multivitamins

lo_ri_p
on 12/17/14 6:12 am - Ocala, FL

I have always had stomach upset with multivitamins.  I am 2 weeks post-op for gastric sleeve surgery.   I have had very little nausea and no vomiting except when I took Bariatric Advantage chewable.  The problem with experimenting with different multivits is that I cannot find other vitamins with the recommended amount of Thiamine (B1).  I looked into a thiamine supplement but its 10x more than recommended.  Does anyone have sugestions?

Member Services
on 12/17/14 9:54 am - Irvine, CA

Hi lo_ri_p,

Check out PatchMD, they have great products and you put the patch on once a day and forget them.  When you click on this link a chat window will pop up and you can ask someone about the Thiamine (B1) amount in the Multivitamin patch.

http://www.patchmd.com

We hope this works out for you.

Happy Holidays!

poet_kelly
on 12/18/14 9:47 am - OH

I think the multivitamin patches are a poor choice.  While one patch has 100% of the DV of thiamine, which is what the ASMBS recommends for VSG patients, they have NO pantothenic acid, NO biotin, NO copper (all things the ASMBS recommends) and a VSG patient would need to use two patches to get enough vitamin A (RNY patients would need to wear FOUR to get enough vitamin A).  They aren't great products and I am disappointed to see OH recommending them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nancy
on 12/17/14 11:12 pm, edited 12/17/14 11:12 pm - Kasson, MN

I use flintstone chewables,  they have all the things you need.  they also absorb better because you can chew them up.

poet_kelly
on 12/18/14 1:51 am - OH

They don't have all the things you need.  Well, maybe they have all you need, if for some reason you do not need minerals like selenium. But the ASMBS says all WLS patients should take a multi with selenium.

Chewable vitamins do not absorb better than vitamins you swallow, either, according to the ASMBS. 

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 12/18/14 3:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Flintstones are missing key nutrients that adults need and children don't.  Try Centrum chewables for the grown folks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

poet_kelly
on 12/18/14 1:50 am - OH

Celebrate vitamins should have enough thiamine.  Centrum should have enough thiamine.  Are what about switching to the Bariatric Advantage capsules rather than chewables?

lo_ri_p
on 12/27/14 3:57 am - Ocala, FL

Thank you for this suggestion.  I was able to exchange the Bariatric Advantage brand for Celebrate. Not only do they taste great but more importantly I did not get nauseous. I think they will work out.  Thanks again

Valerie G.
on 12/18/14 3:29 am, edited 12/18/14 3:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

As a sleeve patient, you do not need bariatric vitamins, per se'.  Centrum is well received for most people's stomachs, and complete.  They even have chewables, but if you take it nice and slow, you may be able to handle the pills.  I was taking them when I first got home from the hospital.  It was slow- but I got them down.

And forget about Flintstones - they are geared for children that don't need certain nutrients and YOU DO.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

lo_ri_p
on 12/21/14 1:14 am - Ocala, FL

Thank you for all of your advice.  The comments gave me a few more options to experiment with.

Most Active