truth About No-Calorie Food Products: No-Calorie Sweetener, No-Calorie Spray, No-Calorie Salad DressingThe Rule: According to the FDA, if a product has less than 5 calories per serving, the label can claim it has 0 calories. That may seem minor, but the stats can really add up... especially if the serving size is unrealistically small.

Zero-Calorie Dressings and Condiments: First of all, a lot of these don't taste all that great. Second, the true calorie counts are a bit of a mystery. My advice? Skip 'em altogether, and opt for low-calorie kinds. Click here and here for some of my top picks!

No-Calorie Sweetener Packets: The average no-calorie sweetener packet actually has 4 calories. That's still a calorie bargain compared to real sugar, which has about 11 calories per packet -- especially since it takes at least two sugar packets to equal the sweetness in one no-calorie sweetener packet. And with so many varieties on shelves these days -- including stevia-based natural picks -- there really is something for everyone.

Nonstick Cooking Spray: The labels on most sprays say 0 calories... for a 1/4-second spray. Um, what? That's practically impossible to even count. A more realistic 1-second spray has 5 to 10 calories and about half a gram of fat. Still pretty impressive! There are times when regular oil works better than the spray, so just measure it out -- a teaspoon has around 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. P.S. Check out this all-natural grapeseed oil spray!

No-Calorie Butter Spray: While a 5-spray serving has less than 5 calories, a full teaspoon (about 25 sprays) has around 20 calories and 2 grams of fat. That's actually more than an equal amount of light whipped butter/light buttery spread, so keep that in mind if you tend to overspray.

Takeaway Tips! If the serving size on a no-calorie product is much smaller than the amount you're using, or if you're using it often throughout the day, be aware that you're racking up calories, and keep track of them -- 4 calories per serving is a safe estimate. And if you use a lot of said product, you might want to consider low-calorie options instead, just so you have a better idea of how many calories you're actually consuming.

Hope this info helps!

Hungry for More?

Send To A Friend

Save your friend from a potential "no-calorie" disaster... Click "Send to a Friend" right now!

CHEW ON THIS:

Today, November 12th, is National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day. We'll raise a slice to that!

Have a question for Hungry Girl? Send it in! She answers new Qs each week (but cannot respond to emails personally).

Click here for a printable, text-only version of this page.
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Twitter

We may have received free samples of food, which in no way influences whether these products are reviewed favorably, unfavorably, mentioned with indifference, or mentioned at all. Click for more about our editorial and advertising policies.

*The PointsPlus® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Hungry Girl and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weigh****chers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.

Hungry Girl Inc., 18034 Ventura Blvd. #503, Encino, CA 91316

For guilt-free recipes and tips 'n tricks, sign up for FREE daily emails at Hungry-Girl.com!
  HG Video   HG Books   HG TV Show   News   Chew The Right Thing   Ask HG   Weigh In   Girls Bite Out   Recipes Who Is HG?   Contact Us   Subscribe   Unsubscribe   Home Editorial Policy   Advertising Information   Privacy Policy   Terms & Conditions Copyright © 2014 Hungry Girl. All Rights Reserved.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

hollykim
on 12/7/14 4:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

not me,I think she uses too many processed off the shelf products. Not enough whole,healthy food for me. 

Gwen M.
on 12/7/14 6:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't, for similar reasons as the post above me.  I'd rather stick to whole, minimally or non-processed foods.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kathkeb
on 12/7/14 7:53 am

I prefer to eat smaller portions of real food.

As others have said, she focuses too much on fake and processed foods for my liking.

Kath

Hislady
on 12/7/14 7:56 am - Vancouver, WA

I don't care for her either, many if her recipes have too many carbs, she's old school 70's thinking that carbs aren't a problem. I go along with the newer research proven weight loss ideas that are heavy on protein and healthy fats instead of the higher carb low or no fat, old thinking. I'd rather use a small amount of real sweetener than sugar free additives.She is just not very well educated in the real world of eating.

KathyA999
on 12/7/14 11:18 am

I'm with Hislady, Hungry Girl's approach to healthy eating is pretty old style.  Higher carb, "fat is bad."  I follow a fairly low carb, moderate protein, high-fat (good fats) food plan, so her recipes don't work for me.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

NYMom222
on 12/8/14 9:46 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I have enjoyed some of her recipes. My problem with her recipes is too many ingredients. Not practical.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active